Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Someone made an E1M1 remake in Halo 5

I know its a bit old, but it is something

The guy did a pretty good job with the layout.
Now for some colours and Covenant...

Interesting! I am always curious about Doom map remakes in other games.

This one looks kind of bland with all the featureless clean walls.

Ive been thinking about taking my shot at making a forge doom level with high detail and doom like weapons and game settings, hopefully it turns out well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fywI2bK61E

Classic Doom 3 is by far the best E1M1 remake I have ever seen (At least on another game engine so Knee Deep in ZDoom doesn't count). It seems like most remakes just try to remake it in the most basic form possible, this actually goes a step beyond and somewhat modernizes it so the environment is more believable and realistic but without sacrificing any of the core design.

MetroidJunkie said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fywI2bK61E

Classic Doom 3 is by far the best E1M1 remake I have ever seen (At least on another game engine so Knee Deep in ZDoom doesn't count). It seems like most remakes just try to remake it in the most basic form possible, this actually goes a step beyond and somewhat modernizes it so the environment is more believable and realistic but without sacrificing any of the core design.

Doom 3 is mod friendly like Classic Doom. That's one reason why E1M1 in CD3 is very striking in detail. Another engine? It an engine straight from id, the creators of Doom. How about thinking outside id Software, such as say Counter-Strike, Minecraft and of course Halo.

Halo ain't that mod friendly, unless you count maps made by outside users made with only the available game data. No outside data is present in these maps to add spice.

I know its bland, but it is very nice for a Forge creation. My memories on Forge are blurry, so I'm not sure how powerful it is now

Voros said:

How about thinking outside id Software, such as say Counter-Strike, Quake and of course Halo.

Heh, surprise, Quake is made by ID .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Heh, surprise, Quake is made by ID .

:P
Fixed!

Thanks for pointing out!

Huh, this makes me think that upscaled DM maps from Doom would work well in Halo as well. I like that it's an interpretation rather than a 1:1 copy.

Not surprised it was remade in Halo. Doom is the best game ever after all.

Voros said:

I know its bland, but it is very nice for a Forge creation. My memories on Forge are blurry, so I'm not sure how powerful it is now

Fair enough, I thought it was some kind of in-house map editor or something. Counterstrike wouldn't be too hard since Valve is incredibly open about their engines and the Hammer Editor is very feature rich. Same with HL2, Portal, L4D, etc. As long as you know how to use Hammer Editor, that is. Also, I wouldn't diminish the CD3 mod just because the engine was made by ID, it still had to be made from scratch, you can't just slap old Doom levels into the map editor. It being made by ID didn't make it any easier than modding any other engine to replicate E1M1, the only thing that would make it easier is Doom 3's map editor being easier to work with but that's a matter of quality.

Voros said:

How about thinking outside id Software, such as say Counter-Strike, Minecraft and of course Halo.

Hate to break it to you, but Counter-Strike is a mod of Half-Life, which uses a heavily modified version of the Quake engine, which you already know was made by Id.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoldSrc

Sorry about that - you did get your point across. This was just FYI ;)

I'd still like to know how Doom 3 being made by ID invalidates Doom 3 Classic's level design. It's not like you can just import Doom levels into Doom 3, they were made from scratch.

chungy said:

Does Halo only support 90° walls?

Yeah, to be honest it looks pretty crappy, like someone's first attempt at 3D editing.

If I'm not mistaken, Halo's Forge wasn't really meant for creating entire levels since all you're really given to work with is a bunch of pre-fabricated objects / level geometry. It's great for creating unique gameplay modes within the game, but wasn't meant for much more than that.

Of course, I also haven't really played a Halo game since Halo 3 which came out back in 2007. I'm sure Forge is massively different now than it was back then.

Forge is a lot more powerful in Halo 5 than it was in Halo 3 (and 4.) It allows some minor scripting (switches etc.) and a huge amount of new design features. Having said that, it is only really meant to be used to create multiplayer environments and is therefore very rudimentary. It is far more about designing new 'spaces' than it is about actual game/level design.

You can still create some fantastic stuff with it, but it is not a powerful level design tool like GZDoom Builder or something.

MetroidJunkie said:

I'd still like to know how Doom 3 being made by ID invalidates Doom 3 Classic's level design. It's not like you can just import Doom levels into Doom 3, they were made from scratch.

Oh no, I didn't mean it like that! Just we should see how other people make/try to make Doom levels in a different engine, where as we have already seen CD3's E1M1, but should it stop it there? And again, id Tech 4 is mod friendly compared to Halo's engine...

Fair enough, my point was that I'd like to see more effort in E1M1 remakes that are more like Classic Doom 3 where it takes advantage of modern design to add to it instead of just being literal copy and paste jobs that honestly don't look that good in the engine they're in. I never played Halo, though, except for a little of Combat Evolved's demo, so I didn't know it was so restrictive. I could probably attempt something in Unity but then it would be essentially a new game rather than a mod of an existing one.