Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quagsire

Do you guys hate Skulltag?

I feel like it had potential, but then it went downhill, and that's the result of it being cancelled and why it remains buggy to this day.

But Zandronum is the same as Skulltag, except it's maintained by different people. Nobody hated Skulltag back in the day.

ChekaAgent said:

But Zandronum,is the same as Skulltag, except it's maintained by different people. Nobody hated Skulltag back in the day.

I still have some respect for it, because it inspired lots of weapons like the railgun to be remade. And believe me, I love my railguns the way I like other weapons.

Able to clear a wave of demons.

You can use Skulltag weapons with Zandronum.

Tbh, I don't know why Skulltag changed it's name to Zandronum. It's seriously the same port except with lack of Skulltag's custom stuff.

Skulltag was my reintroduction to Doom back in 2009 when I hadn't played it religiously in a few years and thus I had begun to do so again. I deemed it superior to G/ZDoom because it had both a software and hardware renderer and online support that was easy to do and the many mods that were ST-specific.

However, once I found out that ST was like 5 divisions behind the development of G/ZDoom causing a lot of mods to break or be too much of a pain to support on ST and Doom multiplayer waned on me I switched to G/ZDoom.

ChekaAgent said:

You can use Skulltag weapons with Zandronum.

Tbh, I don't know why Skulltag changed it's name to Zandronum. It's seriously the same port except with lack of Skulltag's custom stuff.

I know, but still, Skulltag left a good mark in Doom history. Sadly it never went out with a bang.

ST was also the reason why I got into randomizers, since someone put together a Skulltagstuff for it to generate ST actors into regular Doom and it made for a sweet little enhancer.

What do you mean by "Classic DM"? I thought that role was filled by Chocolate/Crispy Doom, Doomsday, ZDaemon, and Odamex, with Skulltag/Zandronum being more "new school".

Cyanosis said:

ST was also the reason why I got into randomizers, since someone put together a Skulltagstuff for it to generate ST actors into regular Doom and it made for a sweet little enhancer.

Ironic, I just made one of those today! :P
Except it was for GZDoom.

Danfun64 said:

What do you mean by "Classic DM"? I thought that role was filled by Chocolate/Crispy Doom, Doomsday, ZDaemon, and Odamex, with Skulltag/Zandronum being more "new school".

Zandronum is really the only one that has bots...right?

I use that thing all the time.

Zandronum is confusing to set up when you need to use the Skulltag stuff for it.

I also grew up with it.

Omegalore said:

I use that thing all the time.

Zandronum is confusing to set up when you need to use the Skulltag stuff for it.

I also grew up with it.

You literally just load two mods.

One, if you use the version that combines the two.

Sgt Ender said:

Ironic, I just made one of those today! :P
Except it was for GZDoom.

Does it feature the Runes? I always hated how the Realm667 site has almost all the ST stuff to download except the Runes, those really added to long megawad playthroughs.

For me the community always seemed too "modern internet"-like, if that makes any sense. Everyone talks in meme-influenced style like on 4chan\Twitch\whatever, is into Twitter, My Little Pony and current anime, and usually talks very fast for some reason. In comparison, ZDaemon feels more like an evening meeting of vinyl collectors in a local bar or something. I don't know, I just feel more at home with these people.

Nobody hates skulltag, the creator (carn) just left that source code for other people to maintain, because he wanted to work on a brand new game called "Wrack" instead and actually recieve money for his hard work.

@kuchitsu People in Zdaemon speak memeful too, you're a meme there yourself. (and that's fine)

I don't hate it, it's just discontinued and it's multiplayer is no longer working, So i'm using Zandronum , it's just Skulltag without the custom maps and objects , But it's still possible to load em Manually .

joe-ilya said:

Nobody hates skulltag, the creator (carn) just left that source code for other people to maintain, because he wanted to work on a brand new game called "Wrack" instead and actually recieve money for his hard work.

@kuchitsu People in Zdaemon speak memeful too, you're a meme there yourself. (and that's fine)

Wrack was a great game, too.

I like Skulltag. I used to play the shit out of the Invasion campaign it added. The Deathmatch campaign wasn't half-bad either.

But if I had to be honest, to me, the best part about Skulltag would be the near-metric ton of custom things that it added.

Skulltag and ZDaemon were the first Doom ports I've ever used. I don't use Skulltag anymore for a long time, though I keep using Zandronum. But I don't hate Skulltag, why would I? The new content was fine, even though I ended up preferring to play without it, in Zandronum. The new game modes were also fine.

I remember there being loads of servers for Skulltag back in the day unlike most multiplayer source ports of today.

I miss the mortal conflict episode of Skulltag, it actually felt like something a hypothetical 1997 doom-3 would have.

Tompig said:

I miss the mortal conflict episode of Skulltag, it actually felt like something a hypothetical 1997 doom-3 would have.

Agreed

Cyanosis said:

Does it feature the Runes? I always hated how the Realm667 site has almost all the ST stuff to download except the Runes, those really added to long megawad playthroughs.

Sadly it doesn't. I could add them though probably.

I used to love it for all the custom stuff it added and played a lot of invasion and deathmatch. Later on, I found out that its development lagged behind (G)ZDoom like someone mentioned earlier and left it behind, specially once it got discontinued.