Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xerge

Synthwave

We got a vaporwave thread, so I thought that it might be good idea to have a Synthwave thread too.

This is a music video that was released this year.

Sorry for posting this here, but why won't it let me post threads? It keeps saying I need o slow down on them, but the last one I posted was like 2 days ago.

Sgt Ender said:

Sorry for posting this here, but why won't it let me post threads? It keeps saying I need o slow down on them, but the last one I posted was like 2 days ago.

Think of it as a cooldown period. You should slow down a bit and post less. You don't wanna wind up like this guy, do ya? ;)

Something I love about the synthwave scene is that there's a lot of really different-sounding music all labeled under the synthwave banner, ranging from the lighter, happy 80's-sounding stuff (ex: Betamaxx) all the way to very dark and/or heavy synths, inspired by 80's horror movie soundtracks (ex: GosT).

"The Wrath of Code" by Dan Terminus is currently my absolute favourite synthwave album, though Perturbator's upcoming "The Uncanny Valley" may very well take that title when it's out.

Speaking of The Uncanny Valley, here's the opening track:

Only a month left to wait.

AD_79 said:

Something I love about the synthwave scene is that there's a lot of really different-sounding music all labeled under the synthwave banner, ranging from the lighter, happy 80's-sounding stuff (ex: Betamaxx) all the way to very dark and/or heavy synths, inspired by 80's horror movie soundtracks (ex: GosT).

That's the best description of the synthwave genre, it's pretty much freestyle in 80s synth form! Now here are few solid (less known) album recommendations from me:

Neon Waves (9:52) is the real highlight of the album though the rest is really solid.

Something vocal-focused, the entire album screams QUALITY in best ways possible.

This album starts really strong and it doesn't let go until it's over :)

Carpenter Brut - Invasion A.D.

I was tempted to make a Synthwave thread (or get AD_79 to make one lol). I mostly listen to Perturbator, Dan Terminus, and Carpenter Brut, though Dan Terminus is my favorite.

AD_79 said:

"The Wrath of Code" by Dan Terminus is currently my absolute favourite synthwave album

Heh same here. Wrath of Code, Death by Distortion, and Restless Destroyer are my favorite tracks on that album.

The genre itself is legit, so is vaporwave, but as someone named Trevor going through an existential crisis, this artist reaches me on a whole new level.

So, If I had to pick a single favourite track, it would probably be this (not from The Wrath of Code, surprisingly!):

dew: Hehe, knew you'd post Raw Power :)

Been listening to Aeternus by Dynatron today, it has a very 'adventurous' sound that I really like. It got re-released very recently through Blood Music, at Name Your Price, no less!~

I live for this shit. I have an entire AIMP3 playlist full of it.

Some of my favorite low-key tracks:

Although I listened to some of this before, no that I think of it, I think it was actually Hobo With a Shotgun that got me into looking for the stuff.

Because I'm a pretentious asshole who can't just quote one song. :P
I'm also a big fan of darkwave and horror synth when it's done right... my overall favorite band is VHS Glitch, seriously, "Return" is a total majestic and godlike masterpiece and is my fave within the synth universe, it especially fits with the terminator footage. :P

Some of the powerglove tracks on the Far Cry 3 soundtrack are amazing. Not just the synthwave stuff, but meshing in a bit of Miami Vice-era Jan Hammer or 80's Hans Zimmer... It is an excellent nostalgia trip.

Hadn't heard of VHS Glitch before and i have to say, i like what i hear.

Carpenter Brut is one of my favourites. Invasion A.D and Paradise Warfare are two of his better tracks from his latest release, although Roller Mobster is still ridiculously good.

(42:28: War for Cybertron)

there is so much great music and after grueling overexposure i can even sort out the nostalgiasmiths like Sellorekt/LA Dreams (the pcorf of synthwave) who have some pretty good darksynth lurking in their repertoire. i could talk about this stuff for ages but i've been writing mini reviews on bandcamp for albums since I started working the outage, so i'll link you to my bancamp fan page instead. i use the wishlist function to track just about anything synthwave, so theres all that too. I am def a Perturbator fanboy at heart but my horizons have broadened so much more since then.

Looks like you linked your Bandcamp without an actual URL.

However, I've also been looking for stuff on Bandcamp lately (For more than synth, too). Generally, I only wishlist what I consider buying and use the Follow function for others. But it's a great source for anything with synth, I'll second you on that.

Night Runners I posted earlier I found for example.

These two, too.

http://30thfloor.uk/album/new-horizon
https://powergloveaudio.bandcamp.com/album/ep-ii

Clonehunter said:

Looks like you linked your Bandcamp without an actual URL.

However, I've also been looking for stuff on Bandcamp lately (For more than synth, too). Generally, I only wishlist what I consider buying and use the Follow function for others. But it's a great source for anything with synth, I'll second you on that.

Night Runners I posted earlier I found for example.

These two, too.

http://30thfloor.uk/album/new-horizon
https://powergloveaudio.bandcamp.com/album/ep-ii

Lol, thanks. EPII is fucking fantastic, I really like the new Power Glove sound. The new EP from "ALEX" on NewRetroWave is kind of similar. I got New Horizon recently but haven't listened yet

PowerGLove's EP II is good, but I'd say it's not as strong as the first. There's something about the nature of Nightforce and the drive of Streets of 2043 that makes it stand out. Plus the fun and silliness of Maximum Potential. The only thing that really stood out to me on EP II was Motorcycle Cop, though the whole thing is still a good listen. I just don't think it was as strong.