Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
koren

Demos for miscellaneous Ribbiks maps

A thread for all those small-scale Ribbiks mapsets like Stardate, Swim with the Whales, Crumpets and so on!
The implied complevel is 9 (Boom-compatible), but make sure and check the textfile!

Stardate 20X6 - thread - idgames
Swim With The Whales - thread - idgames
Crumpets - thread - idgames
Jq2 - thread
Stardate 20X7 - thread
Nefertiti - thread
Pepper - thread - idgames

--------------------------------------

crumpets.wad uv-max demos

map01 in 0:02
map02 in 2:24
map03 in 1:47
map04 in 2:50
map05 in 2:58
map06 in 4:27
map07 in 4:02
map08 in 5:44
map09 in 4:28

crumpets-maps1-9-uvmax.zip

Never_Again said:

These are NoMo, not UV Max.

Crumpets map 1 has no monsters by default, so pretty much every category is equivalent. The other nomo maps I can think of are swtw map 1, the 1024abc skip maps, and DoomJr maps 17 and 18. My runs for swtw and DoomJr maps 17 and 18 are labeled as Pacifist, and the 1024abc skip map runs are labeled as UV-Speed. Lutz's Inferno E3M1 only contains lost souls, and the Pacifist/UV-Speed demo on DSDA is labeled as UV-Speed, so, as far as I can tell, there's pretty much no convention for such demos at the moment. I called my crumpets run UV Max mostly because koren's run was also filed under the same category, so I wanted to be consistent.

To me, NoMo means a demo that was recorded with the -nomonsters parameter. That's like the definition of the category. So even though in these demos it doesn't make any difference, I don't feel comfortable calling them NoMo. UV-Max is better imo, better than UV-Speed too because it gives more information (any UV-Max demo can be called UV-Speed too, but most UV-Speed demos aren't UV-Max).

It doesn't matter much what category such demos should fall under, as long as we agree on some convention and it doesn't happen to be Pacifist. I could easily justify a Pacifist on a map like inf-lutz E3M1 (Lost Souls to me are monsters like everything else), but on a map with no monsters at all? Why not throw a few punches at the walls or in the air and call it a Tyson, while we are at it? :D

BTW, once again I'm impressed with 4shock's erudition...

Never_Again said:

BTW, once again I'm impressed with 4shock's erudition...

Helps that I speedran both DoomJr and swtw map 1. :)

I did forget one nomo map with runs on DSDA, fth666 map 15. This one is a particularly egregious case as there are two demos for it on DSDA by Cyberdemon and MD922, and one of them is marked UV-Speed and one is marked Pacifist.

Also btsx hub maps and dv2 skip maps. On topic: I'd say it doesn't really matter. :) shock's definition is technically correct, but it feels like reaching for an absurd consequence, heh. If Andy wants to be logically consistent, I guess UV Max is the bracket to go with.

Now here's a more interesting mental exercise: Going Down map30. Still lump everything under UV Max?

These mini ribbiks wads should have their own thread, like with the aby sessions. I'm mainly saying that though because I like to make dew work :D

I was considering that several times and always decided it wasn't necessary, but ribbiks won't stop making more it seems. I'll see what I can do.

Oh hey this finally got a thread. Maybe update OP with a link to each related thread? (more work for dew!)

Anyways, Swim With The Whales

Map01 UV-Speed in 0:21
Map02 UV-Max in 16:58
Map03 UV-Max in 34:30

Submitting the first two demos per Cyberdemon531's request, even though they're slower than others already. MAP03 demo was never submitted before, but I hosted it in my OneDrive for the longest time.

EDIT: Was reading posts above and maybe MAP01 UV-Speed should be labelled consistently with the other available demos? Only if it gets uploaded anyways. Although imo, I would figure it should be named a NoMo demo, since there are NoMo...

swtwdemos.zip

Man, that ending to SWTW map03 is crazy lol. You're nuts. :D

Also liked the strategy in the cyber/HK/rev cube of pecking away at the cybers with the chaingun to discourage infighting (the setup is kind of cool in that it's one of the rare scenarios where infighting isn't a plus). Some of the other maxers like to let them infight, which is so batshit.

I've found that letting them infight is a faster strategy in the long run, because they kill lots of the turret monsters while you're away.

I have an optimized route for MAP03, and also MAP02 (based on j4rio's max demo) so I will probably be making attempts for these in the next few weeks/months.

In regards to MAP03, it's almost always the Dark Blue Key fight or the ending fight. The cybercrusher thing is about 50/50, but it's almost always one of the other two that ends a run. Particularly the DBK fight, because getting tagged by all the archviles forces you to run towards the cyberdemons to get reliable cover, so it's almost RNG based at that specific moment. The last arena isn't too bad because of all the cover, but those damn lost souls are responsible for more deaths in that section than anything else there, usually causing me to curse loudly and shake my fist at the screen for a moment :P

I'd also reset a lot towards the beginning of the run, specifically the jump to the rocket launcher secret. Missing it was a pretty significant time loss. The SSG trap isn't bad if you have plasma, and the little setpieces around that section aren't too bad. Contrary to what you might expect I usually can do the Black key battle with minimal HP loss quite consistently. The only real time I get screwed there is when both archviles immediately decide to attack and the other monsters are blocking the cover still. But there's also the jump over to the teleporter into that battle beforehand; miss that and I will reset, as it can take nearly 20 seconds to get back up there. It's the last spot where a movement error is worth the reset imo.

I also have a really bad habit of falling into the poison outside the map when getting the numerous secrets next to it. I have gotten much better at controlling my movement since dialing in my mouse DPI for more precise aiming. One particularly gruesome death was at the cybercrusher; caught a rocket through that little gap with the SS whilst waiting on the secret lift to raise sending me plummeting to the poison sea with < 10% HP and immediately dying upon landing in it.

MAP02 is much less of a bother, the most difficult sections there are either the first room either at the start or coming back to it after the blue armor secret, or the double cyber showdown at the megasphere. The secret invulnerability makes the spiderdemon fight trivial unless you can't kill off the archviles fast enough, but I usually save enough rockets for it to clean the troublemakers out before plasma gunning the spider.

Rayzik said:

more work for dew!

This will be a trigger sentence for losering soon. :)

rdwpa said:

I got two 0:31:xx's on map03 UV-Speed. I was hoping you'd get 0:30 so I could quit. What a retardedly annoying run.

Indeed it was painful. Hence i had to find another route xd.

Map 3 UV-Speed in 0:21
Map 8 UV-Speed in 0:12

crumpets_map3_map8.zip

Swim With The Whales

Map01 UV-Tyson/-solo-net in 1:08

Hehe. I always wanted to do this one but never bothered. Got a couple slower exits, but RNG was kind on this one and I managed to kill the big baddies really fast.

sw01t108.zip