Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SwanSong

Tiago Sousa of id Software confirms there will be a FOV slider.

Thanks for posting this.

It does not matter though. "PC MASTER RACE <3". /yeahright

How about actually making the last beta you release playable on the PC platform by providing that option huh?

Since demo's are a thing of the past this last beta is what I will judge the game on (its what will ship 99%). Its shit, from the filtered mouse input, to the default fov to the awful announcement of what hack module you have equipped on -each- freaking spawn to the auto aiming gauss cannon (seriously, try how much your aim can be off when pulling the trigger, i dare you).

Its full of bugs where basic stuff like keybindings and resolutions don't even get stored properly. Those are alpha level of bugs really.

I have no interest in blowing $60 on a second rate experience where mouse input and graphic/gameplay user options are clearly this low on the list for the pc platform. No matter what you promise the game will "eventually" ship with. Because developers always keep their promises right?

Multi platform releases are a thing now. I realize that. I can accept that, it is what it is. To disregard one platform as much as you are clearly showing with this beta; not ok.

I cannot believe they fucked up this bad. Sure I wished for things in D4 but the reality was that if it did not actually -suck- I would have enjoyed it for what it was. Its been ages since I bought a triple A title, have some money to spare on an upgrade, I would have had a fun romp. At worst I would have liked it instead of loved it.

To $%#^ up this bad, this close to release is unimaginable to me. But you did id, good job.

redrage said:

How about actually making the last beta you release playable on the PC platform by providing that option huh?

I don't think you get what a beta is or how one is made. Perhaps it's about time someone gives you the game development talk.

You are totally correct of course. I am so dumb for deducing some things about priority of features or overall game quality/experience/design choices from a beta when the game is only two months away. Silly non developer me... tsk tsk tsk

The whole PC Master Race thing was originally a sarcastic quip from Yahtzee, the master of poking fun at games and gaming culture. How and when people started using it seriously, I don't know.

Promises, promises, whatever. I'll tell you something, if they ship without an FoV slider I'll rage like there's no tommorow. Even if I can fix it with a command line that's not an excuse - it's objectively a mandatory option in every FPP game because (i) it's not rocket science to implement it and (ii) it's directly tied to the user comfort. My head hurts when I play with low FoV and every developer that ships without an option to change it deserves all the 'PC Master Race' hate in world.

So yeah, they better not forget this promise.

Touchdown said:

Promises, promises, whatever. I'll tell you something, if they ship without an FoV slider I'll rage like there's no tommorow. Even if I can fix it with a command line that's not an excuse - it's objectively a mandatory option in every FPP game because (i) it's not rocket science to implement it and (ii) it's directly tied to the user comfort. My head hurts when I play with low FoV and every developer that ships without an option to change it deserves all the 'PC Master Race' hate in world.

So yeah, they better not forget this promise.

It should be required by law to include an FOV slider in FPS games on PC.

And yes, the advanced tab has been unlocked (nothing to be surprised about at this moment, really):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/4czjk6/doom_beta_locked_advanced_settings_are_revealed/

Notice the settings here looks similar to WTNO. Id tech 6 is indeed a newer version of id tech 5. This is classical id-tech stuff. There is an article about some of these different settings here: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/05/21/wolfenstein_new_order_performance_review/2

So yeah, this could explain some of the streaming of textures and texture popin issues some people are having (including myself). There is a way you can reduce the texture-popin. Usually, when you dont have enough vram textures will load into system memory instead of vram. This will cause texture-popin. In rage and WTNO, i still had some texture popin (despite having 4 gb och vram). But, this can be fixed by turning off VT-compress (texture streaming) and the game should be able to use all the vram on the gpu. Correct me if im wrong, but it seems like vt-compress is enabled by default in DOOM closed beta. And, thats explains the texture-popin in lobby?

And for those who are more interested there is also video about the engine in WTNO when the legendary Carmack himself explains it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcnsJMMsRYk

DooM_RO said:

It should be required by law to include an FOV slider in FPS games on PC.

Hahahahahaha no it shouldn't, that's fucking retarded.

I understand that some people feel ill when playing with low FOVs and such and that's a legitimate concern, but you don't have any right to be able to consume every piece of entertainment. Some people get sick on fast rollercoasters. Do they demand every rollercoaster be slow and gentle enough to not affect them? No, they stay the fuck off the ride.

Your requests for FOV settings are warranted, sure, but entitled whining and threatening to "rage like there's no tomorrow" over a minor inconvenience (considering there will almost certainly be a console command you can use if not an actual slider in settings), is just dumb and unwarranted.

magma86 said:

Id tech 6 is indeed a newer version of id tech 5.

No shit Sherlock. The clue there is in the name.

AirRaid said:

True. I just have a habit of explaining everything i post and also sources :)

AirRaid said:

Hahahahahaha no it shouldn't, that's fucking retarded.

I understand that some people feel ill when playing with low FOVs and such and that's a legitimate concern, but you don't have any right to be able to consume every piece of entertainment. Some people get sick on fast rollercoasters. Do they demand every rollercoaster be slow and gentle enough to not affect them? No, they stay the fuck off the ride.

Your requests for FOV settings are warranted, sure, but entitled whining and threatening to "rage like there's no tomorrow" over a minor inconvenience (considering there will almost certainly be a console command you can use if not an actual slider in settings), is just dumb and unwarranted.

This is different. If you change the speed of a roller coaster then it affects the enjoyment of other people but adding an FOV slider doesn't affect anyone's enjoyment. People get sick because of this, which costs them sales...all because they didn't add this very basic feature.

Sure and that is something a company should think about when implementing features but declaring it should be written in law is hilariously misguided.

What I'd like to know is why this is even a PC vs console thing, is increasing the Field of View really that big a burden on console hardware? You'd think all versions of the game should be able to have it without an issue.

Now people won't stop asking for FOV sliders even though it was already the norm for decades. Thanks Overwatch drama, well at least they added it.

Well... apart from not having an FOV slider (yet?). I'm happy with the options.

Lens flares, chromatic aberration and even colorblind options are a must in modern games.

In addition to what DooM_RO said...

AirRaid said:

These days you cannot be annoyed by anything because that makes you nothing but an entitled whiner, right?

Yes, complaining about no FoV slider is 100% justified. Again, it's directly related to user comfort, the difference between fully enjoying a game and suffering from headaches. You call it a 'minor incovenience' which shows you have no idea what you're talking about. It's like making a bizzare control scheme and not letting the player change key bindings because at the end of the day "it's just a minor inconvenience". Oh and by the way, you don't have to be able to play it so buzz off!

Imagine VR folks saying "well, you might be getting sick from using our headset and yes, we could fix it but you don't have to be able to enjoy it so we won't even bother." See how absurd that is?

And the best thing is that an FoV slider is just a simple option. It's not a new system that needs to be prototyped and tested for weeks. And it's objectively true that some people find a higher FoV more comfortable so there's no excuse to not have it. The whole point I'm making is that an FoV slider should be a norm, like key bindings, but for some reason it still isn't in many cases. No FoV slider shows lack of consideration for the comfort of a significant portion of the userbase.

Here's hoping that the 'new' id actually cares (like they say they do) because neither RAGE nor D3:BFG had an FoV slider at launch (and they had to be 'reminded' to patch it in the BFG).

MetroidJunkie said:

What I'd like to know is why this is even a PC vs console thing, is increasing the Field of View really that big a burden on console hardware? You'd think all versions of the game should be able to have it without an issue.

Consoles are already struggling so the less pixels on screen the better. The other thing is that when playing on a console you're sitting further away from the screen, so the perception is a bit different I think.

They're listening! :D

Promises, promises, whatever. I'll tell you something, if they ship without an FoV slider I'll rage like there's no tommorow.

Dude, they just confirmed it? What, you think they're just going to outright lie? That can't be good for business.

TheMightyHeracross said:

What, you think they're just going to outright lie? That can't be good for business.

Never forget.

We probably have nothing to be concerned about here. Point is that sometimes game developers are full of shit.

Touchdown said:

Consoles are already struggling so the less pixels on screen the better. The other thing is that when playing on a console you're sitting further away from the screen, so the perception is a bit different I think.

Wouldn't they have to render the same amount of pixels regardless? It's not like the screen resolution increases. Unless textures and models immediately off screen just straight aren't rendered and, somehow, load in the time it takes for you to flick your head around.

well eventually the console market is probably going to crash, meanwhile since pc's are dual purpose (work/play) things will swing back our way.

eventually.

my big hope is ghat there will be long term snapmap support... new map pieces, etc.

MetroidJunkie said:

Wouldn't they have to render the same amount of pixels regardless? It's not like the screen resolution increases. Unless textures and models immediately off screen just straight aren't rendered and, somehow, load in the time it takes for you to flick your head around.

the pixel count would stay the same like you say, but the game would still be forced to pull more assets simultaneously to draw what is being called so there would be more overhead methinks.

Piper Maru said:

Oh wow, crisis averted! Are you guys going to be okay now? Want some tea to calm your nerves?

is it earl grey?

redrage said:

Thanks for posting this.

It does not matter though. "PC MASTER RACE <3". /yeahright

Since demo's are a thing of the past this last beta is what I will judge the game on (its what will ship 99%).

This post gave me Foxdie.

Theres gonna be no FOV slider, in fact theyre going to make the PC Port HAVE LESS than the Console Version because they hate and want to punish all the MEN who game on PCs, they are going to make the movement speed slower and not only will the cyberdemon be hunched, but everyone including the Doom Marine will have a hunch.

You want to know why? CULTURAL CONSOLISM, they wanna bring down PCs and make evryone "equal" so they can eventually implement a One Platform Order, you know why they hate PCs, because PC gaming is mostly men, and women play Angry Birds, so thats why they made the Cacodemon look like an Angry Bird, because they want to impress women.

Or alternatively, this is fuckimg id and bethesda, theyve done PC gaming for more than 2 decades and theyve already confirmed a FOV slider so can people stop being so dumb.

rampancy said:

the pixel count would stay the same like you say, but the game would still be forced to pull more assets simultaneously to draw what is being called so there would be more overhead methinks.

This is called Frustrum Culling and is exacty what happens in any 3D engine worth it's salt.