Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

How many levels are a good amount for single player?

So after some thinking and some leaks I'm a bit worried that the single player in the new doom won't have enough levels, how many do you think would be an acceptable amount, and how many do you think the game will actually have?

That depends on the length of levels. Thief 1/2 have only like 15 levels each, but that's more than enough, because they're huge as hell.

I personally think that for an average Fps 20 levels is optimal. Like in Far Cry 1. Great game. For comparison, most other good fpses have usually like 20 something levels.

BluePineapple72 said:

So after some thinking and some leaks I'm a bit worried that the single player in the new doom won't have enough levels, how many do you think would be an acceptable amount, and how many do you think the game will actually have?

the raw number of levels doesn't matter as much as the pacing and length of the levels.

In either case we've been given a campaign length of time as '13 hours average' from id software. The likely means, with a handful of deaths and repeated attempts on some sections, you should be over the 10+ hour mark on a difficulty setting that challenges you some.

With minimal/no deaths and less challenging difficulty that 13 hour mark probably drops to sub 10 hours.

If you play on easy you'll probably beat the game in 6-8 as i imagine enemy encounters will be shorter and more quickly overcome, and with few if any deaths to set you back in progress.

So the key as always - play on the hardest difficulty you can muster if you want to get as much as you can out of your first playthrough.

Me i'd like a ton of levels. Who does does get enough of slaying demons anyway?
It's cool to have a couple series of similar themed and well designed maps to
plow through to really get in the mood. So i'd say around 30 maps with a solid
mix in length and complexity would do the job.

On the other hand with snapmap coming up and hopefuly later a community based editor
that can do what snapmap can't, i'm thinking that we won't run out of single play
for quite a while. It will just be a matter of different levels of design that we
encounter and with any luck some really nice gems to even replay a few times.

So you guys will be happy with maps that takes 5 minutes to finish, as long as there is a map load 25-30 times during the entirety of the game?

Measuring the game in levels makes no sense.

My analysis:

Exploration based maps-> Non linearity
Abstract design hidden behind realistic room/models

Close estimate-> HacX-like maps
HacX map timing on first try->varied, 10-60 minutes

id software's timing of campaign->13 hours/780 minutes

Estimated maps-> 780/10(highest), 780/60(lowest)

Conclusion:
-78 maps if maps are small.
-13 maps if maps are large.

You and Hacx always ^
Anyways i read a post for a developer on twitter saying SP cmp Will be 13 hours long campaign

I say it depends how complex each level is. If you can replay the level several times, find new routes, find new ways to speedrun. That would be a hell lot of fun!

Rather and smaller map with a complex touch than a large map with nothing in it.

I want a shit load of medium sized levels. Each with their own theme and style. I am dreaming of course.

30+ would be a good start.

We will probably see 20ish.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

You and Hacx always ^
Anyways i read a post for a developer on twitter saying SP cmp Will be 13 hours long campaign

A solid 6 hour campaign for first playthrough, then.
I'd like there to be at least 9 levels, one for every multiplayer map (they all seemed fairly different from another) and of good length and density.
If there are truly multiple paths to beating a level, then even better; it creates replayibility.

I'll go with 30-40. I'm sick of every FPS having 10-15 levels that you just blow through and forget about(looking at you Halo and COD).

Just checked it out now.
What an amazing tactic!
BTW this was my first video that didn't come from id, and it looks very promising.
Too bad the demon rune is timed though.

I thought Doom 3's length was pretty much ideal. Of course I didn't run through it and finish it in 5 hours missing all the cool shit like all the people who hated it did.

I felt Doom 3 was too long and drawn out. There wasn't much location variety, so the game should have been cut down.

I want the new DOOM to not overstay its welcome. Only keep it as long as the game stays fresh and fun. It looks to have a lot more variety than Doom 3, so I think an 8-10 hour campaign would work.

64 levels would be rad man.... Serious Sam had a lot of levels... but there were some memorable ones like The Great Pyramid and Hatshepshut.... :)

The original Doom had 27 levels, with the fourth episode adding an additional 9. Doom 2 had 30 (plus 2 secret levels obviously), and Doom 3 also had 27. In my opinion Doom 4 should had at least 27 levels. If less, I'll be very...

mistercow said:

Are we allowed to talk about leaked content? Cause the amount of levels is known through diving into the alpha files

Nope

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Doom 3 had 27 levels which was good .

Segmented into episodes would be even better. Otherwise, Doom 2 had 30 levels straight which would also be a good general number to go for. Better yet, include some secret levels where they can either be extra silly in their design or homages of older games. I'd rather not have cut and paste jobs, though, I'd rather have modern remade versions.

My favorite levels from Doom 3 are Monorail, Hell, Primary excavation and from ROE the toxics level , Hell and the very first level, because they look different and aren't boring Tech labs ... etc, I'd accept it if there was only 1 or 2 High tech labs levels but more than that would make the game feel too repeatitive .

Yeah Doom 3 had no variation in location, but neither did Doom. You had tech base, lost base, and hell levels. That is, if you grossly overgeneralize them both. If they put in enough detail in the levels like they did in Doom 3, those of us paying attention will be fine.

You completely ignored the excavated ancient Martian temples, which was THE one new setting Doom 3 introduced to the Doom universe.

Back to the original question: can't be reasonably answered because it depends on the level size.

Tetzlaff said:

You completely ignored the excavated ancient Martian temples, which was THE one new setting Doom 3 introduced to the Doom universe.

Back to the original question: can't be reasonably answered because it depends on the level size.

Oh those were my favorite areas in Doom 3.... the excavated Martian temples, Hell, and the labs that contained demons inside of cryotubes was the best part of Doom 3 IMHO.

Anyway back on-topic; I think 36 or 49 would be reasonable. I'd still like 64 though. =)