Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGlide

How do I make turret monsters more attentive?

I'v Imps on 64x64x64 pillers, I'v them pointed at where the player will come through the door, but when I come into the room they mostly just bounce around. Same with some chaingunners I'v got on a plat form, the just stumble back and forth and shoot sparcley. Is there any way to get them to open fire more often?

Just give them more space to walk without being obstructed. Monsters have an internal counter of steps before attack, and the Doom engine unfortunately resets this counter to a new random value every time a monster changes direction of movement. As a result, "turret" monsters on small platforms and other monsters with restricted movement will attack significantly less often than they normally would.

From the other thread:

Maes said:

Pillars and other places that interfere with a monster's motion and force it to "stop in its tracks" and change direction -especially true for faster monsters- tend to keep it busy and slow its attack rate considerably, simply because it has such a hard time finding a good spot where it's not compelled to do pathfinding.

Lol so the Doom monsters are about as smart as my dog when looking for a good spot to go to the bathroom?