Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Royal_Sir

Share Your Non-Uploadable Wads Stories

You know what I mean. Your wad is so unfinished it will never see the light of day. Or its the wad you made that pirated so much crap from other people you couldn't possibly make it public. Or it was a personal concept you made that would never make past the ID archive requirements. Whatever the reason, you couldn't post it.

I'll start.

I started my mapping with something I called Without A Break, basically a megawad idea that my newbie self would undertake. 1 and a half levels complete. The first one was actually not so bad, maybe overdetailed and with some newbie mistakes, but for a first map, pretty good. Second map was more eh, I had a great UAC civil station building that I designed myself and was good gameplay wise, but the other buildings were actual floorplans for houses, didn't translate well for gameplay. Anyway, the real problem was, I practically ripped most of the assets from BYHAE. I had too much riding on the stuff from that, so I knew it would never see observation from the public eye. I stopped working on it upon this realization. Also the last time I relied on assets not publicly availible for use.

What about yall? Give a story. I know some of you have something that can't be placed online, tell us about it.

I wouldn't mind telling you the story. An interesting one.

I've been into mapping for several years now and during that time I've started making like over 100 different projects (not joking), but guess what! None of them was finished! And why? Because after a few hours of work I get bored. And when I want to start mapping again, I start a new project, because my previous projects seem boring to me and I don't want to continue them. I did finish one map, which was going to be a part of a map pack, but I stopped on the second map. Right now on my computer I have about 20 projects in various stages of unfinishness. I keep them, but I doubt I'll ever finish them. Oh, I suck.

My first foray into mapping was to take Map 01 from Doom 2 and put a cyberdemon in the outside section towards the end where there's a group of imps.

Yeah.

Since then I've started a new map several times, but I'm a slow learner, have the attention span of a goldfish, and the patience of someone who isn't very patient. I also lack any artistic skill or creativity whatsoever. So my maps tend to end up containing large quantities of FUCKING SUCKS. My most recent one was probably the most promising, it was a castle-type level intended as an E1M8 replacement with all kinds of secret passages and gimmicky tricks like bookcases that opened doors and whatnot, and a baron Lord at the climax. I actually may have eventually worked that one to completion and released it, but that's probably just what I'm safely telling myself now that I lost it in a hard drive snafu.

Once I got my new laptop, I downloaded DB2 and have a shortcut on my desktop like a momo, as if I have any intention of ever using it.

Some of you may know like I do sound like a broken record but, here's mine.

*Drinks rootbeer, adds in It's Raining Somewhere Else for background music*

I first started map designing in mid 2013. First map was done in 3 days, but it was a recipe for disaster. It was like a 94' map, but worse. I didn't know what I was doing at the time like most of us newbies. It was bland, random placed textures, some of the ceilings acted like doors, oh, it was just that bad. Few other maps were better a little. One of them was Posslabs.wad, a wad for Skulltag (Nowadays Zandronum). I still have it, but never got around it and pretty much abandoned it. I have 2 versions, normal not so great version and enhanced better version. It only had one map while the not so great, 4. There was one time where I was working on The NIGHTMARE! Palace, the wad got corrupted due to both XWE and GZDoom Builder open. Wondering why I had XWE instead of SLADE 3, it was because I used that when I was first map designing and never knew SLADE 3 at the time. I did know SLADE 3 when I was working on The NIGHTMARE! Palace, but I did use it because I could make ENDOOM screens out of that until I found out about ENDOOMER.Exe. With that, I finally ditched XWE. That wad was corrupted for half a year until LinkRulezAll told me about .BAK files. If I insert them to SLADE 3, it has its data and I was able to get back to that along with changing the layout. Still is a WIP, but atm, having a issue where bulletpuffs goes through demons on MAP03 in some areas. Thankfully it only applies on Skulltag and Zandronum. I do want to make it GZDoom exclusive, but the rendering on the swinging doors is kinda buggy since ZDoom does a terrible job rendering them whilst Skulltag and Zandronum, it does a better job. I have lots more like 5 or 6 since I did get out of hand. I guess I was too interested in mapping back then, lol. Due to art sessions, I barely get work done nowadays unless I feel like continuing on my current maps.

That's my story for you all.

Guest Unregistered account
Face23785 said:

...My most recent one was probably the most promising, it was a castle-type level intended as an E1M8 replacement with all kinds of secret passages and gimmicky tricks like bookcases that opened doors and whatnot, and a baron Lord at the climax. I actually may have eventually worked that one to completion and released it, but that's probably just what I'm safely telling myself now that I lost it in a hard drive snafu.

Hey... that fills me with inspiration for a new WAD!

My first WAD was made in 2012, when I was 11. It was an E1M1 replacement. Surprisingly, it was actually pretty average - there were quite a few nice designs, lighting was competent, there was E1-esque texturing, and monster placement was pretty good. The only gripes were that some walls were 1p wide and the Keycard system was just going back and forth. Also, the room with the Red Keycard was four-sided but was all wonky because I wanted it to just be 64x64 but had to get round the non-allignable flats.

IMO The only reason it wasn't a jagged, eye-bleeding mess was because I had seen Chubzdoomer's DB2 tutorials sometime when I was 10 and all the 4 year-old memories came flooding back (I had forgotten about Doom until this point). I was amazed that a program I remembered so well had a level editor (I go crazy for those) and had to get it.

Unfortunately, I didn't have any Doom games, so I just played around creating massive, untextured worlds in SkullTag format. I used Chubzdoomer's tutorials to create mock-up levels.
This meant that my first level had some form of planning and experience (though little).

I lost the .WAD file when my dad threw out my computer. :c (It was a slow, chunky lump with Windows XP that my parents got free from work; I now have a laptop that's faster. :P)

Joe667 said:

Hey... that fills me with inspiration for a new WAD!

Go for it, I doubt I'll ever work up the initiative to build it again from scratch. I was almost done with it and I only remember a few specific parts.

Joe667 said:

I lost the .WAD file when my dad threw out my computer

Sounds like cyberterrorism

I had a wad idea where I take the original IWAD levels and add cool new secrets in them.
I added the secrets to Entryway and then read the rules of uploading stuff to the idgames archive. The wad file saw deletion shortly after.

Guest Unregistered account
Face23785 said:

Sounds like cyberterrorism

xD
I'm still a child, he has the right to do this. And by "throw out", I just mean he moved it to storage and, I dunno, probably gave it away or something.

I plagiarized btsx map 1 and bastardized it into a savage, unrelentless slaughtermap without changing any architecture. The end.

I modified the original E1M1, converting it into a gzdoom map with secret passages under the green poison (to connect the imp room with the lake outside) and the two tech pillar at the beginning raising to reveal two teleporters (an idea I had since the first time I played that level).

My first Doom editing of any sort was taking the end room of Chex Quest 2's E2M5 and vastly increasing the amount of Flemoids. Then I'd noclip and run between them to make them fight (the original version of Chex Quest was apparently based on an older version of Doom and so the 'melee' attacks were actually short-ranged hitscans, I believe). Always loved infighting, thus that whole ZDoom Wars thing I did.

j4rio said:

I plagiarized btsx map 1

You can't plagiarize your own map, Essel. :<