Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doom 2016 slowness confirmed

E3 presentation said:

The foundation of any Doom experience [...] is unquestionably combat that's centered around three things: badass demons, big effing guns, and moving really really fast

Cinematic trailer description said:

the pillars of DOOM's gameplay: Relentless Combat, Terrifying Demons, and Bad Ass Guns.

"Moving fast" is now "relentless combat," sorry everyone! Last one out turn off the lights!

Hopefully by relentless they mean "so much moving really really fast action you won't be able to handle the relentless intensity." Or it could mean "so many enemies you'll be forced to move in slow circles over and over to shoot them all." Hmm...

wheresthebeef said:

The weapons are now no longer big nor fucking :(

they are, however, bad, and also quite ass DOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO

I just don't understand why "clever level design" was never, ever mentioned in any of the press release stuff, surely that is one of the pillars for any Doomer.

wheresthebeef said:

The weapons are now no longer big nor fucking :(

OMG, BAG 9000 CONFIRMED!!!!

GoatLord said:

I just don't understand why "clever level design" was never, ever mentioned in any of the press release stuff, surely that is one of the pillars for any Doomer.

My concerns exactly

GoatLord said:

Probably because they didn't feel like pissing on basically every other FPS on the market.

Arctangent said:

Probably because they didn't feel like pissing on basically every other FPS on the market.

It would have to be worded less as a qualifier (i.e. "We have good level design"), and more as a trait (i.e. 'We have twisted, open-ended levels").

But of course, that aspect wasn't mentioned as a core component because it isn't. Marty was asked about level design a bunch of times and he's said that combat was the focus. He also said that a lot of the areas are open-ended, contain secrets, have branching exploration, etc, but you're not trying to constantly solve the level itself like in the classic Doom games.

ChickenOrBeef said:

It would have to be worded less as a qualifier (i.e. "We have good level design"), and more as a trait (i.e. 'We have twisted, open-ended levels").

But of course, that aspect wasn't mentioned as a core component because it isn't. Marty was asked about level design a bunch of times and he's said that combat was the focus. He also said that a lot of the areas are open-ended, contain secrets, have branching exploration, etc, but you're not trying to constantly solve the level itself like in the classic Doom games.

Which I find to be quite upsetting. That was one of my favorite parts in Doom was the labyrinth style maps and puzzle solving to get to the next area.

MrDeAD1313 said:

Which I find to be quite upsetting. That was one of my favorite parts in Doom was the labyrinth style maps and puzzle solving to get to the next area.

That's probably why I prefer the first Doom over the second Doom. It felt more clever and perplexing as opposed to BLERRRGH ARENASSSSS!

Look I'm not hating on Doom 2, but IMHO Ultimate Doom is much better. =)

ChickenOrBeef said:

...but you're not trying to constantly solve the level itself like in the classic Doom games.

I find that disappointing. There's something satisfying about solving Doom's puzzles.

GoatLord said:

I find that disappointing. There's something satisfying about solving Doom's puzzles.

nah i bet you its got like, procedurally repopulated areas for like puzzles, and cause enemies drop ammo and health thats how you replenish it.