Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Azan yousuf

ZDaemon bug

Hey guys. I have a problem with ZDaemon. I have re-installed it many times but it never runs. It auto updates and then closes itself saying can't connect to master server. I can still play locally, but it won't connect me to the Internet. I have the latest version and I've installed it from Zdaemon.org. I've checked my Internet, it is working but still. Please help me.

Thanks

Azan yousuf said:

Thanks, it works now. But when I connect to any server it says something about virustotal.com.

What's that ? ZDaemon is not supposed to tell you that .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

What's that ? ZDaemon is not supposed to tell you that .

When I connect to a server, the console opens and it says that you have to check your zdaemon with virustotal.com. I dont know wtf is going on i just wanna play :/

Strangely, it looks like this was an old bug that's since been fixed: http://www.zdaemon.org/?CMD=news_item&ID=913&RID=1

Perhaps at this point it would be worth making a ZDaemon forum account? This is an oddly specific bug, all I can suggest is reinstalling everything from scratch, but it looks as though you've done that. I'm very curious what's causing it and would like to know what ends up solving it.

So many securities patches for 9.5 avg/day player base. Wish they could actually improve the port for competitive purposes and stuff. heh

If ZDaemon was FLOSS, it would probably be my favorite port, owing to its demo compatibility and demo freecam features. Since it isn't FLOSS, and since Odamex has neither Demo Freecam nor a stable demo protocol (and since Odamex hasn't been in development for a few months now...), I'm stuck with Crispy Doom, Boom, and MBF for multiplayer demo recording and PrBoom-Plus for multiplayer demo playback. They're all great ports, but it's a shame that I'm unable to have ZDoom 1.23 features and a stable demo recording protocol while retaining my FLOSS viewpoints.

Somehow a closed source program having lots of security patches doesn't surprise me.

edit: Since ZDaemon doesn't seem to support the ability to record videos internally with every frame intact or dump pictures, I probably wouldn't have used it even if I wasn't a FLOSS nut. I know 12 years is a long time, but I feel like this is still relevant, especially Da_ManiaC's comments.

Theyre never ever gonna implement something like that.
If _you_ want it to be avi or mpg or whatever, its up to you, not them.

All other ppl that want it that way just use Fraps or Snagit and their done.

This next quote is even more amusing.

never, is a doom engine going to have an option , that will export a demo in movie format with the desired codec/framerate or whatever.

Ah, PrBoom-Plus and hindsight...

Danfun64 said:

They're all great ports, but it's a shame that I'm unable to have ZDoom 1.23 features and a stable demo recording protocol while retaining my FLOSS viewpoints.

In all fairness, maintaining demo compatibility for an actively-developed port - or even game, really - is an incredibly difficult problem. It essentially shackles you to old network protocol messages - or in the case of Doom's "just record the keystrokes" demos old game logic - in perpetuity. Even today big game studios, for all their expertise and resources, sometimes have to break demo backwards compatibility every so often.

You're not the only one who wishes there was an actively maintained ZDoom 1.23b33-era, port though. I tried to get the thing to compile on a modern system for a demonstration video, and finally managed it (I think it only worked in either Debug or Release builds, which scares the crap out of me already), but some of the code I stumbled upon in the process was not meant for mortal eyes.

Danfun64 said:

As a non-coder, what makes that bit scary?

I might as well say up front that I am novice at C++.

First off, the use of multiple layers of nested macros, not only here but elsewhere in the code, makes things incredibly difficult to follow and pick apart. The liberal use of ## preprocessor concatenation line-noise didn't help matters.

What blows my mind are what in the actual fuck the data segment pragmas are doing, not only here but elsewhere in the code. It seems to me like some of these variables are being put into data segments with unique names, and I have no clue why - or what the $ suffixes mean.

I think Blzut3 explained to me what was going on as I was doing the source-diving, and why Randi implemented things the way she did in general, and at the time I decided that the amount of time it would take to come to grips with the code was time that I felt was better spent elsewhere, on things that didn't give me headaches.

There were probably other things that confused the hell out of me that I simply don't recall at the moment. Perhaps somebody much better at C++ than me would be a little less intimidated, but I have heard other port programmers react to ZDoom's codebase with similar amounts of confoundment, so who knows, really.