Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheWizard

Help me understand why people compare this to COD

I am having a very hard time understanding how this game plays anything like COD.

Doom isn't a "who sees who first" game. In COD, unless I'm really bad, if I see you before you see me, you're fucking dead. One common complaint I see about Doom is the weapons are too weak.

Let's step back for a second, if the weapons are too weak, then you know right there this isn't anything like COD. There are ammo pickups, there isn't reloading, there isn't prone, there isn't obstacles to crouch behind, there are armor pickups, there are health pickups. Holy fuck I can keep going.

I'm alright with people criticizing the game, but for fucks sake, doesn't anyone actually know what the fuck they're talking about?

Please, someone explain how the gameplay is like COD, thanks.

I don't know either to be Honest, i thought it was fine when they were comparing it to Halo 5 and Quake Live but .... COD ?

DMGUYDZ64 said:

i thought it was fine when they were comparing it to Halo 5 and Quake Live

That would have been my last thought.

Good thing they removed the repeater because that would probably only make things worse for these people, did you know that you could aim down the sights with that weapon?

I had seen a joke post compairing it to COD. It's not, Its nothing like Call of duty. If they are saying that, it may be that they're talking about it being casualised? I Haven't played enough of it yet to know.

People who associate iron sights, loadouts, and customization with Call of Duty are borderline retarded.

ChekaAgent said:

People are comparing Doom to CoD, because they're both mainstream. And those people are doing right, because all the crappy mainstream games are similar to each other, bland and boring.

So do you only play hipster games or something? Doom is "mainstream" huh? Hopefully you're joking. Surely you've more intelligence then that. if not, your opinion never mattered.

MrGlide said:

Doom is "mainstream" huh?

I've never said that.

Upd: ok, I admit, I suck at trolling.

ChekaAgent said:

I've never said that.

Upd: ok, I admit, I suck at trolling.

I thought it was funny.

Technician said:

That would have been my last thought.

It has some gameplay elements from Halo 4 and 5 though .

Because:

1. "Fans" are extremely self-entitled and believe everything that isn't 100% custom tailed for them is automatically trash.

2. Because people are stupid.

3. Because people are stupid.

loadouts/2 weapon limit
maybe hack modules are similar to perks.

those seem to be the main things people find in common. but i disagree that doom 16 is anything like cod as well.

- 2 Weapon Loadouts and impossibility of finding more weapons on the arena.
- Hack Modules (Perks), specially when compared to the Black Ops series, some of them seems ripped straight out of it.
- XP, hit markers, and damage numbers showing up everywhere. And an incessant need for the game to keep remembering you that you ARE having fun. (CONGRATULATIONS, YOU COMPLETED A CHALLENGE TO KILL TWO ENEMIES IN A ROW. I HOPE YOU ARE ENJOYING THIS GAME.)
- Slow movement.
- Unnecessary weapon customizations (and by "customization" I mean pasting an ugly adhesive texture over it) and skins that looks out of place.
- Devs working on separate DLC even before the main game is completed.
- Overall "plastic" artistic style, very similar of later CoD games.

When Black Ops 3 got a free weekend, I played it with a SMG and attachments that made hip fire more viable. Can't say that it was much more different than Doom. it's basically CoD without iron sights, sprint, and overpowered grenades. (and now even CoD has double jump).

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

- Hack Modules (Perks), specially when compared to the Black Ops series, some of them seems ripped straight out of it.
- XP, hit markers, and damage numbers showing up everywhere. And an incessant need for the game to keep remembering you that you ARE having fun. (CONGRATULATIONS, YOU COMPLETED A CHALLENGE TO KILL TWO ENEMIES IN A ROW. I HOPE YOU ARE ENJOYING THIS GAME.)
- Slow movement.
- Unnecessary weapon customizations (and by "customization" I mean pasting an ugly adhesive texture over it) and skins that looks out of place.
- Devs working on separate DLC even before the main game is completed.
- Overall "plastic" artistic style, very similar of later CoD games.

When Black Ops 3 got a free weekend, I played it with a SMG and attachments that made hip fire more viable. Can't say that it was much more different than Doom. it's basically CoD without iron sights, sprint, and overpowered grenades. (and now even CoD has double jump).

Uhhuh. And the gameplay? You know, the whole point of this fucking thread is because of posts like yours, literally nothing touching on how the game PLAYS.

TheWizard said:

Uhhuh. And the gameplay? You know, the whole point of this fucking thread is because of posts like yours, literally nothing touching on how the game PLAYS.

- Slow movement.

So these are not gameplay factors?

hardcore_gamer said:

What exactly about the movement is slow? The fact that you aren't running around 50 miles per hour doesn't make the game slow.

Actually yes, it makes. Being able to quickly zig-zag and evade enemy's fire, and being able to quickly work around obstacles and confuse enemies about your current position are key elements of Doom 2 and Quake 3 gameplay. Even the player falling speed is slow.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

So these are not gameplay factors?

Yes, these are borrowed from COD and other games, and yes these affect gameplay, the games themselves however don't play anything alike. It's like saying COD and BF play the same cause they both have iron sights, grenades, upgradable weapons etc etc.

TheWizard said:

Yes, these are borrowed from COD and other games, and yes these affect gameplay, the games themselves however don't play anything alike. It's like saying COD and BF play the same cause they both have iron sights, grenades, upgradable weapons etc etc.

Except that Battlefield doesn't have perks that allows you to see enemies from behind the walls.
Seriously, perks feels so out of place in Doom. It's like putting Titans on Counter-Strike. Being killed because the other player had an anticipated knowledge of your position is not fun at all.

BluePineapple72 said:

Saying this game is slow is pretty dumb, for example I have a bunch of clips from halo 5 and doom tht you can easily compare, doom is clearly faster

Id sold the game as "moving and killing things really really fast", and if you can't replicate strategies that can be used on Doom/Quake, it still is not fast enough. Halo always have been a slow game and is no parameter of comparison.