Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

What is your favorite movie of all time?

After participating in Roadworx's thread about the worst movies you've ever seen, I wanted to make one about our favorite films.

Mine is Reservoir Dogs. For me, it was the first movie where

Spoiler

you felt bad that the bad guy who you were certain wasn't the rat turned out to be an undercover cop, and you were pissed when you realized that the bad guys weren't going to get away with it...well, except maybe Buscemi.

because it's never explicitely stated what happens next.

But I loved the reverse "who done it" thing they had going in it. Plus, it has phenomenal dialogue, as is expected in a Tarantino film.

darn, this is a hard one...

i can make a LIST of my favorite movies, in no particular order!

Jacob's Ladder
The Thin Red Line
All Quiet On The Western Front
We Were Soldiers
The Pacific (not really a movie but w/e)
Letters From Iwo Jima

That depends on the genre.
Commando is easily my favourite action film.
My favourite sci-fi film is Star Wars: A New Hope.
My favourite romantic film is easily The Room.
My favourite horror film is 28 Days Later.
One of my favourite films is Eraserhead, just because of how insane it is.

Well, now I want to go about this by genre too.

So...

Action: Reservoir Dogs
Comedy: Little Nicky
Romance: Titanic
Horror: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Gunnar Hansen)
Animated: Lilo amd Stitch
SciFi: Alien
Drama: The Green Mile

A few honorable mentions are in order, but in no particular order: Full Metal Jacket (action), The Strangers (horror), Paul (comedy), Forrest Gump (Drama), Aladdin (animated), Ghostbusters (SciFi)

My top ten favorite movies of all time are:

1. Taxi Driver (1976)
2. John Carpenter's "The Thing" (1982)
3. The Godfather Part I and II (1972 and 1974)
4. Apocalypse Now (1979)
5. Alien (1979)
6. The Terminator (1984)
7. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
8. The Shining (1980)
9. Reservoir Dogs (1992)
10. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974 original)

Not the most original picks I know, but these are my favorite nonetheless.

No other movie has resonated on such a deep level with me as Taxi Driver. The acting is impeccable. The night driving scenes are fantastic, and viewing Robert De Niro is like watching a projection of myself onto a movie screen. Warped cinematic perfection. Haunting.

Also "The Thing," "Alien" and "The Terminator" are the ultimate holy grails or horror and science fiction in my books.

I can't name a single movie as best of all time. Different moods and different times results in different forms of appreciation. Do I rate my most viewed the best or the current movie that excites me the most?

So like some others I will have to list some of my most favorite but no in order, I can't make up my mind.
- Terminator 2
- Aliens 2 and even 4
- Robocop 1
- The Thing
- The Raid 1 + 2
- The Fifth Element
- Army of Darkness
- Unleashed
- Joan of Arc
- Kingdom of Heaven

Special Mentions go to many classics though
- God Father 1 + 2
- Gran Torino
- Star Wars episode 3, 5, 6 (my favs), and possibly 7
- Lord of the Rings to some extent
- The Matrix
- Back to the Future 1 + 2
- Alien (1)
- Terminator (1)
- So much more!

I need to stop.

Blade Runner
Alien
The Terminator
Shaun of the Dead
Back to the Future
2001: A Space Odyssey
Reservoir Dogs
Jaws

Sort of in that order.

Films like Blade Runner, The Terminator, 2001, and Alien are pinnacle sci-fi films, imo. They create believable lived in worlds that are unlike any other, and that's saying something when The Terminator was basically modern day LA.

Back to the Future and Jaws are incredible examples of pure entertainment and remarkable craftsmanship.

Reservoir Dogs was brutally honest and spun a visceral tale that hadn't been realized since the classic Godfather films.

T2 was good, but I felt it was a weaker film, especially in regards to how drawn out it was. Aliens was also fantastic and ranks highly, but Alien managed to be a form of art mixed with suspense and subtle story telling. After seeing Reservoir Dogs I had high hopes for Pulp Fiction, but something about it just seemed off the mark and I don't think it lived up to the hype.

Favorite Drama, and favorite movie: Full Metal Jacket
Favorite Comedy: Shaun of the Dead
Best Movie Ever, but not my favorite because every time I watch it, it makes me depressed beyond belief: Come and See

Like everyone else, hard as hell to pick just one. In no particular order:

Full Metal Jacket
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Superbad
22 Jump Street
Get Him to the Greek
Super Troopers
The Borne Trilogy
The Jungle Book
Aladdin
Toy Story
Terminator 1 & 2
Tucker and Dale vs Evil
Austin Powers
Monty Python (Holy Grail and Life of Brian specifically)
The Dark Knight
Ace Ventura
The Truman Show
Akira
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Shaun of the Dead
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Shining

Plus a whole lot more I can't think of..

Imo it's not very fun when people reply in such threads with like 10-20 movies. Too long to read and the post kind of lacks impact when it isn't concentrated on just one or two films.

Anyway, I see that Brazil wasn't mentioned yet so I guess I'm gonna be that guy.

kuchitsu said:

Imo it's not very fun when people reply in such threads with like 10-20 movies. Too long to read

Personally I think it's interesting to get a bit of a scope of what people like. I don't mind a few extra seconds of reading, I like the little window of insight it gives.

Hard to say, but I think The Lion King. Elton John's music in that movie was awesome.

I don't watch a lot of movies. Most of them were family movies I watched when I was a little kid. But my all time favorite is Face/Off. The idea that Nicholas Cage is acting as John Travolta and visa versa, and directed by John Woo. It's just perfect. So so perfect.

In no particular order:
Godfather
Terminator
Aliens
ST 2:The wrath of Khan
It's a wonderful life
Snatch
Interstellar
Wayne's world
Blade Runner
The Dark Knight Rises (though only the first 6 minutes are worth it for me anymore).

Taxi Driver
Scarface
Full Metal Jacket
Death Proof
Vanishing Point
Event horizon
Army of Darkness

kuchitsu said:

Imo it's not very fun when people reply in such threads with like 10-20 movies. Too long to read and the post kind of lacks impact when it isn't concentrated on just one or two films.

Anyway, I see that Brazil wasn't mentioned yet so I guess I'm gonna be that guy.

Oh yeah, Brazil is great. I only saw it within the past year or so, but it was just incredible in the boldness of its storytelling and its wild retrofuture aesthetic.

And I agree. Picking one thing (or even just a couple) and actually talking about what you like about them, makes for a way more interesting thread than just people rattling off names with no context.

I watched it when I was like 14 years old I think, right after seeing the movie 1984. It was so mindblowing to see a kinda similar theme tackled in such a different manner. I think this kind of art is my favorite: when things are funny, absurd, sad and beautiful all at the same time... That's kind of what life is, isn't it.

I don't understand why he filmed The Zero Theorem though. It felt too much like the same thing all over again, just much less spectacular.

kuchitsu said:

Agreed, these kinds of posts also seem like "here is my chance to list some things I like, time to do that and then never come back to the thread!"

I like David Lynch's movies a lot, I'm not sure what my favourite is but to pick one I'll say Inland Empire. It's his most creative and unrestrained film IMHO, and one that sort of feels like a good bookend opposite Eraserhead: they're both the "purest" Lynch films I think, totally immersed in their own worlds. Of course this kind of thing will completely lose a lot people, but for those that enjoy dream logic and don't need an obvious narrative to grab on to, they're excellent.

I've been meaning to watch Brazil for some time now, this was a good reminder.

There's an old black and white film about an optimistic guy at World War II who cheers his very young son while they are taken by the nazis, at the end the man is ordered to go behind a building to get shot by a nazi, before he went there he told his son that the nazis are sending him to a happy place or something.

I don't remember the name of the film, it was touching and I actually felt sorry for the man.

joe-ilya said:

There's an old black and white film about an optimistic guy at World War II who cheers his very young son while they are taken by the nazis, at the end the man is ordered to go behind a building to get shot by a nazi, before he went there he told his son that the nazis are sending him to a happy place or something.

I don't remember the name of the film, it was touching and I actually felt sorry for the man.

Sounds like "Life is Beautiful", but that's not in black and white.

RoboCop. Greatest movie ever. Been watching it since '89 or '90 when I was two or three. Rented it every single weekend; they guy at the video store made us a copy and gave my little self the RoboCop 2 poster they had. Owned a bootleg on VHS, a legit VHS, the oop Director's Cut DVD and now the Blu-ray. Hated the reboot with a passion like you wouldn't believe. To this day I watch it anywhere from 3-10 times a year.

yukib1t said:

Probably the original Robocop. It just feels so timeless.

This. You, sir, are awesome.

Probably Fellowship of the Ring, which I've always considered the strongest of the LOTR films.

I'm a big fan of Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight series but I'm hard-pressed to pick one film in particular.