Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinsie

ISP tells RIAA to fuck off

If the record companies try to do it to computers in the UK, they'll quickly find themselves in court, thanks to our wonderful Data Protection Act.

that is just fucking awesome.

I can't belive the RIAA is putting it's puny lawsuits up against the collective evil of the enire internet. Did they not take the hint after they nuked napster, file-sharing got even worse with not just the trading of music but potentially any file on someone's computer?

Record companies have found a new group they've yet to sue or destroy: internet service providers.

Thankfully, it's only happening to AT&T and Cable & Wireless in the US at the moment, but such cases could set a precedent. For instance, if Sony, Universal and RCA manage to force ISPs to block customer access to certain file-sharing sites (in this case, the offending one is called Listen4ever), then bang goes the free-to-roam internet as we know it.

Hasn't the recording industry, which blames file-sharing for a slump in profits, done enough damage already?

I wonder when they're going to get the idea that file sharing can never be stopped. And who gonna stop me from putting a shitload of mp3s on my server for all the world to download?? nobody. It's nice to see one ISP not rolling over and playing dead with the RIAA.

I was talking to my brohter about this and he read an article in Stereophile that said the RIAA tried to tag a provision onto the Anti-Terrorism bill that went through after Sept. 11 that would give them the right to go into your computer and search for illegal material.

And what's even better, if they completely erased your harddrive in the process, they wouldn't be held accountable.

i hope this shit never happens, but it makes me more proud to have my ultimate firewall of doom.

if they keep fucking with our rights based on this anti-terrorism bullshit, then Bin Laden already beat us.

Heh...damn this is like a little internal war going on. Shit, most artists don't even care if their stuff id being shared. Hell, many even encourage it.

Stores get shoplifted all the time. Why not make it legal for storeowners to break into people's homes to search for stolen articles? Same joping thing.

RailGunner said:

if i were the president i'd shut down the RIAA immediatly.

stupid presidents seem to be in vogue right now. I'm sure you'd do well.

RailGunner said:

I don't think the president can just go in and shut them down just like that.

RailGunner said:

The president is a figurehead with no real power, merely a public representation and the limited ability to tell Congress where to shove its bills. He/she isn't allowed to take direct action, merely "ask Congress" to do shit for him. But that's beside the point.

The RIAA is a boatload of hypocrisy. I wonder what it would be like if they started purging music pirates from their own offices, for starters.

Heh, this is retarded. You know these bills will never pass, because if they do people will scream invasion of privacy.

IMJack said:

The president is a figurehead with no real power,

He can issue executive orders though.

RailGunner said:

the RIAA forgot the reason why people buy firewalls.

To keep Ralphis from remotely accessing our computers and hacking websites?

I wonder how many other ISPs will follow Info's steps..

Hope my ISP (Optimum Online) does too