Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bcwood16

colour customisation over the top?

Been playing the beta and am enjoying aspects of it. I'm mainly interested in the single player campaign. I don't play many Muliplayer games so hard to compare, but what's with the customisation of colours?! I don't mind the unlocking of customisation the higher level you unlock (though I think Doom should all be equal and just frag). However, the colours are just so bright and some patterns look silly. It seems the higher level you get the more brighter the colour and crazy the pattern. This results in high level players boasting by saying "hey look! I'm brighter, so I'm a higher better player then you".....if you get my drift! This is Doom, not some kind of COD paint ball mod! It just feels off, some players just look like dancing clowns.

Am I over reacting or does it bother others....maybe this is just normal for MP nowadays?

To me those bright and lively colors make the game look like this:

I can understand what you are saying, they make the game look funny and more silly, and I think that the bright and lively colors on the weapons and armor don't really represent what the game is about, but should MP represent the SP campaign? Why can't they be different experiences?

A lot of MP games recently have been criticised for not having enough customisation options. Can't please everyone I guess.

doom and quake had a (although limited) armor color customization system for armors in multiplayer, so i don't see the trouble in carrying the same thing over with a slight modern touch

now gun skins might be an entirely different issue for some people but personally I sure don't mind it either

Yea I guess, SP and muliplayer are very different experiences. Sure I don't mind people expressing their look with bright colours, but seems all the colours are bright! Think I got to level 12 or something and unlocked lots of colours, but didn't want to use any at all, I'm bright co.our sort of guy, I like dark dingy colours like race green, dark orange along with gray and black.

Anyway, it was a beta so who knows what colours will be available and when.

Guess I could tone down bright colours by adding dirt and scratches

bcwood16 said:

Been playing the beta and am enjoying aspects of it. I'm mainly interested in the single player campaign. I don't play many Muliplayer games so hard to compare, but what's with the customisation of colours?! I don't mind the unlocking of customisation the higher level you unlock (though I think Doom should all be equal and just frag). However, the colours are just so bright and some patterns look silly. It seems the higher level you get the more brighter the colour and crazy the pattern. This results in high level players boasting by saying "hey look! I'm brighter, so I'm a higher better player then you".....if you get my drift! This is Doom, not some kind of COD paint ball mod! It just feels off, some players just look like dancing clowns.

Am I over reacting or does it bother others....maybe this is just normal for MP nowadays?

It just depends on ypur taste dude. If ypu want simple then make it simple, if ypu qant to make it over the top then do it. Just a matter of preference. Besides, if you look at the classics, ia there any differences?

Why the god awful bright colors for guns? Armor if the shades were turned down from ridiculous neon shades.

I don't know, I personally wasn't too interested in the character customerizations but after unlocks I found myself tweaking my armor after every other game. Watching YouTube footage I noted some players have come up with some really cool colours for weapons, this area I left as I prefer the weapon defaults.

If someone wants to look like a rainbow Barney prancing about in the distance, it just makes him that much easier of a target for me.

Honestly, the bright colors are a very bad idea and I would assume the choice of players that would rather be flashy than play a good game. The more bright and flashy you look, the easier it'll be for other players to target you. If it were me, I'd want to choose colors that allow myself to more easily blend into the environment.

for what wants to be an arena shooter i would think players who are brightly colored and pop from the environment would be a good thing. I mean this isn't a mil sim.

MetroidJunkie said:

I'd want to choose colors that allow myself to more easily blend into the environment.

Well, I think we just found our explanation.

It doesn't really factor into anything anyways, all enemy players are white in competitive modes. If I'm not mistaken the only places your colors matter are in the lobby and in coop.

Complaining spoiled kids, can developers do any good for y'all? There is nothing wrong with the customization it's the best i have ever seen, i love to customize my whole character and weapon there is nothing wrong with it.

I was gonna say, I love the thought of being able to do cool color combos - I always thought a 'base color' and 'accent color' would have been awesome in old Doom (Changing the colour of the boots, belt and helmet, for example)

Might actually be a good idea to customize your characters color to match the terrain for you to not be a big red bullseye in the map.

Are the garish colors and crazy patterns you see in the screenshots just the players choice, and you could also chose some more subtle colors, like tan and stonegrey?

Edit: nevermind, I found a video on Youtube that explained it in-depth. Pretty cool.

no, I'm fine with it. bright colors are a disadvantage to those that wear them though, I think the customizations really impressive.

Jaxxoon R said:

It doesn't really factor into anything anyways, all enemy players are white in competitive modes. If I'm not mistaken the only places your colors matter are in the lobby and in coop.

When did id ever speak of co-op that I know of? I've not heard of any if little info on this.