Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ununsnack

Why is my ping so high?

Pick a different server :P Ping is average and fluctuates during games sometimes, make sure you have nothing running and try some dsl tweaker like This

also depends on how long the distance is from where you're at to the location of the host

That reminds me of UT...although I have dsl, it took about 10min to load the game up and it was completely unplayable when playing online, therefore I got rid of it :/

Q3 runs barely ok at the lowest resolution...but still very choppy

Freezes happen in Doom, Zdaemon online to me as well, sometimes.

Well..that explains it...

I have a 233mhz cpu...and can barely play cs and ut on it... but both are fairly playably...

Hmm, I have experience in online gaming and it turns out connection speed AND computer speed make a difference...
I used to play StarCraft on battle.net with my old pentium 1 on a 56k connection and I used to be able to rule "Mass attack" games as long as there where only 4 or so other players with under 100 units moving at once on the whole map.
Multiplayer Aliens Vs. Predator 2 on my newer Pentium 4 is better.
16 bit color works ALOT faster than 32 bit, even when playing at a 1200 rez with FULL detail and only 32mb vram.
Doom at a 37k or higher makes my ping go to 140-190 or lower/higher at an 800x600 rez with packet compression.I can be the LEAST laggyest person in a coop with tons of lost souls and see no lag... only a monster blink once.I say if your connection goes below 36k reconnect to the internet.My average connection is 38.2k
I connect at 41.2-44.1k alot.Thats where I get my advantage in dm.
My highest connection ever was around 46/7k.
Do I have good connection speeds?
If it helps, I use At&t.

fodders said:

People manage to play with 200 ping.

Makes me think of the old days on a 56k in Europe, and a certain player called Washi.
Your ping depends on your connection type and nothing else. If the game looks choppy then your machine is too slow, that doesn't have anything to do with your ping. Your hardware doesn't matter if you look at ping/rate. Of course you should not upload ISOs while playing online either.

fodders said:

People manage to play with 200 ping.

I manage to "play" with a much higher ping than 200 - I only have 56k and I'm used to it now. Hey fod, do you know any sites like that that tell you how to tweak a 56k modem?

Sorry if I missed out any As, the A key isn't working properly on this computer, which only using because I'm testing the Internet on it (I just set up net connection sharing between my two computers via Direct Cable Connection, because I have no (working) LAN cards). It took me ages to work out how to do that. No wonder I only got a fucking D in GCSE ICT ¦[ My mate got a U, and we were both told we'd get A*s at the beginning of Year 10 - that's what happens when your fucking teacher has a nervous breakdown and leaves his teaching career half-way through your coursework period! Now I'm gonna go and do something stupid... I don't mean kill myself, I mean I'm gonna try and play Doom online on a 180 Mhz PC, through a null modem cable, connected to a 350 Mhz PC, connected to the Internet by a 56k modem. ROFL, I'm probably gonna have a ping of something like two million.

Hm, I am on a 56k modem and do live in Germany.

My ping usually is around 200-300. The framerates I have are very nice, zdaemon is smooth as silk on the P200mmx that I bought because zdaemon is not on the Mac by now :)
I doubt that high pings have much to do with a lack of cpu. We are talking about Doom, the people play deathmatches since 1993. Of course many people have dsl now and they set the speed marks in the game.

Whenever I play a game that is crowded by many players who have high pings, I have a good game. When I play 1-to-1 against someone who has a ping of 50, I don´t have any chance. Then, usually my single barreled shotgun performs like a muzzle loader, with a one-second delay...

Speaking about high pings: The highest ping I had so far was a 7.000, but maybe this was caused by a crash, or something like that.

fodders said:

modem guide
more
another
Should be enough info there to sort all aspects of modem out.

fodders said:

You should try Doomserv, chances are you will get a good game with right speed player on.

The only game I've played on DoomServ that worked perfectly (apart from the lag) was that one with you, fod. Ever since then, it's either not worked at all, or it has worked, but the sound is cocked up - everything echoes really badly.

Use the option to disable sounds in Doomserv main window, sometimes, when a game starts the game start sound fucks your sound initialisation up for game.

LOL, I actually tried running a ZDaemon server with maxrate 1 once. Heh, it kind of worked. I seemed to be the only player (of three) that could move in the direction I intended though :D

Zdaemon client won't really accept maxrate 1. If you issue that command, then query the rate (by typing rate), you will see that it's set to 100. I usually have rate 3000 and when I tried rate 1 or rate 100, there was absolutely no difference in my ping to a distant server, compared to rate 3000. I'm on DSL. Ping was fluctuating between 250 and 450 and I could see no difference at all. However, I was the only one in that server and did not see if there was any difference in weapons behavior.

Thanks for the modem tips guys. I was just playing q3arena and noticed quite an improvement. Heh, I'm thinking of getting a second phone line and running another 56k modem. That'd be nice. And prolly only another 15 bucks a month. :D

I'd like to do that, but Freeserve Anytime only lets you connect from the phone number you registered with, I've tried it before.