Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
roadworx

what's the worst WAD you've ever played?

roadworx said:

no terry traps or anything from the infamous wads list. that's cheating.

What about this?

Why, the one I made, of course. It's basically a gigantic trollmap I use to troll myself with when bored.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/m-o/mia_sar1
The worst but also the greatest.

That's actually quite inspiring.

lufia2.wad from the idgames archive. No link because it's garbage.

This one is a travesty to both Doom and Lufia 2. Generally, awful .wads stick to being awful to Doom.

- No texturing whatsoever, just used DoomCAD defaults.
- Zero lighting variation, see above
- Mobs of chainguneers and SS dudes in dull arenas with no cover
- Lousy item/powerup placement removing any traces of playability form the setup.

It's not even representative of the Lufia 2 experience but I won't go into details there. Haven't checked recently to see if it's still around but if it has been removed, good riddance.

Hell Revealed. No redeeming factors besides being a "classic" and inspiring significantly better hard wads in the future. This is out of the all "good" wads with around 4 stars on idgames. With so many of those I don't have time to play the average or crappy ones.

rileymartin said:

Hell Revealed. No redeeming factors besides being a "classic" and inspiring significantly better hard wads in the future. This is out of the all "good" wads with around 4 stars on idgames. With so many of those I don't have time to play the average or crappy ones.

That's just your opinion. Hell Revealed may not be a masterpiece, especially by today's standards, but it deserved the critical acclaim and the position of being in the top 100 wads. I can name one redeeming factor: the usage of Rise of the Triad's soundtrack. Not to mention, some of the levels may be average, but they're not ugly and they're at least playable compared to most wads from 1994.

Worst wad I remembered playing was PC_Wolf. From a design standpoint, I can let it pass that pcorf and his brother were trying to emulate Wolfenstein's gameplay. However, most of them (especially the first few maps) were ridiculously easy, and the music was atrocious. Not something you'd want to hear when playing Wolfenstein or Doom.

T-Rex said:

Worst wad I remembered playing was PC_Wolf. From a design standpoint, I can let it pass that pcorf and his brother were trying to emulate Wolfenstein's gameplay. However, most of them (especially the first few maps) were ridiculously easy, and the music was atrocious. Not something you'd want to hear when playing Wolfenstein or Doom.

Haha Thanks! :D

Yes the music LOL ..... atrocious indeed. This is the result when you try to make midi files sound like ambient soundscapes, like in a factory for example. Then you play it through an OPL or SB16.

Doomkid said:

Can't believe no one has said WOW.WAD yet!

roadworx said:

no terry traps or anything from the infamous wads list. that's cheating.

pcorf said:

Haha Thanks! :D

Yes the music LOL ..... atrocious indeed. This is the result when you try to make midi files sound like ambient soundscapes, like in a factory for example. Then you play it through an OPL or SB16.

No probs! Despite my gripes with that wad, the last couple of maps were decent, for Wolfenstein-themed maps, even though you've improved greatly with Whispers of Satan Map32. I kinda figured you pretty much experimented with making midi back then since all your other music were much better.

T-Rex said:

No probs! Despite my gripes with that wad, the last couple of maps were decent, for Wolfenstein-themed maps, even though you've improved greatly with Whispers of Satan Map32. I kinda figured you pretty much experimented with making midi back then since all your other music were much better.

PC_WOLF was nothing that serious and the maps were made in 1996 or 1997 and just compiled into a map set.

You get much worse, such as wow.wad, 1337.wad, Doom Jr, Doomguy's Warzone, etc

Imback55 said:

Can I talk about 1x1box.wad being an example or is that wad disqualified?

It's so bad it was removed from IDgames, I think the OP wants to know about horrible yet manageable maps.

One man's trash is another man's treasure, as they say. Or vice versa.

Depends on the criteria. There are a lot of competently made pretty looking slaughter or slaughter-ish maps that just make me want to puke all over myself. Maybe my attention span is shot these days, but just the idea of sitting there shooting hundreds and hundreds of enemies who's cramped placement really makes no sense is to me the worst. But to somebody else it's the best.

A usual "amateur-ish" map of just standard rooms with imps etc is to me more enjoyable, so... pick your favorite acclaimed WAD that turns into a crazy slaughterfest, that's my least favorite WAD.

Not quite sure about which wad off the top of my head, but the worst single map I've played from anything is probably CC1 MAP06. Everything it does is wrong.

There's objectively worse maps out there, of course, but nothing that's rubbed me wrong on the same order of magnitude.

Speaking of bad maps, map 12 of Unholy Realms is probably the least fun I've had playing a Doom map in a long time. Everything that could possibly irritate a first time player was used there. Overwhelming monster gangbang start? Check. No good weapons to find? Yep, there's a rocket launcher well into the map but have fun getting shitscanned by Chaingunners and grabbing it infront of several Mancubi while you don't have shit. High HP snipers on elevated positions everywhere? You bet! How about switches revealing other switches on the opposite side of the map, releasing Archviles that revive everything, that reveal more switches hell knows where spawning more Archviles that revive everything? Not even complaining about the difficulty here but the sheer annoyance was F10 > Y worthy.

Not sure I've played a map thinking "This is the worst map I've ever played" ... I probably played some bad ones over the years, and maybe I just made myself forget them.

I'd want to say something of my own, because I am overly critical of myself and haven't actually finished a map since 2007.

Working a on a new one now though.

Xaser said:

Not quite sure about which wad off the top of my head, but the worst single map I've played from anything is probably CC1 MAP06. Everything it does is wrong.

There's objectively worse maps out there, of course, but nothing that's rubbed me wrong on the same order of magnitude.

Wow. This is actually putrid.

Xaser said:

Yeah, that's a terrible map, but I find even more hateful the 29th map of the same megawad. Fuckin' huge map, fuckin' long route map, fuckin' hard as hell map, fuckin' frustrating map...

In my opinion, the author of both maps (Magikal, deceased some time ago) could have done them better. MUCH better. Do not misunderstand me, I liked the concept of them, but the way he created them as a definitive work turned out in an unpleasant experience for Doom players.