• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sheridan

DOOM is getting ripped and torn by negative Steam reviews

RUSH said:

We will see how it changes.

@ Almonds

Umm no actually, I am listening to you still. And I am eager to continue following official multiplayer news. The negativity must have shook them up, nice to see they are listening.

ChekaAgent said:

Wait, and there is no autobalance? Wow, that's a really high quality multiplayer.

It was kind of there and kind of not. Sometimes people would join and get sent to the team with less players, but upon seeing how stacked the teams were just left anyways, leaving the one guy to fend for himself.
At no point did the game say 'Oh shit, the teams are horribly stacked!' and automatically switch players to the other team.

to quote you

earlier on you said:

It's not that the multiplayer is bad, it's that it could have been so much more

I wasn't touching upon how you perceive the demo itself, but how you willingly fail to see the big real picture where not every feature of the multiplayer has yet been shown. This is actually the same cynical attitude I used to portray back in the Day of Doom talkback thread where I was just repeatedly slamming the game on the floor, throwing random unfounded comparisons to Halo whenever I could to basically convey how much of a failure I perceived it as being, without having even played it, let alone being aware of the leaked info regarding the multiplayer that has just been revealed, which pretty much made me go from a raging thundercunt to 'hey, this might just be actually fun once it's out'.

That aided by the fact that they at least seem to be somewhat sentient regarding negative feedback what with the FOV slider that was recently added, really help with the whole overview I currently have of the game

Also I apologize if my writing actually passed off as aggressive toward you somewhat, I actually am not all that used to writing properly when posting online and it's a habit I should probably pick up. I should also probably elaborate on the whole 'r u trolling' thing wasn't me being precisely serious.

You know, I hate to quote the Simpsons. But this quote sums up my feelings about most gamers, well at least Steam reviewers at this point.

"So you want a realistic down-to-earth show that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots?"

"And, also, you should win things by watching."

At this point the only opinion I am going to respect are the ones from Doomworld (especially old-timers and veteran mappers) and YouTubers like GggManLives and TB.

These people man. Expecting a game called Doom to be Quake.

Makazi said:

Another thing that should be mentioned is that there doesn't seem to be any way to switch teams. Several times I've ended up in matches where the teams were horribly stacked. At one point it was 8v1. Seriously.
http://puu.sh/ojO6o/185eec83eb.jpg

With a server browser people would be able to look and see "Oh, there's a bunch of open slots; oh, and look! That guy's team is stacked. If I join I can help him out!"

Browsers are also super useful for reconnecting to sessions you got kicked out of due to a crash or whatever. None of this party/matchmaking nonsense.

goddamn that's shitty.

here's hoping for a server browser or at the very least some dedicated server balancing system on release, because snorting was the very first reaction I had upon seeing that pic.

Admittedly I skipped over your initial earlier comment too fast. But I find things hard to take seriously when they look like they've been written by an eight year old kid.

Almonds said:

I wasn't touching upon how you perceive the demo itself, but how you willingly fail to see the big real picture where not every feature of the multiplayer has yet been shown. That aided by the fact that they at least seem to be somewhat sentient regarding negative feedback what with the FOV slider that was recently added, really help with the whole overview I currently have of the game

I see your point here. I like the fact that they are listening to the feedback. But it is never too early to criticize. That is what causes change, as we've seen. Why would they not show off the best strengths of the multiplayer in the open beta? What other groundbreaking features could possibly have not been shown? The core gameplay is there, and that is what people are critiquing and commenting on.

I agree 36% positive is surprisingly harsh. But at least it is prompting id and Bethesda to listen to feedback and make changes, so it has a positive effect in the long run.

RUSH said:

Admittedly I skipped over your initial earlier comment too fast. But I find things hard to take seriously when they look like they've been written by an eight year old kid.

don't blame ya.

RUSH said:

I see your point here. I like the fact that they are listening to the feedback. But it is never too early to criticize. That is what causes change, as we've seen. Why would they not show off the best strengths of the multiplayer in the open beta? What other groundbreaking features could possibly have not been shown? The core gameplay is there, and that is what people are critiquing and commenting on.

I've been literally anxious overnight rereading the entire leaked info list for literal days now, and I'm legitimately beginning to question the reason they've been pushing up the hype up for the MP for the masses, and there can only be two reasons as to why this is: they're either trying to push the most basic aspect of MP as hard as possible while keeping the best of it under wraps and saving showtime for SP to shine on its own (most likely scenario at this height), or because they're aware that the whole thing is garbage fire and they'd rather engross the living hell out of the MP for as long as they can so as to sate a part of their audience with the whole FAST PACED ARENA SHOOTER drivel as much as they can.

part of me is probably delusional about all this but I can't help but believe that ID is actually purposefully trying to get the MP out of the way as quick as possible for the real deal to be showcased.

oh, and for anyone else left wondering, there's this

Spoiler

DooM_RO said:

These people man. Expecting a game called Doom to be Quake.

Given the huuuuuuuuge design overlap between Doom and Quake, I don't think it's unreasonable in the least to use Quake / Quake3 / QuakeLive as a reference point for criticism on the new Doom.

sheridan said:

Given the huuuuuuuuge design overlap between Doom and Quake, I don't think it's unreasonable in the least to use Quake / Quake3 / QuakeLive as a reference point for criticism on the new Doom.

The people who want Doom to be exactly like Quake 3 are the same people who want it to be exactly like Doom 1993, where you can t jump and one rocket to the face kills you. Logic.

Tbh. This game was going to be a lose/lose situation.

I think id should just add in a game mode that play's like classic Doom.

No loadouts
Speed is increased
You start out with the pistol

You know, all that jazz.

DooM_RO said:

The people who want Doom to be exactly like Quake 3 are the same people who want it to be exactly like Doom 1993, where you can t jump and one rocket to the face kills you. Logic.

That doesn't address in the slightest Sheridan's point. And you're just using the same kind of stupid and baseless argument to not deal with it that you are accusing all the "retards" on Steam of using.

Anyway, your whole premise that Doom 2016 should only be reviewed in terms of Doom and not Quake is simply dumb. It doesn't hold any water as soon as you start thinking about all the things that are in the new Doom it that don't come from Doom, but are derived from Quake.

When people on Steam and elsewhere say "this is not Quake," it's not because they don't get that this game is called Doom. It's because id advertised this game as a fast-paced arena fps. And when they did that, people thought of what that means in the context of id history, and that Quake still holds the crown in that genre for many. So they thought, reasonably I would say, that the new Doom would push that work forward, building on what was great about it and making it even better.

Well, guess what. A lot of people don't feel like the new Doom is a step forward in that direction. In fact, they feel it's a huge step back. If the reactions of many are extreme, that's just a reflection of how big the disappointment is. Doom isn't just another fps franchise, and id isn't just another game studio. For a while, they were the vanguard of fps and MP. But they've fallen a long way down since then it seems.

RUSH said:

I agree 36% positive is surprisingly harsh. But at least it is prompting id and Bethesda to listen to feedback and make changes, so it has a positive effect in the long run.

On May 13, Complain About Steam Ratings(tm)

So not only does the game have latency issues and deaths seem totally random and not based on player skill, but the game completely makes shit up that never happened.

What's going on in this image? Guy kills me, and then immediately afterwards it decides to slay him because I threw an imaginary grenade.

This sort of thing happens way too often.

Trycon said:

I think id should just add in a game mode that play's like classic Doom.

No loadouts
Speed is increased
You start out with the pistol

That's actually a really good suggestion, simply make it a game mode. I dig that idea!

RUSH said:

how can you NOT see where the CoD and Halo comparisons are coming from?

Because some of us really can't. Seriously, comparisons with CoD or Halo come off as either superficial or total nonsense, and that in those rare cases when person making the comparison bothers to "explain" his stance.

Seriously guys, MP is insanely fun and satisfying. Try to enjoy it for what it is instead of comparing it whatever other game is currently in vogue.

To all the people thinking "it's beta, ID will fix it for release" don't get your hopes up. It's frequently the case with games that the so called beta is pretty much the final product, especially when it's a month from release. Don't be surprised when you get a buggy, laggy, unbalanced multiplayer on launch.

Makazi said:

So not only does the game have latency issues and deaths seem totally random and not based on player skill, but the game completely makes shit up that never happened.
http://puu.sh/ok3ec/cbeb28c5e0.jpg

What's going on in this image? Guy kills me, and then immediately afterwards it decides to slay him because I threw an imaginary grenade.

This sort of thing happens way too often.

Man aren't you the biggest whiner around here.
The guy threw a grenade and killed himself with it, that's what happened. The game awards kills to the player who last damaged the enemy, even if the enemy suicided.

DooM_RO said:

That's not logic. It's a strawman argument. Nobody wants Doom to be *exactly* like Quake3 or any other game. If you stopped being butthurt long enough to tell the difference, you might realize exactly how thousands of people have found the justification to criticize the new Doom for some of its biggest shortcomings.

Doomkid said:

That's actually a really good suggestion, simply make it a game mode. I dig that idea!

I kind of wonder why it was never an official gamemode to begin with.

DooM_RO said:

People hate it because they don't realize Doom isn't Quake.

Plus, the Steam community is a toxic cancer.

Also worth noting that a big majority of those impressions have less than 1 hour of playtime.

True. Funny how a lot of people can judge a unfinished product. Some has not even played it for 1 hour (as you mentioned above) and others are complaining because its not quake. I can understand some of the complains with dlc and the lack of a sp-campaign demo. And the loadouts. I mean, an option to turn it off or on would be great. Then people who prefer to start with only the pistol can play that mode and people that want loadouts can start with that. Same idea as turning on and off damage numbers and announcer voice. Thats great.

Doomkid said:

Exactly! Then both new players and oldschool fps fans (like myself) can enjoy the new doom how we want it. Everybody's happy.

Doomkid said:

We can make it ourselves in Snapmap.

Doom64hunter said:

Man aren't you the biggest whiner around here.
The guy threw a grenade and killed himself with it, that's what happened. The game awards kills to the player who last damaged the enemy, even if the enemy suicided.

No explosion involved; he just straight up died. Same thing happened to me when I glory killed someone and was subsequently killed by them with a rocket launcher after they were already dead.