Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HellVain

How do you guys feel about atmosphere in DooM?

I've been binging on old doom clones fow awhile, and when I played system shock enhanced edition, it occured to me that a horror-like atmosphere might not be that bad. Of course i know that doom is lways about action since you guys kept telling me that doom should be fast and powerful, But what if it was fast, powerful AND scary? I mean not doom 3 scary where it relied heavily on jump scares(good game though) , I mean what if it had dark claustrophobic areas with demonic voices taunt you and mess with your mind with hallucinations like making you see a baron coming at you but then disapearing when you shoot it, not just arenas. where ammo is scarce and demon variants are tougher, areas where you need to think before you act, a room full of pinkys but you only have a few shots of rockets and pistol bullets and if you used your rockets then how yould you fight the five hell knights loudly roaring behind the door you are supposed to be going to? Risk it and kill the pinkies with the rockets and bullets? Or meelee the shit out of them and then use the rockets on the Knights. The live action trailer also made me think that despite Doomguy's strengh and skills, at the end of the day he's still fighting to survive.

What do you guys think?

But then again, i guess i could just make my own snapmap campaign

Well, Doom 64 had a dark tone and a scary soundtrack while mantaining gameplay mechanics intact, the thing is that from what I've heard in some interviews their main source of inspiration for this game has been the originals because their goal has been precisely to achieve the feeling of the original games, but I think something more dark like Doom 64 would be good too.

I personally would like to see something darker than the originals, maybe not as dark as Doom 64 but still darker than the originals, because I think it fits better with the game concept which is associated to dark themes and feelings; Hell, evil, death, aftermath, that kind of things.

I feel real Doom atmosphere in new game, but it must be better if they made game more gloomy, not DARKER(hello fkn Doom 3!).

NoisM said:

I feel real Doom atmosphere in new game, but it must be better if they made game more gloomy, not DARKER(hello fkn Doom 3!).

Hello doom 3 my old friend..
I've come to play with you again..
I hear the demons softly creeping..
Left its mutilated spoils rotting..
And the vision that was burnt to my brain...
Still remains..
The sound of Doom 3

I understand why most of you don't approve Doom 3 and find it repulsive to even imagine future Doom titles being like Doom 3, but a darker ambientation and atmosphere don't have to necessarily be associated to Doom 3 so relax, I mean look at Doom 64 or Quake, they are dark games and don't share the gameplay mechanics and level design of Doom 3, so why even bother hating on it?

Doom 64 was really great! And so was quale! Lol the young me actually thought that quake was the real doom 3

HellVain said:

Doom 64 was really great! And so was quale! Lol the young me actually thought that quake was the real doom 3

I thought that too because the person who talked to me about the game told me it was Doom 3.

Dark and grim.

The lack of sunlight and the music contribute to just that.

Even though I'm not the biggest fan of Doom 3, it had a wonderfully dark atmosphere, and of course I'm quite fond of Doom 64, so atmosphere means a lot to me. New one will undoubtedly have those moments, but I'm hoping to get some creep-out, slower moments.