Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sheridan

DOOM is getting ripped and torn by negative Steam reviews

A few hours ago the ratio of positive reviews on Steam was in the 60-something percent range, now it's down to 45% and falling. People do not like this new Doom.

FWIW, I think most of their criticisms are spot-on. Somehow I doubt that anyone truly believes the game is that bad, just very disappointing. Most people went in with exceedingly high expectations about what it should be, and now the reality of what it actually is is hitting them very hard in the face. I have to wonder how they would've felt about the game if they had been eased into the knowledge of what it was rather than leaping right into it as they did. They probably still wouldn't like it, but maybe the backlash would've been less than what it is?

Regardless. Despite the hate, I still think the game is reasonably fun. Of course the worst part is that the skill cap is exceedingly low. I don't consider myself a very skilled gamer in general but I still easily reached the top 3 by the end of 95% of the matches I played. There's no intricacy to the game, no expert techniques, nothing. Reaction times rarely factor into shoot-outs. If both teams meet head-on, the winning team is pretty much guaranteed to be the ones that A) shoot first, and B) bring an advantage of some kind, whether it be a better combination of weapons, powerups, or even just height. The slow player speed generally makes aiming pretty trivial.

My opinions aside, I'm surprised on the whole that so many people have reacted so negatively to this new Doom. I would have thought people would not be very opinionated about it, but maybe that was naive -- this is Doom, after all.

Share thoughts.

People hate it because they don't realize Doom isn't Quake.

Plus, the Steam community is a toxic cancer.

Also worth noting that a big majority of those impressions have less than 1 hour of playtime.

Most reviews i read there are very stupid, people still don't understand this isn't Quake , and some others are "still" comparing it to Halo 5, beuh ... I expected it to happen .

Shit reviews from shit people. How are these helpful to anyone? 10-20 minutes enough for a proper review? Are you kidding me?

Nerecomandat
0.2 ore înregistrate
Postat: 15 aprilie
The movement is way to slow for what is currently a multiplayer arena shooter.

Nerecomandat
0.2 ore înregistrate
No, just no!

Nerecomandat
0.2 ore înregistrate
A generic shooter riding on the DooM name.

Nerecomandat
0.7 ore înregistrate
What is wrong with a pure clean shooter?! I have lost all hope, no one knows how to make a pure shooter anymore. If ID cant do it I dont know who is left that can.

DooM_RO said:

People hate it because they don't realize Doom isn't Quake.

Elaborate please.

Old doom is ridiculously fast-paced in DM. Most of the negative reactions from the new game stem from its comparatively slow speed as well as the much hated loadouts.

EDIT: Also I think rather than scraping the Steam page for the most unhelpful negative reviews you could focus your attention on some of the actual well-constructed criticism, as well as consider the general vibe people have towards the game. That is what this thread is about.

Nerecomandat
0.8 ore înregistrate
You can't bhop, rocket jump or plasma climb.

THIS ISN'T QUAKE!

By this logic Doom 1993 and Doom 2 also suck.

sheridan said:

Elaborate please.

Old doom is ridiculously fast-paced in DM. Most of the negative reactions from the new game stem from its comparatively slow speed as well as the much hated loadouts.

Loadouts I understand but the speed is exactly the same as the new UT. What's the problem?

Fucking hell! These people don't even play an hour and have airs of authority?! They are even worse than review outlets. This is why I am grateful for YouTubers.

I'm here for the single player, not the multiplayer. Steam users are judging the whole game by the MP, which is ludicrous by definition. The complains and criticisms are basic at best:

- Catered towards consoles
- No extra settings
- Customization of weapons and armor.
- Load outs
- Unbalanced weapons
- DLC
- Doesn't play like Quake 3 or Quake Live

I would also like to add that I'm sure, PRETTY SURE, that most players on Steam only have Quake Live experience and less than 5% actually played the classic Doom in the 90s (if they have played the classics, it would have probably started in Doom 3 BFG edition).

DooM_RO said:

Loadouts I understand but the speed is exactly the same as the new UT. What's the problem?

Whether its slower or faster than UT isn't relevant because we're not talking about UT. Most people seem to agree that the game feels too slow. I'm inclined to agree, even though I've had good time, because one of the game's most fundamental mechanics -- aiming your gun at the enemy -- is pretty damn easy. This is especially the case since your opponent can never take very good advantage of skill-based mechanics like rocket-jumping (boohoo that's a Quake mechanic -- I don't care), wall-running, bunny-hopping, or anything else to improve your standing in any given scenario, either. THAT is the problem.

*****Asterisk note: I still enjoyed the game, of course.

sheridan said:

You can't take very good advantage of skill-based mechanics like rocket-jumping, wall-running, bunny-hopping, or anything else to improve your standing in any given scenario, either. THAT is the problem.

*****Asterisk note: I still enjoyed the game, of course.

But if you use that logic then Doom 2's MP also sucks.

DooM_RO said:

But if you use that logic then Doom 2's MP also sucks.

Nah, it actually doesn't. Doom2 makes up for lack of rocket-jumping by being stupidly fast and giving you access to other high-skill mechanics to avoid getting shot.

The particular mechanic used to give you an edge is not important, the point is that you can avoid getting hit in ways beyond hiding behind walls and carrying a very big gun.

sheridan said:

Nah, it actually doesn't. Doom2 makes up for lack of rocket-jumping by being stupidly fast and giving you access to other high-skill mechanics to avoid getting shot.

The particular mechanic used to give you an edge is not important, the point is that you can avoid getting hit in ways beyond hiding behind walls and carrying a very big gun.

Alright, then I agree.

TheLastOttoman said:

I'm here for the single player, not the multiplayer. Steam users are judging the whole game by the MP, which is ludicrous by definition.

I agree. It seems half of the reviews are judging the MP experience (which is admittedly not great) and the other half are judging the entire rest of the game ahead of time.

TheLastOttoman said:

The complains and criticisms are basic at best:

- Catered towards consoles
- No extra settings
- Customization of weapons and armor.
- Load outs
- Unbalanced weapons
- DLC
- Doesn't play like Quake 3 or Quake Live

Most of those are pretty serious complaints, though, however badly articulated at times.

TheLastOttoman said:

I would also like to add that I'm sure, PRETTY SURE, that most players on Steam only have Quake Live experience and less than 5% actually played the classic Doom in the 90s (if they have played the classics, it would have probably started in Doom 3 BFG edition).

I'd be curious to know how you came to this conclusion without any data about what the player demographic has been like lately. I'm inclined to agree at least that a lot of players are using Quake3 / Quake Live as a reference point, to the chagrin of a lot of people on this board. To me, though, that's not highly unreasonable. The general consensus is that there's not enough skill-based mechanics behind this game, whether it be rocket-jumping or whatever, and just because somebody happens to mention Quake3 instead of Doom doesn't make the criticism unfounded. Both Quake3 and Doom are extremely skill-based games. This new Doom is arguably not. (Though I'd like to hear an argument to the contrary)

julz_d said:

Haters gonna hate. The doom hate train is going full steam ahead as usual.

Hahahaha. Poor id.

They aren't happy with the MP because it honestly isn't anything special, at least based on what the beta has to offer. On top of that, many of these reviews are knee-jerk reactions. The open beta did just go live 3-4 hours ago, after all.

I say wait until the game officially releases next month and people judge it based on SP (which has always been DOOM's selling point) and SnapMap before you start reading too much into reviews.

SP is already confirmed to be quite different than MP. There's no weapon limit, you can move extra fast via certain upgrades, and so on and so forth.

chubz said:

They aren't happy with the MP because it honestly isn't anything special, at least based on what the beta has to offer. On top of that, many of these reviews are knee-jerk reactions. The open beta did just go live 3-4 hours ago, after all.

I say wait until the game officially releases next month and people judge it based on SP (which has always been DOOM's selling point) and SnapMap before you start reading too much into reviews.

SP is already confirmed to be quite different than MP. There's no weapon limit, you can move extra fast via certain upgrades, and so on and so forth.

I don't think the MP is anything special either but those reactions are pure hyperbole.

I read the reviews...Most of them are comparing it to halo and quake 3. I've even encountered alot of #whatthefuckisdoom hashtags.

well I guess it's id's fault for not giving us a single player demo.

If you need Quake just play Quake. Who cares about how Quake Live old and isn't popular at this moment. UT is not popular too, or Reflex. Where's all arena FPS games now?! In deepest shit! At least MOST of Quake Live community playing in Clan Arena mod on public servers, almost full of noobs - DAT HARDCORE! LoL.

NoisM said:

If you need Quake just play Quake. Who cares about how Quake Live old and isn't popular at this moment. UT is not popular too, or Reflex. Where's all arena FPS games now?! In deepest shit! At least MOST of Quake Live community playing in Clan Arena mod on public servers, almost full of noobs - DAT HARDCORE! LoL.

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking! I bet half of these people have never played Quake 3 in their life and now use this hate to justify their retarded anti-establishment rhetoric.

A Sure thing, I used to judge games by reviews they get before buying them, So i'm not surprised, Although i liked the beta and i can totally see they're so .... judgemental .

Im surprised of how many people here passionately defends a Doom MP mode made by the same guys that made the worst MPs for the COD and Halo franchises.

Funny thing is, those guys are asking for stuff that were never present In Doom, and saying "This isn't Doom" , Like ... Rocket jumping .

NoisM said:

Arena FPS died when console shooters became the norm post 2004 and most devs stopped making PC exclusives. Doom 4 will never be as fast as the older titles because it's a console game and you can't have that kind of speed and aiming precision with a controller. ID/Bethesda are not like Valve who make a game for PC and shit out some console ports that never get updated for shits and giggles, like CS:GO.

pro_zealot said:

Weapon dont feel powerful. They feel weak. They need upgrade in dmg x3 all of them.

If you're talking about the rapid-fire weapons, probably not that extreme but yeah they're pretty weak. If you're talking about the others, uh, try clicking on guys instead of ten degree to the left of them?