Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGlide

Advice on my first map if you could please.

I'm making my first Doom map and it's going to be for mutany(the project). I'v worked alot(it's still WIP, and there is no exit yet) on this and I'm hoping it's going in the right direction. I appreciate you taking your time to look at this and provide your thoughts. Thank you in advanced. https://www.dropbox.com/s/3odutsyfp111vux/doesthiswork.wad?dl=0
(it's for Doom 2, prboom+ can run it.)(edit, I feel good and dumb now lol.) resources are a mix of doom 2's and 40oz's mutany resources.

Sorry, I dunno, I prolly shouldn't have made this thread, I'm just nervous about it. I don't know. I'm sorry if I'm waisting your time.

I messed up really bad, I'v got to get the textures to show up, I didn't see it like this in doom builder. this isn't going well. (edit, Figured out I had to merge them in slade. Yay.)

If you go to map options (edit, map options or press F2 in GZDB2) what resources have you added for the map to use? (and relax, you're not wasting anyone's time, it's what this forum is for!)

Looks like you need the resource pack from this thread:

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/73615-mutiny-community-project/
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vxdlaxh85nyixo/mutiny_res18.wad?dl=0

Load both your map and the resource pack with -file or dragging and dropping (however you load maps).

I got it working, I merged the resource pack with my map in slade. I'll get more of it polished up and update it again (it has textures now in the link above) before I go to work today.

MrGlide said:

Sorry, I dunno, I prolly shouldn't have made this thread, I'm just nervous about it. I don't know. I'm sorry if I'm waisting your time.

Don't be nervous :) You aren't wasting anyone's time. This is the perfect place to ask for feedback :)

It's an interesting, abstract level. The combat is fast paced and well balanced - I didn't feel overwhelmed at any point, and I didn't feel it was too easy. The layout was unusual but it wasn't bad, just different. Different is good. I like the textures you've used.

Lighting was ok - functional but nothing spectacular. The yellow area with the chaingunners near the beginning is very bright. Personally I'm not a fan of graded lighting where you have slightly darker sectors around the main light source. I think it adds visual confusion without looking any better, and sometimes worse. That's just a personal taste thing though.

The ammo balance was a little off. I ran out of ammo a few times, especially in that big room with the yellow door. The door entering that room bugged out on me after a few opens and I couldn't get it open again and had to clip through.

Make sure you use the lower unpegged tag on the walls next to the doors so that they don't move when the doors open and close. There are also some texture misalignments under a few windows.

The slime isn't damaging in the big room.

I stopped playing after a while because it was clearly unfinished, but I enjoyed what I played. Looking forward to the finished version :)

Bonus point for lighting, something one does not see often in a first map.
The are some miscues with missing textures on doortracks, which should be set to 'lower unpegged'.
Quite an enjoyable map.

The door into the cacodemon/ssg room doesn't close. There is a HOM in the first room behind the lamp on the right.

Sorry I don't have anything more substantial to say, I'm not much of a map critic. I though the monster placement was good.

Thanks for the reply's guys, as for the yellow chaingunner perches, I want those to atract the players attention so they see the chaingunners more easily making it a fair fight, I feel hiding chaingunners in the dark is cheap. Fair fights are fun. I'm going to work more on my map now, I don't know if I'll update it again on this thread but it will be released with mutany. I'm however looking for a mapping partner as the mutany rules say each map must be worked on by more then one person, thank you all for your feedback. oh, and how was the layout unusual? I'm just interested in what you felt was different from my map in comparison to other, thank you for your time.

The beginning area, for example, had a bunch of low walls that seemed to serve no practical function and be there just as obstacles, and just generally the architectures was different to a typical doom level. Your level looks like an original creation, rather than a doom clone.

Quineotio said:

The beginning area, for example, had a bunch of low walls that seemed to serve no practical function and be there just as obstacles, and just generally the architectures was different to a typical doom level. Your level looks like an original creation, rather than a doom clone.

oh, well thank you, they do have purpose, to block line of sight and mess with the zombies ai, so it gets a little random. It also helps to space out the enemies so you dont just spray everything to death across the room, or everything attacking you at once.

I understand what the gameplay function is, but because there is no reason for a building to be built like that I called your level abstract and unusual.

Quineotio said:

I understand what the gameplay function is, but because there is no reason for a building to be built like that I called your level abstract and unusual.

ahh I get what you mean. Ya that;s the way I plan to do all of my maps, It's why doom is my favorite game, I like good gameplay over "realistic" maps.

I was on the Mutiny project, but then left. So I already have the resources for it. PM me the wad.

TraceOfSpades said:

I was on the Mutiny project, but then left. So I already have the resources for it. PM me the wad.

I updated the link with the wad and resources merged together.