Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
40oz

Megawad: Demos of Megawads compilation

I want to apologize in advance for this is not a project development thread or announcement as much as it is a pitch for an idea and I'm curious to hear how well it is received.

I think many of us have attempted the daunting task of creating our very own one-man megawad. Unfortunately, few of us succeed and actually complete all 30-32 levels. Its customary for a TV series to create a "pilot" episode which is a single episode used to sell the show to a network. Perhaps it might be in the mappers' interest to have a compilation of megawad "pilots" where mappers share 3-5 maps of their one-man megawad which will later be compiled into a single megawad made of mini episodes, giving them a chance to share their unfinished work anonymously with the public, and get some reviews to either motivate them to finish it or guide them into a better direction.

I'm sure players would like this idea, but I understand mappers might be shy about it despite the many benefits it may have.

Do many people have unfinished mapping projects sitting on their hard drive? Does a sort of compilation megawad that showcases previews and demos of larger projects sound like an appealing thing to get you motivated to continue working on it? Do you recommend any conditions that might help you let go of your in-progress megawad and share it with the community

Don't know about megawads but I would love to have a place where I could share maps anonymously. I think it's an interesting way to make people approach your work without expectations\prejudice\whatever. Like writers sometimes publish books under pseudonyms so that the audience would judge them on their own merit, not like "well, this is a Steven King book and that already puts me in a specific mindset".

Anonymously? So no name credit in the final compilation? I'm personally don't really like the idea from a mapper point-of-view since I don't think mappers need multiple aliases or be anonymous just because they don't want to be judged by an experimental creation. They should be confident about what they're making even if it's not they're usual style or they just want to try something new but from a player point-of-view, I would definitely want to see some unreleased materials, more Doom for me.

It's not only about confidence. For a popular mapper it's kinda boring how people already expect to like your maps and so they kinda approach them with a positive mindset. And vice versa. Remember how I released joe-ilya's map under my name and someone said that it's better than joe's stuff? That's what I'm talking about.

The anonymous part can be an option if you want to be known you can be known