Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moon Marin

DOOM Beta FOV on PC

Linguica said:

I love watching the urban legend of how to change the FOV in the Doom beta evolve in real time. Despite being the INTERNET, which is built off of LINKS and IMAGES and VIDEOS, I haven't seen a single thing suggesting there is such a command or that it actually works, but that hasn't stopped people from playing telephone with the rumors one bit.

isn't the internet actually built on text? heh. we are just hopeful that we can find a solution and we are passing around suggestions hoping if enough of us try we can get things to work, at least thats how I see it.

Trycon said:

No FOV slider in the Advanced options: http://imgur.com/a/KXqId

unreal. im sure the console will still work unless its disabled in the final release somehow.

Yeah saw that thread. Replied to it too.

The "+set com_skipIntroVideo 1" works for me. Remember to capitalize it properly.

NOTE: as you can see last thing I experimented with was cg_fov instead of g_fov. Neither work.

@Linguica
I am actually beginning to believe you are right. I have seen no screenshots or movies with altered fov and I still cant get it to work. Sadness..

For the record I never have too much of a problem with lower FOVs, but I would raise it up a bit if I could because hey it might give a slight edge.

Buckshot said:

I do not notice any pop in or texture streaming if I set the game to 1920x1080. Also, the game runs ridicously fast at that res (obviously). So obviously one titan x is plenty overkill for 1080p. Though it appears, with latest Nvidia drivers, Nvidia attempts to set DOOM's beta executable (zionx64.exe) to use a SLI alternate frame rendering 2 mode (this is automatically being set by latest Nvidia drivers, if I set it to "Nvidia recommended", it will default to Alternate Frame Rendering 2 (AFR2), meaning by default, Nvidia drivers are attempting to force SLI.. as if it's supposed to be using it if available.

whether it's just broken because it's still beta, or hasn't been implemented or optimized for SLI yet (again, because it's beta), time will tell... but according to Nvidia default driver settings, it looks like it might yet actually support SLI by launch. fingers crossed for us 4k folks :)

Um, where to exactly look for these settings, please? Drivers' global settings or somewhere else?

[LeD]Jake Crusher said:

Um, where to exactly look for these settings, please? Drivers' global settings or somewhere else?

Under program settimgs/global settings within Nvidia Control Panel, but don't bother with them right now, it doesn't matter what it's sets or auto detecting sli mode to as of current... it will use only a single gpu in the beta (just like the alphas).

Also, for those saying the console and command line tags cvars for FOV and skip video intro aren't workimg...
This was our own doing. The console was unlocked in the alphas (these commands worked fine), but after all the alpha leaks last month, they locked down the console and disabled any commands that let you modify anything. Also, in the prior Alpha release, id/Bethesda stated on twitter that modifying FOV was a no-no for testers (even though it was possible up to that time), so itll probably be locked until retail.

AirRaid said:

Someone posted another thread with this tweet from Toago Sousa -

https://twitter.com/SwnSng/status/716156186215591937

Stating there will be a FOV slider in the final version.

Also I just tried the FOV launch settings and they didn't seem to do shit. Neither did the intro video skip option.

The skip-intro command works for me. I dont know, maybe its case sensitive.
The fov seems to work for me. The difference is very small though.

AirRaid said:

For the record I never have too much of a problem with lower FOVs, but I would raise it up a bit if I could because hey it might give a slight edge.

It makes some people sick.

redrage said:

Yeah saw that thread. Replied to it too.

The "+set com_skipIntroVideo 1" works for me. Remember to capitalize it properly.

http://i.imgur.com/RnAsfUl.png

NOTE: as you can see last thing I experimented with was cg_fov instead of g_fov. Neither work.

@Linguica
I am actually beginning to believe you are right. I have seen no screenshots or movies with altered fov and I still cant get it to work. Sadness..

The correct one should be g_fov, depending on the .exe. Then again, there is also what seems like internal configuration regarind min_fov and max_fov, so it could be they simply set both min_ and max_ to the same value for the beta so g_fov basically does nothing.
FOV slider by the way is fully documented in the .exe, with menu position, help text etc. pp.
(btw: don't tell me this is a leak. Everybody with a texteditor can check it out)

The skip video line is working for me:
+set com_skipIntroVideo 1

Also you can just delete the boot videos and get the same effect, I moved to this so it wouldn't redownload them a million times or anything.

I'm glad there's they've confirmed an FOV slider.

I am new here, but not new to the site or to DooM. I have played tens of thousands of hours of Project B and several hundred hours of Vanilla. I am planning to do Wad Reviews on Youtube. I have every single DooM wad ever made backed up to a hard drive. I studied the design of DooM and wrote an essay on it for my Game Design class. I live, eat, breath, and bleed DooM.

Gentle-DoomGuys and LaDemons, it seems to me to be that what we have here is a console port of a bad game on our hand that fails to recognize what it is about DooM that we like, and also fails to recognize what it is about BD and PB that (some of us) like; most importantly, it fails to see how the two work in tandem. They can add all of the nice graphical options they want, and add all of the "2edgy" gore they want, it is clear that they did not approach DooM 4 with the right attitude whatsoever, and had no intention of making a real successor to DooM.

That said, I am trying the following to better the game experience:
+toggle r_skipMotionBlur 1 +set g_fov 130 +set cg_fov 130 +set com_skipIntroVideo 1

Here are my results, I hope they help:

*I notice a slight difference in FOV, but the game still hurts to look at. I quit after an hour of play.
*Skipping the intro works fine.
*I could not tell whether the motion-blur is disabled or not, but the game is hard to look at no matter what. So, it does not matter much to me.

Posting for everyone's benefit: Wartorn managed to figure out how to set the FOV via a keybind. The downside is it involves resetting your leveling progress due to implementation shenanigans, but eh, it's worth it IMO.

Guide's here: http://pastebin.com/0aedHcvV

[EDIT] random Xaserscreenshot for cross-proof:

[DOUBLE-EDIT]
wartorn👌 👀: you can call me by my name :
wartorn👌 👀: :b
{TACM} Xaser: hah okay p:

Oh man, that's bizzare. The similiar thing had to be done in BioShock 2 - you actually had to edit a config file and bind the key to change the FoV.

The wonky thing about it is how it's all lumped together in a binary file. I guess that's to discourage folks from hacking up their player profiles and giving themselves infinite levels, since all that's stored client-side in the beta. Hopefully that changes so we don't have to resort to similar wizardry for the final release when some option is inevitably not exposed through the UI. :<

Wartorn updated the guide, BTW: http://pastebin.com/ynRKHPks

Not much time left in Beta-land, but it's still worth a shot for the curious.

Xaser said:

The wonky thing about it is how it's all lumped together in a binary file. I guess that's to discourage folks from hacking up their player profiles and giving themselves infinite levels, since all that's stored client-side in the beta. Hopefully that changes so we don't have to resort to similar wizardry for the final release when some option is inevitably not exposed through the UI. :<

Wartorn updated the guide, BTW: http://pastebin.com/ynRKHPks

Not much time left in Beta-land, but it's still worth a shot for the curious.

To be honest - as a software engineer - I am more than surprised WHAT is stored in the binary. That the resource-index File stores some strings which might be interesting to people who want to figure out stuff about the story/elements in the game is not that surprising to me, allthough the file is so small that encoding it and then decoding it and holding it in RAM wouldn't be a problem.

But in the binary, there is so much development stuff and stuff about their release system, fileshare structure in their network, even individual developer client machine/account names. It's strange. I can't understand why there wasn't a compiler flag to keep this (for the game unneeded) stuff out of there.

While the biggest things have been revealed (or let's say mentioned...we don't know if they appear in the final game) with the alpha leak, it still surprised me that they again released what seems like full debug mode binary with too much verbosity in it.

Azzalack said:

I am new here, but not new to the site or to DooM. I have played tens of thousands of hours of Project B and several hundred hours of Vanilla. I am planning to do Wad Reviews on Youtube. I have every single DooM wad ever made backed up to a hard drive. I studied the design of DooM and wrote an essay on it for my Game Design class. I live, eat, breath, and bleed DooM.

Gentle-DoomGuys and LaDemons, it seems to me to be that what we have here is a console port of a bad game on our hand that fails to recognize what it is about DooM that we like, and also fails to recognize what it is about BD and PB that (some of us) like; most importantly, it fails to see how the two work in tandem. They can add all of the nice graphical options they want, and add all of the "2edgy" gore they want, it is clear that they did not approach DooM 4 with the right attitude whatsoever, and had no intention of making a real successor to DooM.

That said, I am trying the following to better the game experience:
+toggle r_skipMotionBlur 1 +set g_fov 130 +set cg_fov 130 +set com_skipIntroVideo 1

Here are my results, I hope they help:

*I notice a slight difference in FOV, but the game still hurts to look at. I quit after an hour of play.
*Skipping the intro works fine.
*I could not tell whether the motion-blur is disabled or not, but the game is hard to look at no matter what. So, it does not matter much to me.

Not to cause an argument but I really dislike it when people who comment on something and use the word "we" as if it's fact that everyone thinks the same. It's your opinion only , some might agree with it and others won't so next time use the "I" instead. As you can tell I disagree 😁

archvile82 said:

Not to cause an argument but I really dislike it when people who comment on something and use the word "we" as if it's fact that everyone thinks the same. It's your opinion only , some might agree with it and others won't so next time use the "I" instead. As you can tell I disagree 😁

I would say that "we" is being used correctly at first in my reply because the game is a console port, but I will DEFINITELY concede and say that my opinion of the game should have been separated from that by being put in another sentence. One is an opinion, and the other actually has evidence to support it. As such, I have to apologize for assuming collective opinion.

DooM_RO said:

So how does the game feel at a higher FOV?

It's leaps and bounds superior to the point where using a higher FOV feels like cheating with the current state of the beta.

It makes crisis management of melee slap-fights much better because it's easier to tell when your opponent is trying to circle around or through you (enemy player collision feels funny because you can walk through enemies), and makes lone targets much easier to sneak behind due to their inhibited vision and the quiet player footsteps.