Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

Mick Gordon posted the Full Main Menu theme song

Seems unnecessarily stop-start. I like it overall, but there's a sense of incompleteness about it to me. It seems like it builds up really well for a heavy breakdown of sorts, and then sorta dwindles and gives up. It only really hits the expected sound at about 3:35ish, which I imagine most people aren't going to hear.

Dragonfly said:

Seems unnecessarily stop-start. I like it overall, but there's a sense of incompleteness about it to me. It seems like it builds up really well for a heavy breakdown of sorts, and then sorta dwindles and gives up. It only really hits the expected sound at about 3:35ish, which I imagine most people aren't going to hear.

Sure but you have to remember this is music for the menu. You don't want to hear that pounding riff constantly as soon as you boot up the game. That would be awful. if you're messing around with settings and customisation and stuff, you'll get into the main meat of the tune easy, but having it open pretty soft for the first couple of minutes allows most people to go through the menus and get into a game without hearing the same riff over and over and over, which would get annoying. I know it did in Doom 3, as cool as that tune was, it got old.

Correct AirRaid - The only way I see it being played that long is if it continues on past the start screen and is present in the multiplayer lobbies, or you just boot the game up, and go off an get a drink or w/e while it loads. But yes, your point about repetition over many hours of play is a very valid point.

Not bad. Much better than the Doom 3 title song. The guitars at the beginning remind me a bit to Sign of Evil.

It was promising at first, but it turns out to be disappointing to me.

The beginning sounds okay, but gets really tedious, and when things start to get louder it keeps making pauses and gets annoying. At the most intense part I think the distortion is too dense, and the second melody that comes in sounds awful.

Of course I'm criticising according to my taste in music.

I like it.
It reminds me the OST of DOOM movie or Resident Evil 1 (movie).

Of course it's not at the level of Quake 1 OST, but I like it more than DOOM 3 OST.

I like it. However the stop / start segments were a little off to me as well. I would prefer they just combine the segments and have a 10 second heavy moment that dwindles to something soft over having a few seconds of heavy and a few seconds of silence.

But overall, I do like it.

Tetzlaff said:

Much better than the Doom 3 title song.

That's not much of a yardstick imo. That song aspired to be a generic, circa 2004 angst metal riff.

Anyway yeah, I dig this one.

Very well done. This is definitely closer to old-school Industrial than the Alpha theme, but the incorporation of dark ambient still makes it feel different overall.

And I like the "stop/start" section in the middle. You guys were saying it was repetitive, but it was just one section. It worked as a good tease.

I really like it! 1000 better than Doom 3's main menu music. I hope they wont change it in the final build.

I think it's good, it has everything Doom is: Mystery, despair, force, sure it can be weird to put this all together in the same Song, but I think it represents the essence of the game quite good.

AirRaid said:

Sure but you have to remember this is music for the menu. You don't want to hear that pounding riff constantly as soon as you boot up the game. That would be awful. if you're messing around with settings and customisation and stuff, you'll get into the main meat of the tune easy, but having it open pretty soft for the first couple of minutes allows most people to go through the menus and get into a game without hearing the same riff over and over and over, which would get annoying. I know it did in Doom 3, as cool as that tune was, it got old.

I agree, that could however be solved by randomly choosing from a pool of songs each time it loads.

I just read what he posted:

"This main theme includes several hints to previous classic Doom themes. The dynamic track, arranged here for the multiplayer main menu, represents the brutal, ever-changing gameplay in Doom 2016. We move through tension, focus, spurts of graphic violence, madness and horror."

I think he managed to transmit to me something that is close to that at least.

ya its like nin meets the wolfenstein soundtrack. but i guess thats cool, its not like any of the old doom games had some type of super awesome menu music.

not enough here to make any kind of judgements really.

And then we wait for that guy that complains that the music is boring, unimaginative, and is dubstep bullshit.

i like the song overall, but i couldnt find any obvious hints to the old music, despite being told where to look in the song. my ears just aren't good enough i guess.

Not impressed.

Why does it take more than a minute for the song to get going? Who spends more than a minute on a menu?

Okay so Doom 1 and 2's "menu" music was like 7-11 seconds of creepy, hellish dissonance. But if this is meant to be a full 4½ minute song then I think there needs to be a catchy hook. These melodies are pretty awful, honestly. They'd be more memorable if they weren't screeching pitch-wheeled overprocessed synthesizers, and were done on actual guitars instead.

Sounds like music that's come from the bowels of Hell, at least. If that's what Mick was going for then good for him, I guess.

That synthesizer melody during the heavy sections sounds like something from an evil, sadistic traveling carnival. Fits the vibe of the game pretty nicely.

Jimmy said:

Not impressed.

Why does it take more than a minute for the song to get going? Who spends more than a minute on a menu?

We'll probably hear it while browsing servers and setting up games.

TheMightyHeracross said:

And setting up loadouts/ customizing armor or taunts.

Speaking of which.... do you know if there are any ninja-looking armors for the new Doom?

Or perhaps a Classic looking one?

Just out of curiosity...

Which also reminds me.... do you know if we can do machinima on the new Doom? =D

Quite obviously the intro is a homage to the E1M8 Song.

The rest is pretty derivative Industrial "Metal". Its good background music though, but i'll admit the music i've heard so far is pretty lackluster, derivative Djent riffs combined with derivative industrial stuff. They shoulda hit up Misha Mansoor or Tosin Abasi, that would be a DooM soundtrack i'd remember.

Tetzlaff said:

Not bad. Much better than the Doom 3 title song. The guitars at the beginning remind me a bit to Sign of Evil.

Whhhaaa? The Doom 3 theme song was perfect!