Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTX1996

Odd no-clippable wall

I honestly have no idea how to describe this... basically I can *sort of* walk through the wall, and the Revvies can not only see me through it, but can kind of shoot through it and punch me through it as well. It gets even weirder once the floor raises up, since it's meant to be a pop-up trap. The Revenants can literally WALK OFF OF THE LEDGE. I think it may be because I made the sector too big, but I doubt that's the issue here. Also, tagging it as "impassable" doesn't help any.

Here's a .gif of the glitch (may take a few seconds to load.)
http://imgur.com/dAaKCD1

Probably the only way to figure out how to fix the issue would be to provide the map in question for analysis, although I had a similar issue recently and I think switching my nodebuilder to ZenNode from GLBSP fixed it.

Rayzik said:

Probably the only way to figure out how to fix the issue would be to provide the map in question for analysis, although I had a similar issue recently and I think switching my nodebuilder to ZenNode from GLBSP fixed it.

I have it set to ZenNode (Normal) as my default Node Builder.
Here's the map if you want to bother trying to fix it (I drew an arrow towards the glitched wall. It's in the northern portion of the map... yes, the huge outdoor area leading out into the blood sea.)
https://www.mediafire.com/?mdvw3ahq05muwea

Wow, that is really a conundrum. I have tried just about everything I can think of to no effect. Actually I ended up breaking it even worse, because now instead of that small section being glitched out, I managed to break that whole ledge.

Sorry about that, wish I could've helped you out more. Someone who knows more about the engine/nodes might be able to help better than I can.

==================EDIT

Ok. I fixed it. And this is honestly just dumb to me, but I actually rebuilt the nodes for the map with GLBSP and it fixed it. Try that? Although it fixed that one spot, GLBSP might break something else in the map so you might have to check everything else out and see if it works still.

==================EDIT #2

Did a cursory check in ZDoom to see if I could notice any errors anywhere. Nothing showed up, but I am skeptical of ZDoom. I couldn't figure out what combination of texture wads and IWAD you had so I couldn't launch it with anything other than ZDoom. You should check in the port you are trying to have this map compatible with.

Something odd going on and I cannot put my finger on it.

When looking at this sector, instead of showing the deep floor where the revenants dwell, it shows the floor of the adjacent sector.

Spoiler

I then changed the floor texture just to differentiate it. Now, when crossing the trigger the correct floor texture is shown.
Spoiler

but still, the deep sector is not showing at first. To remedy that I change to the Make Section Mode in the editor and clicked that sector. I also retraced the linedefs of the sector with the revenant. Either way shows the sector correctly.
Spoiler

That's actually intended behavior. The walls left blank in a pit allows the flat from the surrounding sector to bleed over the resulting HOM effect and it covers the pit with the floor texture.It's good for hiding stuff in the floor and having it seemingly raise out of the ground, or alternatively for cool effects compatible with vanilla to simulate deep water/nukage/lava/etc.

Rayzik said:

That's actually intended behavior.

Strange to exploit this trick in that situation, since the pit cannot be seen ordinarily.

As for node building I have set Nodebuilder to none and let GZDoom build the nodes on the fly.

It looks like the blockmap is not created correctly.

When starting this in GZDoom as-is I get the glitch, when I check which linedefs get touched, I get incorrect information. When I set the engine to regenerate the blockmap and restart the level the glitch goes away.

Zennode is not the best programmed code ever, it makes some pretty stupid assumptions when allocating its memory buffers and it may just be that this causes some failure.

You should try another node builder first. But I'm not sure if it's actually a blockmap overflow or just a bug in Zennode that's triggering this effect.

Thanks everyone for the help, although I've figured it out thanks to another mapper here on Doomworld. As it turns out, I went over the node limit for Doom and had to find an extended node builder. It's fixed now! I'll have to remember to make my maps not as huge/detailed in the future I guess.

Although, once question remains... did other mappers like Ribbiks and Insane_Gazebo use the extended node builder, or did they manage to somehow stay under the hard limit?

This wasn't over the nodes limit, it was over the blockmap limit. I don't know how good Zennode is here but it's imaginable that it doesn't build a proper blockmap if some limits are exceeded.

It would still be some useful info what node builder processes this correctly.

Empyre said:

Where is this extended node builder?

Probably means ZDBSP. It's in the default package of node builders that comes with DB2 and GZDB and that you may simply choose in "Game Configuration -> Node Building" options.