Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Krimson Madness

Doom Beta Personal Thoughts

Graphics are really beautiful and the gameplay is perfect, the character and weapon customization in this game is fantastic it's the best customization i have ever seen, other shooting games can learn from this.

Personally i find the pace just perfect, the weapons are well balanced and fucking cool the demon runes and the glory kills are welcome it fits the game, it's good that the hack modules have a timer before they dissapear, you can call them also temporary perks. The loadouts are welcome because i want to choose with which weapon to start with.

I like that you have to pick up ammo, health, armor, power weapons and powerups it gives me an old school feeling and that's good because old school is the best.

There are some little things they need to fix and add, in my opinion they need to make the SSG a little stronger not much, there needs to be an option to have music in multiplayer while you are playing because you have music in the campaign too when you have a confrontation with demon spawn. Make some more demons playable please? They need to bring deathmatch into this game because Doom made deathmatch and it will be stupid not to bring this into the full game. I have seen some screen tearing, remove this please?

Man i like this game, it's a while ago i had so much fun in a multiplayer mode. I can't wait to blast demons in the campaign, make some maps in SnapMap and to play the multiplayer further. To me this game will be game of the year because it has evertyhing a shooter needs, i hope other FPS developers will learn and take inspiration from this game.

Well these where my thoughts about the game so far, what are your thoughts about the game so far? And on which platform you gonna get it?

(Sorry for my English i did my best and it's not my mother language)

:)

nice, I too think that the game is very good, I have no qualms with it. well just a quick warning. People who will disagree with you with so much passion will come here and try their hardest to argue with you that the game is broken and it sucks, the weapons are unbalanced, the graphics suck, the music suck, the gameplay is slow, and Consoles and casuals ruined it etc...It's good to know that there's someone positive in this forum...so far all the recent threads have been VERY negative.

HellVain said:

nice, I too think that the game is very good, I have no qualms with it. well just a quick warning. People who will disagree with you with so much passion will come here and try their hardest to argue with you that the game is broken and it sucks, the weapons are unbalanced, the graphics suck, the music suck, the gameplay is slow, and Consoles and casuals ruined it etc...

I played this on Xbox One and PS4, the PS4 looks a little more beatifull and has less screen tearing than Xbox One, if i had a really powerfull pc i would have pre ordered it for pc.

Krimson Madness said:

I played this on Xbox One and PS4, the PS4 looks a little more beatifull and has less screen tearing than Xbox One, if i had a really powerfull pc i would have pre ordered it for pc.

Not that it matters, Play how you want it to play. PS4 is slightly more powerful than xbox one so yeah, naturally it would look better. I just hope the multiplayer is cross platform.

HellVain said:

I just hope the multiplayer is cross platform.

Not a chance.

Actually there is a slight chance since they just made a deal to get Rocket League crossplay with Xbox along side the PS4/PC connection we already had, but I doubt you'll see any more movement on that for a while.

It's really fun! I simply love it! I like how this game looks and plays. They need to fix some stuff here and there of course but so far really promising!

HellVain said:

nice, I too think that the game is very good, I have no qualms with it. well just a quick warning. People who will disagree with you with so much passion will come here and try their hardest to argue with you that the game is broken and it sucks, the weapons are unbalanced, the graphics suck, the music suck, the gameplay is slow, and Consoles and casuals ruined it etc...It's good to know that there's someone positive in this forum...so far all the recent threads have been VERY negative.

I have seen positive threads too, people are just acting like spoiled brats don't mind.

Krimson Madness said:

I have seen positive threads too, people are just acting like spoiled brats don't mind.

"spoiled brats" sounds about right. Oh well, I try my best not to care. :)

I love this beta. I'm extremely optimistic toward the final release. I've had hours upon hours of fun with just 2 maps and 2 game types. Should be a total blast with all of the features the game has to offer. And if the SP maps are ANYTHING like these in terms of ways to get around to other areas then it's going to be a wonderful experience :D :D

I think the multiplayer is really cool. The level up system and customization is modern and takes nothing away from it, don't understand why it would bug people. I don't play CoD or BF yet I think it's nice. It really makes the MP a hell lot more different from the single player. This game looks gorgeous.

AirRaid said:

Not a chance.

Actually there is a slight chance since they just made a deal to get Rocket League crossplay with Xbox along side the PS4/PC connection we already had, but I doubt you'll see any more movement on that for a while.

Perhaps eventually, after all, SnapMap is cross-platform (sharing maps, not playing)

My biggest gripe right now are the OP special weapons and demon runes. The are basically just free kills. I remember this once where I fired at someone with the railgun and thought I would miss but then WTF'd really hard once I saw the enemy player just explode anyway even though my shot was not even close to hitting him. So overpowered. The demon runes are similar but not as bad since you can at least try to avoid the demon.

Other than that and the fact that you have to unlock more custom colors (why???) I am loving this so far.

hardcore_gamer said:

My biggest gripe right now are the OP special weapons and demon runes. The are basically just free kills. I remember this once where I fired at someone with the railgun and thought I would miss but then WTF'd really hard once I saw the enemy player just explode anyway even though my shot was not even close to hitting him. So overpowered. The demon runes are similar but not as bad since you can at least try to avoid the demon.

Other than that and the fact that you have to unlock more custom colors (why???) I am loving this so far.

I don't think the demon rune is overpowered. I've had some unsuccessful stints when my opponents move around cleverly enough, take out my jetpack, team up on me, etc.

I agree that the Gauss Canon is a bit overpowered. Not because of its strength, but because you don't have to precisely hit someone. If they change that issue, which makes it a bit more skillful, I would be fine with it.

ChickenOrBeef said:

I don't think the demon rune is overpowered. I've had some unsuccessful stints when my opponents move around cleverly enough, take out my jetpack, team up on me, etc.

I agree that the Gauss Canon is a bit overpowered. Not because of its strength, but because you don't have to precisely hit someone. If they change that issue, which makes it a bit more skillful, I would be fine with it.

Yea the power is fine, the problem is that you don't really need to aim, AND on top of that you can see where all other players are with the alt-fire. In it's current state the Gauss canon is pretty much the hand of god. You don't shoot your enemies with it, you just point at them and erase them from existence.

HellVain said:

Not that it matters, Play how you want it to play. PS4 is slightly more powerful than xbox one so yeah, naturally it would look better. I just hope the multiplayer is cross platform.

It would be possible to make it cross platform between in the consoles, but you throw PCs players in the mix everyone else would get rekt.

I really like it. Some comments:

1. Yeah, demon rune and gauss rifle are a little too op. Or at least spawn too often.
2. Hack module announcement gets really annoying every respawn. Actually the announcer in general sucks.
3. A few of the guns seem a bit underpowered. But overall weapon balance is good.

Big one:

4. No music... Wtf. Maybe the music isnt done? If Im right its usually done at the very end since it takes little time to develop.

This is a copy and paste from what i typed in Bethesdas community doom beta forum.

So far the beta is fun and even more so with friends, but it can definitely be improved on. Here is a list of things that I personally think would improve the final product which I'm playing on the Xbox one.

Remove

1) Loadouts: I personally don't like the loadouts. I much rather go and find the weapons I want to use in these awesome maps. It also makes the game more challenging because you have to time, and remember locations of all the weapons you want to equip which in my opinion makes the game more enjoyable. I mean you have to pick up health and shields manually why not your guns?

2) Damage Numbers Indicators: This isn't a huge issue with me, but the numbers that come off of the enemies bodies when you damage them seems silly, and irrelevant. I feel that FPSRPG games need this because it helps with statistics, but Doom has nothing to do with that this isn't borderlands.

Add

1) In game Music: The matches are fun, but it can seem very quiet and at times dare i say, boring. where's the music? I want to mow down kids with awesome heavy soundtracks blasting in the background. It will definitely get the blood pumping making the game even more awesome.

2) Increased Speed: The movement speed is. . . . . . alright. Its not bad, but its not necessarily great. Haste that ability pick up that increases your speed for everything is awesome and I feel that Haste should be the base movement speed for Doom. Maybe not as fast as Haste just a tad slower. At times while playing Warpath I occasionally feel that I'm not moving fast enough and its quite bother some really.

1) Match Announcer: The match announcer is bland and unappealing to the ears. He just sounds so boring and uninterested with his job. He sounds like he just doesn't give a crap about anything and its quite depressing. Even the Alpha had a better announcer what happened with that guy? Sure he wasn't amazing, but at least he sounded a little bit interested with his job lol. I want an announcer in quake 3 arena that guys voice was awesome. It was deep, booming, and exciting.

2) Gun sounds/Power: Most of the guns firing sounds are weak and low sounding. There's not enough oomph to them which makes the weapons feel underwhelming. Speaking of feeling weak, some guns are vastly superior to the rest. Ex: shotgun, Plasma Rifle which wreaks shit. Everyone and there grandmother are using these two weapons the most because there the damn best. The sniper is almost non existent in game, Static cannon is alright but its almost not worth using due to you having to recharge it, maybe make the recharge rate a little faster? Heavy assault rifle is borderline average, and the lightning rifle just seems unappealing to me and looks weak in general and the Rocket Launcher just SUCKS. Either increase the damage or explosive blast range for the rockets cause as of right now its arguably the weakest weapon to use in the beta.

3) Siphon Grenade: The siphon grenade which is an awesome concept is unfortunately really useless compared to the other two options. The frag grenade has saved my life many times and has gotten me quite a few triple kills. The personal teleporter is just fun to use and is great for fleeing saving your life from almost certain death, but the Siphon grenade has done little for me. Now I'd be lying if i said the siphon didn't get me any kills every now and then which it has, but only when I'm facing like one or two enemies coming at me. You'd think it work wonders on Warpath, but that rarely happens since there's usually only one or two enemy players in the damn thing. Plus when I use the siphon it's usually already to late for me and I end up dying anyways. Maybe make the siphon more deadly by draining more health from enemies?

4) Taunts: The taunts are hilarious. There a great addition to doom, but the problem is that I forget to use them. There's usually never a great opportunity to taunt cause your constantly moving for the next ability pick up, demon rune, or your chasing the warpath to even remember to use it. Plus every damn time i use it some dude comes around the corner and mows my ass down cause i can't move. Either change it so you can cancel a taunt by moving your left analog stick or make the taunts accessible when your in the top 3. I think that would be stupendous if you came in 1st place and just started dry humping the air and everyone is forced to watch you gloat.

Overall

6/10

I'm gonna buy the game since I'm a huge doom fan, I just hope some of the things I've listed are at least looked at.

My personal thoughts are :

The MP looks very generic tbh. I could probably play Epic Games free UT and get the same kicks out of it. I don't think it's a horrible bad shooter,
not by any chance. It's just that the gaming industry is completley flooded with shooters nowdays, making this just one more to add to the list.
Lack of interest made me turn down a free beta key. So I'm judging by watching about 30 min of gameplay on twitch. I will definitely try out the SP campaign knowing tho my true passion will always be with classic Doom.

Even with it's strong title, it will sooner or later have to make way for the next AAA shooter and be left with a small community not big enough to keep it alive with amazing mods,
especially since quality modding for massiv games like this, simply cannot be done by single people anymore. Let's wait and see...

So far, I REALLY like it. There's a lot to be enjoyed here; the speed is a wonderful refresher away from the standard marching pace of current modern shooters, the gun play is fantastic I honestly haven't felt like that about a game like this since Quake 3, and the graphics even for a beta are fucking gorgeous.

My main complaints however are about balancing. Some weapons are just WAY too powerful and others...not so much. The static cannon is actually a useless POS most of the time because even at full charge it really doesn't do a whole lot of damage. Considering that you have to keep moving to use it and considering the two maps so far are just cramped as can be, you don't get a lot of places to circle strafe and use it to it's full potential. That said, if that is really all it can do it seems pretty redundant and the game could've gone without.

The rocket launcher seems very underpowered at times as well. It's a rocket launcher, that presumably fires the same sort of ammo the revanent uses. Rather than smiting the unholy fuck's in front of you in a single shot like his can, you just pick people's health down shot after shot. Even the Quake RL's were tougher than this thing. It just doesn't really feel right and I often just ignore using it when I can.

The Gauss cannon is just massively OP lol. I don't mind that, it's basically a top tier weapon/rare spawn weapon so I would expect it to be but I do wish that it's area of effect was thinned a little bit. You don't even really have to aim with this thing to score a kill which has seasoned players absolutely dominating matches and unbalancing the gameplay entirely, and at the same time has very new players almost right up there as well. Same goes for the Demon rune. Whenever skelly spawns, you're pretty much fucked lol. One shot from his rockets and you're totally flattened, no matter what your health is at, no matter what at all. He's basically taking the role of a field juggernaut and if you're in Warpath mode and your team is not with the upperhand and the opposition gets the demon, you've basically lost with a chance.

Now, can these issues be fixed? Oh yes, very easily. Just need to change a few numbers for damage to remedy all this and help rebalance things. The MP is pretty standard I will admit, but since I spend the majority of my time in team based games like Killing Floor, I can't tell you I didn't totally enjoy it. I would have loved to have seen at least SOME single player element in the beta. It's a little disappointing not getting to experience what the game itself is like so far, since it's 99% of the reason we're all getting the damn thing lol.

StevieCybernetik said:

I would have loved to have seen at least SOME single player element in the beta. It's a little disappointing not getting to experience what the game itself is like so far, since it's 99% of the reason we're all getting the damn thing lol.

Think ID will follow their roots and release a fraction of the game as free shareware? I mean, heck, Doom 3 even had a demo. If for no other reason than to allow people to see how well Doom would run on their perspective PC. I know Bethesda doesn't go for that but that's because it's hard to have a "demo" of an open world game that shows you what it has to offer without either giving too much as to spoil the appetite to buy the game or is so restrictive that it doesn't give you a good grasp of what to expect.

MrInternational said:

1) Match Announcer: The match announcer is bland and unappealing to the ears. He just sounds so boring and uninterested with his job. He sounds like he just doesn't give a crap about anything and its quite depressing. Even the Alpha had a better announcer what happened with that guy? Sure he wasn't amazing, but at least he sounded a little bit interested with his job lol. I want an announcer in quake 3 arena that guys voice was awesome. It was deep, booming, and exciting.

I hope they add the option to shut him up and add other alternatives.

TheWizard said:

Perhaps eventually, after all, SnapMap is cross-platform (sharing maps, not playing)

Yeah maybe. The new Trackmania allows you to share tracks between platforms too but actual MP is limited to each platform.

It was confirmed a long time ago that content created with snapmap can be used on each platform. This is not new.

Cross platform play though is not going to happen.

Considering my only interest in doom was sp and snap map levels I have to say the multi-player has me hooked.

The game looks and runs amazingly well compared to the alpha (locked at 60 99% of the time on my 780gtx, 4970K, 24gig ram).

Every session played I end up spending more time on it than I planned.

Things I liked - my favourite combination so far is the ssg,plasma gun syphon grenade. Ssg is so satisfying to use it's got me more hyped for blowing demons away in the campaign and the same goes for the plasma rifle, secondary fire is really handy.

Loved the sound effects, I'm surprised some people are saying its poor but I do have a high quality stereo amp and everything sounds meaty.

Again gfx are incredible especially the hell map, very doom 64 like with the coloured lighting, can only imagine the gfx will be better in the full game.

Another surprise is some saying the controls are bad, I'm using a logitec g400s and the movement is so smooth and responsive it's ridiculous, rage was just the same it makes the game a pleasure to play and the climbing handles just a nicely too. I was double jumping and traversing around the map like a pro in 10 mins of play.

I also liked the lvling up system to unlock different armors it just added another bit of polish to the product.

As a word for advice for anyone disappointed that it's not the next quake or whatever mp they were hoping for I say go in with a open mind and treat it as its own game and don't compare. The game is a ton of fun and once a weapon combination clicks for you it's good times. Let's face it this is a million times better than doom 3 and wolfenstien MP we got (I actually liked doom 3 MP too).

On another note, the game looks like its going to support higher fps modes, sli and support for vulkan. Looks like I might have to invest in 2 Pascal cards for 4K :p .

archvile82 said:

The game looks and runs amazingly well compared to the alpha (locked at 60 99% of the time on my 780gtx, 4970K, 24gig ram).

archvile what OS, drivers you use. Are you tweak somethink in NVIDIA control panel to get this 60 fps? (i ask becouse i have the exact copy of your hardware and have only 30fps)