Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Heejyhorang

(SPOILERS) doomguy origin speculations (SPOILERS)

This post contains huge story spoilers so do not read if you don't want it spoiled (hope I'm not doing anything wrong here...).

LAST WARNING!!!

Spoiler

So we now know that doomguy in this game is actually called doomslayer and hellwalker. He is an ancient legendary warrior that leaps dimensions and just wreaks havoc on hell whenever he wants until he finally got trapped. Then I'm assuming doomslayer gets unearthed to start killing again...

So I know it's dumb to sit here and speculate but I like discussing :). Here are some of my thoughts:

-So I guess that doomslayer is not a marine this time since he is ancient.
-How does he know how to use guns? The leaked audio logs mention his sword a lot but no guns.
-At least this explains his superpowers.
-doomguy from original games must not exist in new game.
-I wonder who made the new suit/armor?
-doomslayer received powers from seraphim or heavenly beings...so he gets his powers from heaven??

Overall u think it's bad ass. What do you think??

You know that we shouldn't talk about data mined info.

Why not take this discussion to the Doooo0m leak subreddit? The (nearly) complete story is presented and discussed there, as well as the complete bestiary. Most of your questions are also answered.

Doing it here will only create unneeded work for the admins/mods.
(I feel an AirRaid incoming...)

Jellyman1303 said:

Guess that makes every single Doom WAD out there canon.

At least the classic game is cannon in this universe, and there are many easter eggs in the story regarding it.

Heejyhorang said:

This post contains huge story spoilers so do not read if you don't want it spoiled (hope I'm not doing anything wrong here...).

LAST WARNING!!!

So we now know that doomguy in this game is actually called doomslayer and hellwalker. He is an ancient legendary warrior that leaps dimensions and just wreaks havoc on hell whenever he wants until he finally got trapped. Then I'm assuming doomslayer gets unearthed to start killing again...

So I know it's dumb to sit here and speculate but I like discussing :). Here are some of my thoughts:

-So I guess that doomslayer is not a marine this time since he is ancient.
-How does he know how to use guns? The leaked audio logs mention his sword a lot but no guns.
-At least this explains his superpowers.
-doomguy from original games must not exist in new game.
-I wonder who made the new suit/armor?
-doomslayer received powers from seraphim or heavenly beings...so he gets his powers from heaven??

Overall u think it's bad ass. What do you think??

Huh?
Doomslayer? Dimension travelling? Seraphim?

BY GOLLY, QUAKE 1 HAS RETURNED!

He's always Berserk.
As a demigod, The Hellslayer (still 'you,' still nameless) adjusts into modern day society whenever he returns. He might have been Hercules once for all we know, he might have been Thor (*cough* Norman from 'Mighty Max' *cough*) but if he can kick ass with a gun and learn the skills to use them, that doesn't make him any less badass than if he stepped up to the plate and cracked a few heads. :P

God damn this could lead to an epic opening cinematic. I also like how easily this can tie in with a modern take on Quake.

RobbingSnake said:

Well this would explain how he doesn't have access to anything, forcing him to use corpses to open doors.

Could be, but there are other elements in the plot which might explain it.

What I find really funny (in a positive way) that they even managed to explain the pinata effect (dropping health besides ammo) when killing an enemy through the story. There is a LOT of tongue-in-cheek humor in the game!

FYI all that datamined info is still very old. A lot of story elements could of changed by then since it was mined from the alpha/beta. All the monsters still have their older model/colors as well.

TheWizard said:

God damn this could lead to an epic opening cinematic. I also like how easily this can tie in with a modern take on Quake.

Hmm, I guess they will rather explain it over time. Thus, it already is a major spoiler. If I piece the tidbits and how they are presented together correctly, us beeing the Doomslayer could have been a major plot twist...in four weeks, we will know more :) (and I have to say: I am absolutely hyped with the information currently available)

Personally, id rather have the doomguy be a eegular man in bad ass armor trying to survive. And if this was the case the doomguy we all knew all along was never truely human all along but rather a demigod just hunting demons for fun. I initially jad thought that he was the original doom marine who destroyed the mother demon and made hell his bitch on doom 64 and was found many years later entombed in hell and was resurrexted via mass effect 2 style, regeneration.

Oh god, please don't tell me they are going to ruin the Doom marine by making him some kind of demo-god with a complex bullshit backstory. What made the Doom marine so badass is the fact that he was just an ordinary human that had the balls to kick Satan in the face.

Marnetmar said:

And that's three more posters added to my ignore list, all in one thread.

no one cares.

tuo said:

Hmm, I guess they will rather explain it over time. Thus, it already is a major spoiler. If I piece the tidbits and how they are presented together correctly, us beeing the Doomslayer could have been a major plot twist...in four weeks, we will know more :) (and I have to say: I am absolutely hyped with the information currently available)

They don't necessarily have to explain it in a cinematic, just hint at it...somehow.

Who knows if there is even going to be one, but I'd love to see a "reverse sleeve" cinematic, then it just cuts out when he's swarmed. Should make people who don't know shit about Doom understand what they're dealing with.

As long as he is still human I really don't care.

So what part of the previous games does is canonize?

tuo said:

At least the classic game is cannon in this universe, and there are many easter eggs in the story regarding it.

At least it could imply that. Doom 64 is supposed to happen after Doom and Doom 2, the ending states that Doomguy decides to stay in Hell, so this new game could be telling us about what has been happening in Hell after that.

Xerge said:

At least it could imply that. Doom 64 is supposed to happen after Doom and Doom 2, the ending states that Doomguy decides to stay in Hell, so this new game could be telling us about what has been happening in Hell after that.

Guess we have to wait. The pieced-together information that is out there at the moment - based on an alpha and beta build - supports many different theories, while one seem more plausible then others.

Hell, they could even pull some kind of time paradoxon like Twelve Monkeys, or go full-out multi-dimensional Bioshock Infinite-ending stuff, but I doubt both, as the tone that is set in what we know is too funny/stereotypical (is that a word?) and I guess they don't take their own story too seriously, which would fit perfectly.
I guess we will get something enjoyable which will fit the bill of many devoted Doom fans and make us chuckle many times. I chuckled multiple times already reading the current information out there, and each time made me wish the release date was sooner :)

DMGUYDZ64 said:

What's a doomslayer .

MASSIVE FUCKING SPOILERS AHEAD

Spoiler

Basically, before the First Age of Ascension in Hell, the Doomslayer was an immensely powerful warrior who wore the crown of the Night Sentinels, an elite force of guardians responsible for defending the world of Argent D'Nur against the hordes of Hell. When Argent D'Nur fell and was swallowed by Hell, the Doomslayer set out on a path of destruction through Hell to seek vengeance against the Dark Lords of Hell who had wronged him. Now, this guy who so OP that he tore his way through Hell like a bloodthirsty mad lunatic and he was so savage in his rage that even Demons were afraid of him. Throughout his crusade even the Seraphim aided him in his quest and he became so powerful that he even killed a Hell Titan in combat. Eventually the Demon Priests from the Blood Temples manage to lure him into a trap a collapsed a massive structure on top of him, that was the only way his onslaught was stopped.

Some info implies that the player is some sort of avatar or reincarnation of the Doomslayer.

Wow....it almost sound like dark souls lore....Doom Souls))) I like it.
But still does it really matter after all...why we all play Doom once again?

id.dav said:

Wow....it almost sound like dark souls lore....Doom Souls))) I like it.
But still does it really matter after all...why we all play Doom once again?

Oh, I'd love me some Doom Souls :)

Spoiler

The story reads like a wonderfull adaption of what happened in classic doom 1 and 2 (agent d'nur falling (phobos/deimos), rampage through hell (e3), killing a titan (doom 2 icon of sin....wait for it...) to some old lore...I don't want to go into too much detail, but there are so many more references...even mentioning level codes (like e2m8....a crumbled tower in hell (is it before or after the events of e2m8???))...I love what they are doing. I f****** cannot wait do play the single player after all these tidbits....I cannot wait....wanna get into that holding pen.... :)

hardcore_gamer said:

Oh god, please don't tell me they are going to ruin the Doom marine by making him some kind of demo-god with a complex bullshit backstory. What made the Doom marine so badass is the fact that he was just an ordinary human that had the balls to kick Satan in the face.

Pretty much this. One of the key aspects of Doom for me, was that Doom didn't shove some nonsense 'immersion' down my throat. There was no Doom Marine, I was kicking ass and taking names. Doom 3 at least I was a normal dude, I could easily see myself in his shoes. It was relatable, and I could really focus on what the game was about. Killing Demons.

I'm going to do my best to ignore any and all story in this game. Hopefully most of these tidbits are just in audio logs or something.

pretty sure you're still a random soldier fighting for your survival this time around (albeit with power armor) and even then are still perfectly able to die, so that 'demigod' theory goes right under the bed for starters.

also friendly reminder that the story in doom 3 involved some 'ancient warrior who shot down the entirety of hell with a powerful weapon and is feared by the demons' too to an even greater extent (classic doomguy callback included), so I wouldn't single this out as weird or contrived if we were to take that into consideration.

Ironhound said:

Pretty much this. One of the key aspects of Doom for me, was that Doom didn't shove some nonsense 'immersion' down my throat. There was no Doom Marine, I was kicking ass and taking names. Doom 3 at least I was a normal dude, I could easily see myself in his shoes. It was relatable, and I could really focus on what the game was about. Killing Demons.

I'm going to do my best to ignore any and all story in this game. Hopefully most of these tidbits are just in audio logs or something.

The story IS told by audio logs, and is completely optional, and you´re still the nameless marine killing demons.

Funny thing though, this story makes Doomguy more open for personal adaptation (he is you), and I guess it makes every wad cannon.

Personally, I LOVE this interpretation of the Doomslayer.

Wah wah, someone call the whambulance, my Doom has a plot now and now I'm pouting because I'm too lazy to read and anything bigger than three paragraphs is too complex for my feeble mind.