Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

18th Birthday Miscellaneous

Yesterday was the day. I wasn't expecting anything special but it was pretty good. It started out with lunch at Arby's, followed by a rare game of 5-pin, which I won. 130 points.

Later in the day was an excellent meal of pork chop and vegetables. Thank you Barb! (Sister-in-common-law.) Followed by a very early cake time (6PM). It was a DQ ice cream cake which I found to be exquisitely rich. (Saskatoon seems to have the best Dairy Queens.)

Immediately afterward was the gift-opening. The first was a nice tall 8" 13oz thermal mug. It's a comforting brown color with a picture of South America. (It's a traveller coffee mug.) I'm sipping at it right now. It's excellent at keeping the heat in.

Next present was.. wow.. Two great DVD's. Chinatown and The Usual Suspects. Ranking #43 and #14 all-time respectively. I've never seen them. Simply excellent, excellent choices.

Next present was in a bigger box. Deceiving it was, as I got none other than the 4th best movie of all-time on DVD. Yes! Widescreen all the way!

Last and probably least was Warcraft 3. It's very pretty, but I don't want to get into all the things that have turned me off and made me groan so far. I'm still getting used to Dvorak.

Soon afterward we went to the batting cages. We did the 60MPH baseball one and man, I mas making some sweet contact. We took turns there for 45 minutes.

Finally, we did a round of 18-hole mini-golf. I scored 47, my older brother got a 49, and my younger brother got a 60. It was a par 56. My younger brother got the only hole-in-one.

Not bad for a birthday where I was expecting absolutely nothing.

AndrewB said:

. The first was a nice tall 8" 13oz thermal mug. It's a comforting brown color with a picture of South America. (It's a traveller coffee mug.) I'm sipping at it right now. It's excellent at keeping the heat in.

Those thermals are ok, they keep hot things hot and cold things cold...but how do they know?

The most memorable thing about my 18th birthday was that they refused to sell me beer at the local off-license - the first time they had ever done that!

AndrewB said:

It's a comforting brown color with a picture of South America.

The maths teacher at school used to have a briefcase we called "South America". It was very old, and one side of it had slipped underneath the base of it, just like the continental plate to the west of South America.

fodders said:

Whether to keep it hot or keep it cold.

Oh, I get it. Keep up the cute jokes, please.

It's just a thermal cup though, not a thermos. Those thermoses are wicked effective.

I forgot what my 18th birthday was like. However I remember my 19th birthday starting out quite strange. My mom called home from work and I answered since I was the only one home at the time. Then all of a sudden one of her co-workers had the phone and sang the birthday song off-key and worse yet called me Chrissy. AGH...

Well, I've got about 2½ months left to wait for yet another embarrassing moment.

I hate my own birthdays, because I don't like being in the center of all that attention.. Yuck. I'd rather celebrate someone else's birthday. By the way, happy birthday Andrew!

Disorder said:

I hate my own birthdays, because I don't like being in the center of all that attention.. Yuck. I'd rather celebrate someone else's birthday. By the way, happy birthday Andrew!

agreed. happy birthday andrew! still need to get the LOTR DVD

For a friend's 18th birthday, I once composed a MIDI birthday tune and played it to him over the phone.

Happy b'day. I got the car for my 18th but it's crapped out right now. Still like it though, it gets me places, when it works.

You don't need to play 5-pin, eat porkchops, eat ice cream cake, recieve gifts, watch DVD's, play baseball or play mini-golf to have fun.

NiGHTMARE said:

You don't need to play 5-pin, eat porkchops, eat ice cream cake, recieve gifts, watch DVD's, play baseball or play mini-golf to have fun.

What are the side effects and health detriments?

Where did I say there were any? I just said you don't have to do that stuff to have fun.

Although I must say that eating porkchops and icecream and watching too many DVDs (therefore not getting enough exercise) makes you fat. Oh, and porkchops help clog your arteries, possibly leading to a fatal heart attack.

Also, while playing mini-golf, you could get hit in the head by a high speed golf ball, leading to terrible brain damage or even death. I guess the same is also true with 5-pin, if there's a REALLY bad player about.

Recieving presents could also prove fatal, if someone you know decides to send you a bomb, or some anthrax or whatever.

In conclusion: NOTHING is safe.

But some things are more safe than others. Just because all things are dangerous to a degree, that doesn't mean ut's 100% fine to indulge in the most dangerous things.

We all draw our own boundaries, and I don't think mine are all that unreasonable.