Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheGamePhilosophe

Why Doom's MP Really Isn't an Arena Shooter [IGN Article]

I hope for something like Enemy Territory: DOOM in the future, as a standalone or integrated into the MP. Full scale warfare with demons vs marines.

watstha said:

Totally this.
Doom needs to survive in today´s gaming world, and it needs to appeal to a larger audience, and while it borrows some things from modern Fps, it still has many classic trends in its core, plus, the game IS fun, isn´t that what matters in the end?

I hate to see this "Modern gameplay elements, therefore the game is bad" trends, when the game is trying to be much more than being exactly like the classics.

Seriously, after seeing many things that are actually in the game, I see id is really going all out on content.

What I find ridiculous is that everyone is shitting on the MP and writing doom off when the SP is apparently sticking to its roots.

LANEGRACABRA said:

I hope for something like Enemy Territory: DOOM in the future, as a standalone or integrated into the MP. Full scale warfare with demons vs marines.

Quake Wars was short lived and sold horribly well, actually. Though it was fun to play.

DecemberMan said:

So IGN is the end all be all experts on arena shooters?

Ha.. Ha...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I needed that.

No GameSpy is-- OOOOOHHHH SHIIIIIT!!!

TheGamePhilosophe said:

I would say that his point is more that Doom 2016 is an arena fps in name only. In his assessment, which I agree with, it fails to create, or even approximate, basically every single element that defines an arena fps. As a result, it plays a lot more like Halo or COD than an arena fps.

That doesn't make the game inherently bad. But id did reference arena fps gameplay a lot in the marketing for the game. And they bragged a lot about how fast the game would be. But in the context of their own work, this DOOM game is way behind other games they've made.

I can reverse their logic and argue that Doom 2016 plays more like a arena-fps than Halo or COD by citing the lack of health regen, killstreaks and big focus on weapon customization. Therefore, Doom 2016 fails to create a proper COD experience.