Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigDickBzzrak

Doom Builder 2 glitching?

Hi Doomworld, I apologize in advance for you having to be my tech support now, but I'm having some problems with the aforementioned program.
Sometimes, as I work in DB (version 2.1.2 i think), my computer just freezes up, and a strange buzzing sound comes from my headphones. It completely stops reacting to anything, except for holding the power button. I could put up with it until 10 minutes ago, when I got the same thing, but combined with a BSOD. It might not be DB, but I've never had such problems outside of it. I also listen to music in Winamp 5.6-something while working, so maybe it is the one to blame?
The OS is Windows 7 32-bit.
Thanks a lot, and sorry if this is the wrong forum.

bzzrak said:

It might not be DB, but I've never had such problems outside of it. I also listen to music in Winamp 5.6-something while working, so maybe it is the one to blame?

Or maybe it's that kind of a glitch that may only occur when those 2 programs run together?

I'm on 32-bit Windows 7 and never had such an issue (but never used Winamp at the same time as Doom Builder 2). I only remember reading on this forum that a certain update of Windows 7 (or was it 10) broke Doom Builder 2, but the next update corrected it. I haven't experienced it myself because I have updates disabled.

Does the problem occur only while using two programs together? or while using DB alone?. Ive never encountered that problem and im using the same OS. I dont use winamp while using DB2 but i do use VLC. From what i infer, its probably not DB2. It might be something to do with your PC. Since its a BSOD, it might be a malware or even RAM failure. Try re-booting in safe mode. If the problem persists, its more likely to be caused by hardware failure.

Im not sure though. Moreover there are many others here who can help you better.

scifista42 said:

Or maybe it's that kind of a glitch that may only occur when those 2 programs run together?

I guess I can listen to music on my phone too :]

scifista42 said:

I'm on 32-bit Windows 7 and never had such an issue (but never used Winamp at the same time as Doom Builder 2). I only remember reading on this forum that a certain update of Windows 7 (or was it 10) broke Doom Builder 2, but the next update corrected it. I haven't experienced it myself because I have updates disabled.

It's certainly not updates, thanks

SWDude said:

Does the problem occur only while using two programs together? or while using DB alone?. Ive never encountered that problem and im using the same OS. I dont use winamp while using DB2 but i do use VLC. From what i infer, its probably not DB2. It might be something to do with your PC. Since its a BSOD, it might be a malware or even RAM failure. Try re-booting in safe mode. If the problem persists, its more likely to be caused by hardware failure.

Im not sure though. Moreover there are many others here who can help you better.

Reproducing it in safe mode might be tricky, it happens around once in 4-5 days. About malware, I'm scanning the system with Avast right now. And it's probably not faulty hardware, I have a relatively new laptop (bought last November), but I'll keep your words in mind.

To diagnose BSOD crashes it helps to disable automatic reboot after a system failure. This lets you read the displayed message and start to understand what caused it. Type sysdm.cpl in the start menu search box and hit enter. Under the advanced tab go to startup and recovery, beneath system failure ensure automatically restart is unchecked (you can also enable small memory dumps to help you analyse dumpfiles). Next time a crash happens note down the process that caused it along with the stop error. Search online to help make sense of it yourself or have someone analyse the dump for you. If you ask for help be detailed.

Have you tried GZDoom Builder? It is a much more advanced version of Doom Builder 2, I won't be surprised if it fixes some serious crashes.

You really need to post more details on your hardware (CPU, motherboard type and age, sound card, video card, version of drivers etc.) in order to get a meaningful reply, even if (actually, ESPECIALLY) it's a laptop, since those tend to have some pretty weird hardware combinations, not all of which play nice with all OSes or with 32 bits.

However, the fact that you get the crash (only?) when listening to music might be a pointer to a driver or even hardware problem.

That being said, Winamp is not maintained anymore, and we don't know if you're using any plugins for it. Can you run other "multimedia" applications (including games) without problems?

Maes said:

You really need to post more details on your hardware (CPU, motherboard type and age, sound card, video card, version of drivers etc.) in order to get a meaningful reply, even if (actually, ESPECIALLY) it's a laptop, since those tend to have some pretty weird hardware combinations, not all of which play nice with all OSes or with 32 bits.

However, the fact that you get the crash (only?) when listening to music might be a pointer to a driver or even hardware problem.

That being said, Winamp is not maintained anymore, and we don't know if you're using any plugins for it. Can you run other "multimedia" applications (including games) without problems?

I never had problems with anything else, only Winamp combined with DB. I have just deleted all plugins for Winamp i had, so we'll see (or you meant the DB ones?)

About the hardware, here's the list:
(laptop is a Lenovo G50-70)
Intel Core i3-4005U @ 1,7 GHz
4 GB RAM (dunno what frequency)
Motherboard is "Lancer 5A2 (U3E1)
Graphics is Radeon HD 8500M (drivers ver. 15.7.1)
HDD -- TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100, 930 GB
Soundcard -- really no idea, Speccy says just "Conexant SmartAudio HD"

kuchitsu said:

Have you tried GZDoom Builder? It is a much more advanced version of Doom Builder 2, I won't be surprised if it fixes some serious crashes.

Downloading it right now, we'll see!

Hi everyone, sorry to bump the thread.
I got another BSOD today, but with GZDoom Builder and VLC player.
The "technical information" part of it said:
*** STOP: 0X0000007F (0X00000008, 0X801E1000, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

------------
I pasted the error code into a search engine, it gave out a thread on some forum, about a guy having the exact same message. The cause of the problem turned out to be an incopatibility between McAfee antivirus and some other program, but I don't use either of them. Have any ideas? Thanks for your help!

I've had similar problems for awhile (freezes, mainly, not usually BSODs) and it's basically made me stop using DB2 to make maps until I get my new computer going. I think it's just a memory/hardware issue... it happens most often when I'm going around in visual mode. Wouldn't surprise me if the program is just really memory intensive or something.

Magnusblitz said:

I've had similar problems for awhile (freezes, mainly, not usually BSODs) and it's basically made me stop using DB2 to make maps until I get my new computer going. I think it's just a memory/hardware issue... it happens most often when I'm going around in visual mode. Wouldn't surprise me if the program is just really memory intensive or something.

I guess SLADE remains an option :]

bzzrak said:

Hi everyone, sorry to bump the thread.
I got another BSOD today, but with GZDoom Builder and VLC player.
The "technical information" part of it said:
*** STOP: 0X0000007F (0X00000008, 0X801E1000, 0X00000000, 0X00000000

Wasn't there the name of a driver, e.g. NV34.sys or ahci.sys before that? It might all boil down to a misbehaving driver, and a solution may involve updating or disabling it.

Of course, running a complete memory test with memtest86 from a LiveCD would also be a good idea, to rule out bad RAM.