Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

To the people who built their PC in 2012-2014 to be a beast?

Can I have your specs?

I'm trying to build a very very very budget PC for playing Doom. My current PC is going on ten years old.

My specs: ((DirectX Diagnostic Tool) Run: dxdiag)

I'd like to spend as little as possible and still get a good pc. I don't really have any interest in playing any of these new fangled, "games."

I would like to be able to play Doom/Quake/Diablo II/AoE at Maximum Settings and be able to record/stream at 1080p using Open Broadcast Software. I would also like to be able to play some of the newer games, but if I can't play them at max it isn't a big deal.

Basically, I want to get a really good PC if the year was 2013-14.

Edit: Okay. Maybe I'm not looking for the beast of 2013, but I'm looking for a computer that will meet my needs.

This is what I was thinking so far. Radeon r7240 gpu and AMD fx4300 cpu. ($170)

Bloodshedder said:

Thank you so much. That link really helped out a lot.

This is what I'm thinking now. For $350 it seems like it'd be pretty sweet.

GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB GDDR5 ($105) (It can get 50FPS with WoW at 1080p) Should translate well to Doom.
CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k ($75) 3.7Ghz (AMD) Can be overclocked to 4.0Ghz
HSF: Stock
MB: MSI A88XM Gaming ($85) I don't know much about it. Looks better than the $70 one.
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB Kit ($40) I don't seem to have any problem with the six I have now, but a little extra couldn't hurt.
SSD: San Disk 120GB ($45) (I know 120GB ain't shit, but I don't really don't use a lot of storage.) I can always get a HDD later.
PS: EVGA 500B ($35) (Seems like a legit price.)
Case: ANTEC VSK4000E ($35) (I'm not sure if this case will actually work with everything yet.)

Total: $343

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93rbgVmfZRg Here it is in action.

everennui said:

*snip*

That's a pretty humble build. I could buy a GTX 970 for almost the same price! :P ...except it's a bit overkill for me (especially for my 23" display), so I don't really need one.

everennui said:

Thank you so much. That link really helped out a lot.

GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB GDDR5 ($105) (It can get 50FPS with WoW at 1080p) Should translate well to Doom.
CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k ($75) 3.7Ghz (AMD) Can be overclocked to 4.0Ghz
HSF: Stock
MB: MSI A88XM Gaming ($85) I don't know much about it. Looks better than the $70 one.
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB Kit ($40) I don't seem to have any problem with the six I have now, but a little extra couldn't hurt.
SSD: San Disk 120GB ($45) (I know 120GB ain't shit, but I don't really don't use a lot of storage.) I can always get a HDD later.
PS: EVGA 500B ($35) (Seems like a legit price.)
Case: ANTEC VSK4000E ($35) (I'm not sure if this case will actually work with everything yet.)

Total: $343

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93rbgVmfZRg Here it is in action.

Always be carful with the PSU you buy, this is one of the biggest mistakes people do is buy a cheap power supply with a low wattage, but this can cause problems as there might not be enough wattage to power all the components, it never hurts to drop some extra bucks on a PSU.

And Regarding the case, the main thing you want to look for is that your motherboard's form factor matches with your case's, for example, a ATX motherboard would need a ATX case for it to fit in.

How many of these cases and motherboards are mini or micro ATX? I need a smaller case and cannot put anything bigger than a mid tower in my desk.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Glaice said:

How many of these cases and motherboards are mini or micro ATX? I need a smaller case and cannot put anything bigger than a mid tower in my desk.

PC Part Picker > Choose Case > left side of the screen has a list of filters you can use to slim down the search results based on form factor (HTPC cases tend to be pretty suitable for smaller builds, but be careful about space for your GPU especially)