Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LANEGRACABRA

Will we get a cinematic intro for DOOM?

The 2014 teaser was well made and was a nice although very short look into whats going to be in DOOM. A proper campaign intro cinematic with just a bit of back story and possibly hell get loose would set the mood perfectly. The real reason why I'm wondering is because Bethesda games do seem to use intro cinematics (I think Blur studio made the teaser). Thoughts?

EDIT: fuck me, forgot about ES games are cinematic free

Well i would think that when u make such an effort to provide a cinematic preview
for the game, there will be at least one full cinematic ingame as well. It's
a lot of work for only anticipating the game. So i got a feeling there will be
something of the sort.

It's doom, so it won't be cluttered with cutscenes and cinematics, but i can imagine
a couple when an episode or chapter is finished.

I hope so, I love cinematic intros. One awesome way to do this would have the intro play like a UAC ad recruiting workers for their Martian colony.

I'm down for an cinematic introduction for Doom. Show hell being unleashed on the Mars facility, the chaos that ensues and the arrival/awakening of the marine. Anything after should be brief just to keep the game flowing.

Of course it will have a cinematic intro at the start of the game. Which SP shooter of that scale didn't have one in the last 15 years? The only one I remember is Half-Life 2, but that was just because they took their "never leave first-person perspective" design philosophy too serious.

Guess we will find out in about, oh, 27 days.

Maybe it'll be FMV like the 3do port had planned. =D

This is not a "Bethesda game".

Bethesda are publishing it, not developing it.

How many times does this need to be said?

AirRaid said:

This is not a "Bethesda game".

Bethesda are publishing it, not developing it.

How many times does this need to be said?

Thank you.

All that publishing means is that they're in charge of marketing the game and getting it out to us. They have nothing to do with the content of the game, they can only work with what they're given.

At least, that's what I always thought publishing meant.

Like when an author gets a book published...the publisher is not in charge of the content, but they are the reason you see the book on the shelf.

TraceOfSpades said:

Thank you.

All that publishing means is that they're in charge of marketing the game and getting it out to us. They have nothing to do with the content of the game, they can only work with what they're given.

At least, that's what I always thought publishing meant.

Like when an author gets a book published...the publisher is not in charge of the content, but they are the reason you see the book on the shelf.

It really depends on the publisher, some will even just provide money and require their logo slapped on and do nothing else.

I love intros too. When I think back at old times, it was always the first impression of a game. "Did you see that intro? You have to get that game".

Or the Command & Conquer 1 installer...they just don't make these things anymore *coughcough

(besides: get off my lawn, you young whippersnappers!) *violentlyshakesfist

The publisher analogy isn't perfect because Zenimax (which is basically Bethesda management) owns id and if they don't like how Doom is turning out, they can order id to change it. In fact they already did that once, that's how "Doom 4" got canned and rebooted as the new "Doom".

On topic, a cool cinematic intro that sets up the game without wasting the player's time would be nice. I think Doom3's protracted, exploration-based intro was fine, but that was a different game. Something shorter and to the point like a quick cinematic would fit the new Doom nicely.

we don't know that for sure. all marty stratton said was that once they were midway into it they took a step back to see how it all fit, and decided it was wiser to just scrap it altogether and start anew than to redo the entire thing back up.