Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Face23785

GZDoom mouse cursor doesn't disappear

As far as I know I'm using GZDoom 2.1 but I'm not sure how to check the exact version number. I'm having a problem when the game loads, the mouse pointer is still visible in the middle of the screen. The only way I've found to get it to disappear is to go into the video modes and re-select my resolution, and when the screen flashes the mouse disappears. That's a fairly quick fix, but I was wondering if anyone knew exactly why it does this and if I can fix it by changing a setting or something. Having to go and reset my video mode every time I load the game is extremely annoying.

You can completely disable the menu mouse cursor by setting "Enable Mouse in Menus" to "No" in "Mouse Options". It should solve the problem, of course with the "side effect" that mouse will become unusable in menus and you'll have to navigate them by keyboard only, which might not be what you want.

scifista42 said:

You can completely disable the menu mouse cursor by setting "Enable Mouse in Menus" to "No" in "Mouse Options". It should solve the problem, of course with the "side effect" that mouse will become unusable in menus and you'll have to navigate them by keyboard only, which might not be what you want.

I already have the mouse disabled in the menus, I use the keyboard to navigate menus anyway. Maybe I wasn't clear in my OP, I apologize, but this isn't a menu problem. The mouse cursor is visible during gameplay right from the first load screen. It doesn't matter whether I just open gzdoom or use the launcher to go straight to a level, the mouse cursor is in the middle of the screen where a reticle would be when I move the mouse to look around, it stays in the middle.

A suggested fix on there is to disable visual themes. Will this have any impact on how the game looks? I haven't noticed anything, and it did solve the issue for me.

This thing is also sensitive as heck: for me it can move even when I'm not touching the mouse. The whole idea of having cursor in Doom menus was kinda silly to begin with I think.

Sorry - it's fixed on my end since the April 13 build.

kuchitsu said:

This thing is also sensitive as heck: for me it can move even when I'm not touching the mouse. The whole idea of having cursor in Doom menus was kinda silly to begin with I think.

Yes, I kind of agree, and I certainly think the bunny-head is very out of place -- just a new cursor graphic in the same "DOOM"-font might be much more appropriate, but anyways; keyboard will easily suffice to navigate the menus but if the mouse works yet a little better then it's just super-terrific with an alternative way of navigating.

Well turns out disabling visual themes only works some of the time. I still get the problem. Hitting Alt+Enter twice has been a lot quicker than going through the menu and re-selecting my resolution.

Still, very annoying bug. I wish it could be fixed.

Edit: Just noticed the post before me talking about a new build. I just went to the site and the last release I see noted on the front page is from February. Am I missing something?

Face23785 said:

Edit: Just noticed the post before me talking about a new build. I just went to the site and the last release I see noted on the front page is from February. Am I missing something?

He means the SVN/dev builds which you can find here:

http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/

Are they stable? Any downsides to using them as opposed to the, idk what you'd call them, "full" releases that are on the main page?

They may occasionally be broken. The last few months in particular have seen some major changes and refactoring. By now most has been ironed out but the occasional small glitch may still happen.

Face23785 said:

Are they stable?

With the exception of the refactoring and new features Graf already mentioned, more often than not they're more stable than their latest release versions.