Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

DAY OF DOOM(TM) MARCH 29TH!!!!!!

DoomzRules said:

Doom! I swear as soon as Doom releases on PS4 and PC, Halo 5 and the Xbox One are dead.

Yeah, nah. If someone has Halo 5 and an Xbox One in the first place and are dedicated to it, Doom isn't going to pull them away from their systems any time soon. I doubt Doom will even trump any major games this year, although i'd like to be pleasantly surprised.

DoomzRules said:

Doom is a PC game first, Playstation/Nintendo 64 game second, and everyone else third.

Not this Doom. It's designed with consoles in mind first, the PC isn't an afterthought but it isn't the primary focus.

Deatheye said:

so that's why the MP looks like call of doody

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certain_Affinity

yeah i dont understand how anyone can possible think its comparable to quake 3 or a "fast paced shooter". If you think this game's quake 3, u never played quake 3 properly or understood its movement mechanics to any decent extent.

Before the event started they were playing promo clips for about 30 min. In between the promo clips they were playing some sweet doom music. It sounded less like techno. Does anyone know if this is official music or not.

wheresthebeef said:

jesus lordie Almond's bitching was fucking shit

more like most of my concerns were and still are legitimately justifiable and agreed upon by people here and that hurts you personally lol

also if you bothered actually reading my posts you'd realize i was merely talking about multiplayer and mentioned my interest on SP on several occassions, but you didn't because you got probably increasingly angry as you kept reading

E: omg a typo -.-

I'll be in the minority to agree with most of Almond's points because that entire MP presentation was very underwhelming. As I watched the stream, the gameplay didn't seem anything super special and hardly entertaining. Of course playing and watching are two different things and I'm sure those playing enjoyed the game. However, as a whole I'd said the game as presented is probably a solid 7/10, fun but nothing I'd play for long term.

Someone stated the MP portion was outsourced and it shows. The single player stuff is pretty decent and will probably be better than the MP part. This is a deal breaker for me, however.

Ru5tK1ng said:

Someone stated the MP portion was outsourced and it shows. The single player stuff is pretty decent and will probably be better than the MP part. This is a deal breaker for me, however.

there was a thread touching upon the matter long ago

deatheye linked the wiki article for certain affinity literally last page, i briefly mentioned it but it seems some people here had no idea/had forgotten about it??

as it stands, ID are the ones working on the campaign, escalation studios are working on snapmap (and possibly idstudio 6 but theres like zero info on that) and CA are doing the multiplayer

sleepii said:

yeah i dont understand how anyone can possible think its comparable to quake 3 or a "fast paced shooter". If you think this game's quake 3, u never played quake 3 properly or understood its movement mechanics to any decent extent.

Who compared it to Quake 3? Of course it's not Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament. However, if you compare it to typical modern shooters, it's definitely faster paced, and - again - that's only what's been demonstrated by inexperienced, non-Doomer random Youtube gamers or E3 demo players! I feel like this has been overlooked by many people. We have little footage of experienced Doom deathmatchers or fans of arena shooters playing. This makes a difference.

So wait, usually i'm ontop of info about Doom 4 but someone I know mentioned the game looks great for couch play and I realized
There's not been any talk whatsoever of splitscreen for this game, has there?

Relax. Its was just some team deathmatch in a few different mp maps.
Nothing new or breaking was supposed to be revealed anyway. No need to get all flustered thinking the games going to fail all of a sudden...
The mp gameplay actually seems more fluid compared to the older alpha, I also noted improved textures lighting and deeper shading so far. There were some pretty good kills, not a bad video. Looks pretty fun, even though I prefer coop and singleplayer for DooM.

TheMightyHeracross said:

Where'd Carlton Marine go? D:

I'm really sad I never got to see it. I hope Ling can at least add a static version to the roster of randomized pictures on the banner. It may not be as golden as the bootleg 3DO baron, but as a fan of Fresh Prince of Bel-air I think it's pretty fucking rad.

Movement speed seems SLIGHTLY faster than in the Alpha. Seems to be about as fast as Quake 2. Definitely faster than modern shooters.

Jaxxoon R said:

I'm really sad I never got to see it. I hope Ling can at least add a static version to the roster of randomized pictures on the banner. It may not be as golden as the bootleg 3DO baron, but as a fan of Fresh Prince of Bel-air I think it's pretty fucking rad.

Well, I didn't catch the second image that had the Doomguy face, but..

"waiting for servers". This is good because now they can fix that until release :)
It looks great. They have indeed improved the graphics, sounds and ui. I read some have complained about the lack of music. Yeah, i do agree with that. But maybe, just maybe, they lowered it just for this event? Imagine having music, people talking and screaming in the background all the time. It would have been pointless.

I have played the alpha and no, its not as fast as quake. But remember, this is not quake, nor unreal tournament, its doom. They have to make it a bit modern, or else, i think very few people will actually buy it. We already have quake live if you want faster movement and the new unreal tournament (whick are in alpha right now and free 2 play).

Im actually looking more forward to the campaign than mp, because im very curious how they have mixed modern with oldschool roots. Gosh, it has been 2 long now since we had a decent oldschool fps sp-experience (if you dont count the latest WTNO, the new shadow warrior).

Its less than 2 months away from release. Its just a beta. And besides, this is played on a controller. It will be faster on a pc with mouse and keyboard.

The first ~45 seconds has intro music from the guys channel. Then it stops and you get to hear a slightly annoying australian talking instead.

DoomzRules said:

Doom! I swear as soon as Doom releases on PS4 and PC, Halo 5 and the Xbox One are dead.

No question about it. I mean let's not kid ourselves here folks.... the PS4 is probably the ideal console to play Doom on as opposed to the Xbox One.

But if you have a gaming PC you know what to play Doom on. ;)

Doom is a PC game first, Playstation/Nintendo 64 game second, and everyone else third.

That is actually one of the stupidest things I have ever seen.

Good job, that is impressive.

What makes you think that everyone is just going to drop their shit and abandon their Xbox One because "PS4 is better for Doom" because you said so?

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Is that the background music of the level or just the guy who recorded the video ?

Good question. We just have 2 wait and see on 31st mars :)

That was a pretty embarrassing thing that I watched last night.

I don't have much tolerance for American "announcers" at the best of times, but two clued up kids could've done a better presentation, how many times did that bearded idiot say he was psyched anyway?

But more seriously, I just think the game doesn't look very good.

mrthejoshmon said:

That is actually one of the stupidest things I have ever seen.

Good job, that is impressive.

What makes you think that everyone is just going to drop their shit and abandon their Xbox One because "PS4 is better for Doom" because you said so?

No, because the PS4 is probably going to run Doom a hell of a lot smoother than the Xbox One.

The PS4 has better specs and is closer to a PC spec-wise. Furthermore, when Doom came to the consoles, the first actual good port was the Playstation one which came out in 1995 (two years after the original on PC).

Besides, if Fallout 4 is any indicator... it's that PS4 runs games better than the Xbox One.

Am I saying that people will drop their shit for a PS4 and Doom?

No. But if Bethesda agrees to a PS4/Doom bundle, that would be fucking cool, and well.... I think Doom will SIGNIFICANTLY outsell the other FPS games coming out.

I think that Doom'16 will be a failure, similiar to RAGE. It will definitely get buried under a shitload of other game releases.

AnonimVio said:

I think that Doom'16 will be a failure, similiar to RAGE. It will definitely get buried under a shitload of other game releases.

na

AnonimVio said:

If DOOM 3 managed to be successful, winning dozens of awards, I'm pretty sure DOOM '16 will easily top that.

But Doom 3 released during a more experimental time where just the lighting alone got it acclaim, and for years people decried it because it wasn't the Doom they knew. I mean, hell, 2004 had Resident Evil 4, Half-Life 2, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, a large variety where the most direct competition was another singleplayer-oriented PC shooter. Doom '16 is up against stiff competition in a market saturated with both triple-A and indie shooters that either have more casual buyer appeal or do an arena shooter better than Doom does.

I think the biggest problem facing the new Doom is that the name isn't as big as it use to be. This isn't the 90's/early 2000's where Doom was a massively popular and everybody knew what it was. This is 2016 and most young people don't have any experience with the franchise.

That said, I still think the game is good enough that it will be able to sell well simply by being a very good game. I would be shocked if it sold under 1 million units.