Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
royaldj

Secret levels

You guys think or hope that there will be secret levels in the new DOOM? A secret Wolfenstein level or old school DOOM level would be cool.

I want to fight some TNO enemies like that robo dog and the big robots, but they'd have to take out anything related to nazis though considering this game is uncensored in Germany

I don't think id will go to such humour.
If by secret levels, you mean shortcut then maybe.

But thay doesn't mean I don't want to see some humour like map31 and map32.

Please no secret Wolf3D level; they were overdone in The Old Blood and the game's levels aren't that interesting enough.
A secret level or two would be cool, but that's a lot of resources to be spent on someone most players wouldn't even see; sadly I don't see it happening.

wheresthebeef said:

Please no secret Wolf3D level; they were overdone in The Old Blood and the game's levels aren't that interesting enough.
A secret level or two would be cool, but that's a lot of resources to be spent on someone most players wouldn't even see; sadly I don't see it happening.

I think we'll see something :)

Marcaek said:

Putting snippets of old game levels in your new games is the lamest pandering.

It would be nice if, if they do do a remake of a classic Doom level, they actually show people how you should remake a level from such an old engine when you're using newer tech instead of just painstakingly remaking something to the very last vertex and ending up with something that's completely redundant and pointless.

The problem is ID hasn't been creative with their Wolfenstein levels, it's literally a copy paste job.

I think it would be interesting to see a full remake of E3M9.

Holy shit, it's been so long since the last time I saw a "secret level", I think not ever again since Quake 2.

MetroidJunkie said:

I think it would be interesting to see a full remake of E3M9.

While I doubt if they did do E3M1 / M9 that they'd do this, it would be interesting to see an attempt at somehow preserving the flatness of the building when you see it at the start. Maybe there'd be a way to preserve that without looking flat-out goofy, like it does in classic Doom.

MrDeAD1313 said:

I think we'll see something :)

I would absolutely LOVE an actual secret level; not a simple remake from another game, but a level id spends time creating unique assets for, areas and assets not found anywhere else in the game, like a short 10 minute level taking place in a huge multi-story master suite that Sarge or someone lived in that was overtaken by demons.
I just don't realistically see them spending time on it, especially with how much they are doing for multiplayer and Snapmap.

wheresthebeef said:

I just don't realistically see them spending time on it, especially with how much they are doing for multiplayer and Snapmap.

...Which is essentially zero, plus some oversight. They literally offloaded the majority of work on those two things to other studios so they could focus on the campaign. There are definitely secret areas, but I don't know if there will be a whole "level" per se.

AirRaid said:

...Which is essentially zero, plus some oversight. They literally offloaded the majority of work on those two things to other studios so they could focus on the campaign. There are definitely secret areas, but I don't know if there will be a whole "level" per se.

There's alway some sort of secret area in almost all FPS games.
But if id plans on a secret level then it be for a bunch of purposes.

• A massive reward for the player, if the player can find the level entrance.
  • A tribute to something or someone, just for the sake easter eggs or in loving memory...
  • A shortcut, thus skipping minor maps to the major ones.

I would love to see a Doom 4 secret level. Like you stumble through an area just by accident and it's just there! Like the excitement you'd feel finding secret levels in the original Doom. My favorite was E1M3 with the acid pool in the center, and you see the entrance open up when you cruise by the second time with the key. Made you wonder, "how do I get there!?" Those are fun to discover!

At 'best' it'll be a stupid easter egg reference to the original game or something. I miss the days when secret levels were actually part of the game, a bonus content that you had to discover to have more maps to play.

But secret content is pretty much redundant these days anyway. You'll see it discovered and detailed 5h after the game launches thanks to 'teh internets' so what's the point of making it 'secret'.

Touchdown said:

But secret content is pretty much redundant these days anyway. You'll see it discovered and detailed 5h after the game launches thanks to 'teh internets' so what's the point of making it 'secret'.

I agree, the internet world we live in ruined that, but you could just avoid sites or forums detailing any secrets, and try to find them organically! I tend to avoid anything about a game until I've fully experienced it. I still hope it's not a nostalgia throwback.

At the very least if there isn't an E1M1 reference or homage i'll be sad. But going beyond the 'gotta have the reference that everything references' would be cool.

I think it would be better if they integrated a classic level into the new Doom engine like Classic Doom 3 sorta does with Doom 3 instead of just perfectly remaking the Classic Doom level because that'd be incredibly pointless. I get nostalgia but, if I want to play a pixel perfect E1M1, the original Doom still exists for you to go do that. I want to see them take full advantage of the new engine to sort of do things they would have done had they had this technology back then. Kind of like how Ocarina of Time 3D's Link models look closer to the concept art of the original N64 game that couldn't be fully realized at the time due to hardware limitations.

I like secret levels that feel like they belong to the game world, not something gimmicky that has Easter Egg!! written all over it. Quake 1 and 2 had good secret levels, like Ziggurat Vertigo.

Edit: basicly what Touchdown already said.