Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
s13n1

DOOM HD Project

Ok Gustavo why don't you go ahead and make some "real" models while the rest of us drool over these actually good-lookimg ones.

Back on topic: I'm excited to see what's gonna be the next texture or model done; it's been over 2 weeks since that sweet chaingun!

I didn't say they were bad, I just said they were a bit cartoony, even then it is one of the best models I ever saw! Especially the Baron; pure AWESOMEness!

I could give some suggestions in how to make they real, but I'm still thinking of them.

@Gustavo6046 models are pretty cool, and designer keep their original form with fantastic detail. It is s13n1's form of art and I salute to it. He likes what he do and this is most important thing cause this makes a fun. I always say - don't you like something, do it better :)

MrDeviance said:

So. I see this topic died?

Looks to still be in progress. Last few images were uploaded within the last few months. Hope these all come together and see the light of day, because this is completely amazing work :D

Yeah, no posts recently cause project has died.

..Or I've just been busy with other things?

Be sure to check the blog now and then. Follow me!

http://qdhd.tumblr.com

Going to start prototyping 3D prints of my models soon.

25W X 25L X 33H Max size. Big!

Going to be printing all kinds of models. Large super high detail busts, full figures, possibly some with ball joints for posing, some with transparent components to use as lamps, some decorative objects for the home, like Doom light switch covers, toilet roll holders and shower heads, ill even have a go at using soft materials.

I've got a lot of ideas for some very cool Doom and Quake related 3D models. I think you'll love em.

Some will be unprocessed and cheap, others will be post processed and painted. These won't be so cheap and will be very limited.

Stay tuned for a more detailed post in the coming weeks.

Hiya!

s13n1 said:

Some will be unprocessed and cheap, others will be post processed and painted. These won't be so cheap and will be very limited.

Stay tuned for a more detailed post in the coming weeks.

Er...so you're making 3D prints of DOOM characters and then selling them? If so, I hope you have a *real* good lawyer.

I'd love to have some 3D DOOM models on my desk/shelf. I can make the 3D part, but have no 3D printer...and, as far as I know, there isn't one anywhere in town where I live (well, not one that will print stuff for you...which they probably couldn't do for me anyway, due to Trademark, Copyright and I.P. stuff).

Fan art.

Just as someone can paint a portrait or take a photo of a landscape featuring an area of land or structure owned or designed by someone else, and sell it, I can sell my own art. I'm a photographer and have sold my photos which feature privately owned subjects.

My art is fan art inspired by the games.

If someone was to directly extract the 3D models from ids games and sell them, then yes, there would be legal issues.

These models are 100% my own work, will not be labelled, named, branded or packaged as Doom products. Unlike the lovely Doom socks that you can pre-order..

The shareware version of Doom was distributed for free by Id and retailers were allowed to sell it royalty free.

Modders of id games were allowed to require payment for their work, the only limitation being that their mods could not work with the shareware version.

If some who is a practising solicitor can clarify this or produce some official legal documentation directly related to Doom 1/2, it would be great.

That's very nice idea
BUT...
You're absolutely right saying that is only your work and only you have right to sell your stuff. But I'm afraid that you can't sell that stuff under Doom trademark. Stuff is your's but some stupid troll can inform id software lawyers that you use trademark, that isn't your property.
I keep my fingers crossed for you to succeed, but you need to rethink the way of selling this without using Doom's name.
Anyway - I'm wait to see more of your work man! I look here every day in hope that you have some new art.

s13n1 said:

These models are 100% my own work, will not be labelled, named, branded or packaged as Doom products. Unlike the lovely Doom socks that you can pre-order..

I won't be naming them or branding them with anything related to Doom.

I know of quite a few privately made Doom related products that the artists are selling.

I'm honestly not worried.

While i wait for my 3D printer to be made, i thought i might start making some new models specifically for 3D printing.

This ones a Pen / Toothbrush holder.

Will be available in Red or Green.

Pen / Toothbrush Holder by Doom HD, on Flickr

I just slapped on the marble texture to jazz it up a bit.

I've opened an Instagram account, where ill be posting QDHD stuff as well as 3D prints, and also some stuff related to my other projects and photography.

You can find me here:

https://www.instagram.com/s13n1/

You know what would be awesome? If the models were put on a pedestal like the Doom 2016 Collector's Edition Revenant.

Already planning to.

I'm going to offer different bases too. Some tech style, some hell style, so you can choose what you like.

I've got a lot of ideas for interchangeable and connectable base plates, with walls too, so you can set up little level scenes.

s13n1 said:

If some who is a practising solicitor can clarify this or produce some official legal documentation directly related to Doom 1/2, it would be great.

Jeez man, don't just stick your head in the sand or hope an actual lawyer will pop up here to help you. If you're gonna go to the trouble of selling some DOOM-based artwork then the least you can do get some proper legal advice first.

As I said in previous posts, I won't be labelling them or officially associating them with Doom. Im selling my art to anyone who contacts me and expresses interest.

If I had an online shop selling a range of named and branded models with the Doom logo everywhere, I'd be asking for trouble. I simply wouldn't do it, it's quite obviously a bad idea.

Asking for a solicitor to offer their advice, Is basically my polite way of saying, "unless you actually know what you're talking about, don't comment".

Everyone's an expert on the Internet.

Anyway, here's another model. This will be a Desk Lamp.

I'll be making mine as a USB powered lamp, but it's modelled with an internal structure allowing a battery.

The textures here are just temporary.

USB Desk Lamp by Doom HD, on Flickr

And just to clarify, im primarily making these for myself.

I'm getting a 3D printer to prototype a photography device i've designed, and as a bonus, i'm going to start printing my models.

The only Doom related models you can get are the reaper miniatures and that $500-$600 Gaming Heads thing.

I'm making what i would love to have that no one else currently makes.

If someone sees what i make and wants one, they can contact me and ill sell them one. In much the same way you can contact an artist who will make you a highly detailed Jurassic Park dinosaur maquette. But unlike those JP maquettes that are almost all made from molds taken of official JP maquettes, this work is 100% all my own.

If i was making prints of models ripped directly from id's games, then there would be obvious issues.

My models wont be uploaded to places like thingiverse or shapeways. That's again, obviously a bad move and also an invitation for people to distribute them freely.

If some people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a Brony model, i figure there are some people willing to have a cool 30cm high Pinky Demon.

A little bit off topic here, but getting back to maquettes from Jurassic Park. The Jurassic Park: Origins project, the guy who actually started it, Julien Romero, laser scanned dinosaur maquettes made by an artist who made his from copies of original models. He then took the scans and modified them using 3DS Max and is now making his own Jurassic Park fan movie.

He then went on to sell his 3D models on TurboSquid.

I dont think what im doing will raise many eyebrows.

of course there wont be a problem, there's several artists who sell doom stuff already. heck romero even bought the icon of sin that syferous posted a while ago. he has continued to sell mini cacos and nothing happened. anyways good luck on your project :) i hope to one day be able to afford one of your creations

I would like to ask one simple question ;P I do think the 3d printing idea is cool and all but the most important thing is: Will we at one point see those model animated and in game?

Hiya!

s13n1 said:

And just to clarify, im primarily making these for myself.

Totally legal and fine. This is "fan art". You could show your art off on your web page. You could (probably) give 3D prints away to friends and family. Not a problem.

s13n1 said:

I'm getting a 3D printer to prototype a photography device i've designed, and as a bonus, i'm going to start printing my models.

The only Doom related models you can get are the reaper miniatures and that $500-$600 Gaming Heads thing.

I'm making what i would love to have that no one else currently makes.

If someone sees what i make and wants one, they can contact me and ill sell them one. In much the same way you can contact an artist who will make you a highly detailed Jurassic Park dinosaur maquette. But unlike those JP maquettes that are almost all made from molds taken of official JP maquettes, this work is 100% all my own.

If i was making prints of models ripped directly from id's games, then there would be obvious issues.

My models wont be uploaded to places like thingiverse or shapeways. That's again, obviously a bad move and also an invitation for people to distribute them freely.

If some people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a Brony model, i figure there are some people willing to have a cool 30cm high Pinky Demon.

A little bit off topic here, but getting back to maquettes from Jurassic Park. The Jurassic Park: Origins project, the guy who actually started it, Julien Romero, laser scanned dinosaur maquettes made by an artist who made his from copies of original models. He then took the scans and modified them using 3DS Max and is now making his own Jurassic Park fan movie.

He then went on to sell his 3D models on TurboSquid.

I dont think what im doing will raise many eyebrows.

And now we're back into "...I don't think this is going to end well..." territory.

Those JP guys? They, in all likelihood, had permission. They worked out 'deals' with the copyright owners. Also, a T-Rex is not a copyrightable "shape". Anyone can take something like a type of cactus, make a 3D model of it, and sell it. Nobody can copyright "cactus plant". A "pinky demon", "cyberdemon", or the "skull candle holder" are all unique DOOM things....and copyrighted (if not TM'ed). Thus, they don't fall into the same box as "dinosaurs", I'm sorry to say.

Many of the JP stuff you seem to be mentioning have two things going for them: first, the guys "doing it" worked on the actual movie(s) in some form. They may have specific contract stuff allowing them to sell 'their art'. The second thing is the JP:Origins project is a fan movie...meaning they aren't going to sell anything. They aren't going to charge for downloads or anything. Not without some agreement with the folks who actually own the JP movie rights. But I don't know the specifics, so I'll just leave it at that.

Here are a few links I turned up after spending only 10 or 15 minutes of searching:

Here's some basic "artistic copyrighting stuff":
http://mariabrophy.com/philosophy/when-is-it-okay-to-copy-and-sell-another’s-work-plagiarism-and-the-golden-rule.html

Another link about artists using other's Copyrighted stuff and TM stuff:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10000872396390444327204577617631823732616

Scroll down a bit to the Copyright section he has... Copying the DOOM sprite into 3D, printing, and selling it most likely falls into this:
http://cyberbeartracks.com/?p=510

Lastly, an example of what's likely to happen to you if you proceed with your idea:
http://www.cnet.com/news/print-chop-how-copyright-killed-a-3d-printed-final-fantasy-fad/

Again, if someone who is a practising solicitor who specilises in copyright and intellectual property law would like to offer their advice, it would be great.

I'd prefer all internet experts offering their 15 minutes of googling expertise to keep it to themselves.

You clearly don't read anything i write. You have it in your head that what I'm doing is wrong and you feel the need to tell me why you think it's wrong. Your speculating about what "likely" happened with JP:O and again referencing the names of materials and character from doom, when I've said numerous times I won't be advertising my work for sale, with any names or brands associating them with doom.

I've been following the JP:O project for a long time, I'm a backer of the project and have been in contact with them in the past. I know for a fact that: Julien Romero laser scanned models made by someone who has no connections to the original films production. He then took those scans, modified them in Max and is using them for his project. To help raise money for the film, he put a model for sale on TurboSquid for $500. There may be more now.

If I laser scanned the gaming heads doom model, the reaper figures, or the latest Doom 4 revanent statue and sold them, or made resin copies. Yeah, obviously issues. Same goes for extracting any art directly from a game and selling it.

I've made doom models, I'll be printing them. If someone emails me and wants me to print one for them, I'll do it for a price.

That's all it is.

There no online shopping with a catalogue of work. There's no advertising or pricing.

People visit my site or see it somewhere and like it, want it, and email me.

Done.

Hiya!

*sigh*

Here: http://boingboing.net/2012/09/14/fan-art-and-copyright-presenta.html

He is a lawyer, specifically dealing with I.P. and Copyright law. If you want the part that is most likely directly related to what you want to do...skip to about 12 minutes or so. I'd suggest watching the whole thing, even though I didn't (yet; I'm writing this first, then finishing). It's just under an hour long...but it may save you...lets just say "some legal discomfort" if iD/Zenimax come knocking.

Kontra Kommando said:

You should use this stuff for a Doom (2016) mod. You would be a god damn hero.

Damn right he would.

Some of the monsters look amazing - and certainly not cartoonish as someone else claimed.

It's good to see this continuing but with so many distractions, will any of this great content ever see the light of day in a playable fashion?

Have you thought about animations yet?