Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HellVain

Do you guys think an in-depth story woud be a good idea?

The original doom has very little story but it was there, after reading some minor leaks on reddit, the story seems to be more complicated yet simple at the same time. It is being told through recordings and notes left by somebody like on the system shock games. Personally I'm a story junkie so maybe the new doom might just be my thing. What about you guys?

HellVain said:

The original doom has very little story but it was there, Fter reading some minor leaks on reddit, the story seemes to be more complicated yet simple at the same time. It ia being told through eecprdings and notes left by somebody like on the system shock games. Personaly Im a story junkie so maybe the new doom might just be my thing. What about you guys?

Depends, would the in depth story not hinder the gameplay any?

There should be an in-depth story, but it shouldn't be forced in the player's face through frequently occurring cutscenes. It should be told mainly without many words through the whole imagery of the game. Extra story content is great when it's left to the player's choice to discover it. Doom 3 did that really well with emails/voicelogs and stuff like that.

LittleBurger said:

Depends, would the in depth story not hinder the gameplay any?

From what ive seen, no. You can just skip and just not read the recordings i think...like in doom 3.

HellVain said:

The original doom has very little story but it was there, Fter reading some minor leaks on reddit, the story seemes to be more complicated yet simple at the same time. It ia being told through eecprdings and notes left by somebody like on the system shock games. Personaly Im a story junkie so maybe the new doom might just be my thing. What about you guys?

Don't click if you don't wanna get (midly) spoiled (does not contain story spoilers)

Spoiler

It seems like it is not only told through recordings and notes. Most evidence points to a couple of NPCs directly addressing you and giving you orders (more or less) during the game

IMHO: little bit o' story to put everything into context is okay with me, as long as it doesn't get in the way. For example, I would love to be able to skip most parts of the first level in Doom 3, and a major part of Rage, because if you have seen it two or three times, it gets boring.
I just hope it's similar to for example System Shock, Bioshock etc. NPCs talking to you via comm, no long cutscenes or stuff like that, no stopping of the action.

tuo said:

Don't click if you don't wanna get (midly) spoiled (does not contain story spoilers)

Spoiler

It seems like it is not only told through recordings and notes. Most evidence points to a couple of NPCs directly addressing you and giving you orders (more or less) during the game

IMHO: little bit o' story to put everything into context is okay with me, as long as it doesn't get in the way. For example, I would love to be able to skip most parts of the first level in Doom 3, and a major part of Rage, because if you have seen it two or three times, it gets boring.
I just hope it's similar to for example System Shock, Bioshock etc. NPCs talking to you via comm, no long cutscenes or stuff like that, no stopping of the action.

From what i read , the player is to wake up immidiately and go into action. Thats the only thing i can say for now since theres the NDA. But im guessing it'd be something like half-life 1s NPCs

HellVain said:

From what i read , the player is to wake up immidiately and go into action. Thats the only thing i can say for now since theres the NDA. But im guessing it'd be something like half-life 1s NPCs

Sounds good then. I'm fine with story in a game, as long as it doesn't get in the way of anything (which likely won't be an issue in this game).

HellVain said:

As long as it doesn't have a similar intro level ;) I also dislike that after playing it more then three times, because you know what happens. It would be so awesome if the start of the game truly is you putting on your helmet, door opens, and off we go with demon killing.

Would also give some kind of Dark Souls vibe, where you are also completely in the dark and the story slowly unfolds and is mostly hidden, and never gets in the way at all.

Man...I can't wait till this game is released...

victorboris1 said:

No, since the original fans would complain too much about complex words and long sentences.

What's it like having a neck long enough to where you can sniff your own asshole.?

Obviously the story shouldn't be required for the most part, so I'm happy in that regard, but I'm honestly kind of disappointed that the story will be told via audio logs and diary entries. That's been done to death and it slows down the game to a crawl.

Perhaps it will end up working, since the game might be so fast-paced and "relentless" that taking breaks and reading diary entries might aid the pacing.

But with that said, I was hoping most of the story would be told within the environment, whether it's looping videos on the TV monitors, the aftermath of certain events, those hologram sequences we saw in the E3 demo, etc. That's a very fun way of learning about the world and story and you don't need to stop moving.

The people who have looked through the leaks, without spoiling anything, is it good or not?

DooM_RO said:

The people who have looked through the leaks, without spoiling anything, is it good or not?

I like the DoomGuy's story, that's all I know. Wish I didn't read it because it's actually really awesome.

DooM_RO said:

If you ask me: yes. Is there potential people don't like it: yes.

Is it absolutely over-the-top-turned-up-to-eleven: YES!

as song as I can skip cutsceans, I'm happy. In depth? It could be good, it could be bad, as long as it doesn't slow me down I'm happy. If this were the case I would love a deep or complex story, kinda like dark souls. Also it need's to NOT end the game with a cliff hanger Cough*, Rage, Cough*.

MrGlide said:

as song as I can skip cutsceans, I'm happy. In depth? It could be good, it could be bad, as long as it doesn't slow me down I'm happy. If this were the case I would love a deep or complex story, kinda like dark souls. Also it need's to NOT end the game with a cliff hanger Cough*, Rage, Cough*.

While I agree regarding Rage (I guess they didn't expect it to bomb like it did), the original Doom also ended in a cliffhanger.

Regarding cutscenes: please only use them for boss introductions, and maybe one or two at very, very important story points (but not at every discovery of something mildly important), but I hope they are mostly non-existant. Quite similar to Bloodborne or as you mentioned Dark Souls, that would be perfect.

the game should be exactly like The Order 1886, maximum story, and very little little gameplay to get in the way of it!

Doom should have an interesting story and should tell it in a similar way that FEAR told its story: through computer files and phone messages that are optional to listen too. Therefore, if you don't want to stop and listen to the story and just go on killing bad guys, then you can keep going.

Maybe that VEGA ai will have something interesting to tell us while we kill demons))

RobotJoe said:

the game should be exactly like The Order 1886, maximum story, and very little little gameplay to get in the way of it!

Nahhh....like quantum break where after each level we will watch a 20 minute TV show uncovering misteries of DoomGuy background))!!

Oul... Doesn't will the story in this game as in Fallout 4? Doomguy was putted into cryochamber and his rabbit was kidnapped.
He jumped into hell just to save his rabbit or something like that. Maybe he will looking for son. Bethesda loves family stories... Yay...

ChickenOrBeef said:

Obviously the story shouldn't be required for the most part, so I'm happy in that regard, but I'm honestly kind of disappointed that the story will be told via audio logs and diary entries. That's been done to death and it slows down the game to a crawl.

Well if it's logs and diaries, what's the problem? Just skip 'em.

TheMightyHeracross said:

Well if it's logs and diaries, what's the problem? Just skip 'em.

Just because something is optional, doesn't mean it shouldn't flow with the game. Even something like having text written on the wall in blood is more immersive then just reading another diary entry, and it's also optional.

I just think there should be effort to include as much of the story within the game world itself. Perhaps this game does that for the most part though, so we'll see.

ChickenOrBeef said:

Just because something is optional, doesn't mean it shouldn't flow with the game. Even something like having text written on the wall in blood is more immersive then just reading another diary entry, and it's also optional.

I just think there should be effort to include as much of the story within the game world itself. Perhaps this game does that for the most part though, so we'll see.

I'd say a mix of audio logs for more detailed things, and some general stories that the levels themselves can sort of tell without having to actually tell you.

they did mention once that they're aiming to provide as many story snippets as possible taking the least amount of gameplay time from the player, be it environmental clues, audio from VEGA resonating through the base as you fight, etcetera, as a means of telling the player what events took place in a specific room/level.

an instance of this is the room with the dead soldier holding the SSG where there's blood everywhere upon entering and the hand scanner room in the E3 demo.

meaning if you just wish to blaze through the level, you can just head straight for the dead body, rip the arm off, then place it in the scanner, without the echo animation happening at any point.

As long as it will not be throw in my face via unsinkable cut-scenes and long NPC dialog. I love watching environment and analyzing what have just happened there, read information from computer screens, echo holograms sounds also as good way to show some story for those who search for it.

Take the Metroid Prime approach, or Doom 3 approach I guess. Leave the crux of the story in audio logs or something that the player can ignore entirely if they so wish, forcing it on them is the fastest way to frustrate a classic fan. Tell the stories in ways that doesn't break the action.