Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lud

CustomDoom v1.7.1 FINAL

This is a crosspost from the ZDoom forums. Only part of the thread has been copied. For the full one, go to http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=51446

What this mod does:
It's basically a "make your own difficulty" kind of mod which lets you modify the following:
- Damage done!
- Damage taken!
- Movement speed!
- Health, armor, ammo regeneration!
- Jump height!
- Air control!
- Max health!
- Starting health!
- Friction!
- Permanent power-ups!
- Health and armor degeneration!
- Randomization!

The mod runs perfectly on (G)ZDoom! It may not, however, work fully Zandronum at this point. If you notice any issues with Zandro, post them please.
NOTE: For more information regarding CustomDoom on Zandronum, see the corresponding page.

No more editing MAPINFO or starting a new game when you find that UV is suddenly too easy!
Use a custom menu to change the difficulty in real-time!

How to access the menu:
- Bind the configuration menu key in the controls OR use the default keybind <o>.

Changelog said:

If it does not work, check if something else is bound to that key. If it is, unbind and restart.

Download: CustomDoom v1.7.1 - DEV BUILD REQUIRED! (ZDoom only! GZDoom 2.2.x works just fine.)

Old Versions

F.A.Q. & Extra
Spoiler

Q: What's the point of all this?
A: Well, for starters, I've found out that the stock difficulties are Sometimes too damn easy/hard and instead of creating new MAPINFO entries for every single difficulty option, you can change the difficulty dynamically while playing with immediate changes (1 second, actually.). No more restarting and losing all your progress or having to idclev and cheat to catch up.

Q: Why not add submenu instead of a console command?
A: Because adding a visible and clickable menu inside the main menu using MENUDEF screws up royally the other submenus created by other mods such as Brutal Doom, Russian Overkill, Guncaster, etc, and would require of me to make compatiblity patches. Why do all that when I can do better?

Q: Is this mod compatible with other mods?
A: Yes! Yes it is. It changes only a few player properties and doesn't replace actors so it should be compatible with pretty much everything you throw at it. Compatibility is something I take seriously, when possible.

Q: Is this multiplayer compatible?
A: Yes. It is.

Q: Will this mod ever work with Zandronum?
A: Unfortunately, I do not know. Some of the ACS functions and/or parameters are missing so until they're added, the mod will have only partial support. It generally works, with the exception of some features.

Q: Is this mod compatible with Hexen/Heretic/Strife?
A: It is.

Q: Why isn't there an option to change monster health?
A: Because changing weapon damage kinda does the same. Kinda. I'm probably wrong.

Q: Why is X not in the mod?
A: There can be two reasons for that. One is that I may have not thought of it. The other is that ACS may not be flexible enough to allow it at this point.

Q: Why didn't you do X the Y way instead of the ACS way?
A: Compatibility.

Q: My question ain't in here!
A: Then make a post.
==========
Extra notes:
- Almost all CVARs are server-side to ensure balance when playing in multiplayer.
- Blending options' CVARs are client-side.
- Notification options' CVARs are client-side.

NOTE: For changelog, credits, and license, check the original post in the ZDoom forum.

This actually sounds like a fantastic idea! I'll have to try it out some time, so I'm posting now as a sort of 'bookmark' for me.

Simply put, this is brilliant!

As a suggestion, maybe an option to switch monsters and items as well? For example replacing soul spheres with mega spheres, spectres with normal demons, that sort of thing? I think it would add a novel element to an already excellent idea.

Either way, keep it up :)

I don't think that's possible. I mean, I can replace them in DECORATE, but it won't be of much use since you'll have to restart. And dynamic replacing is out of the question. Maybe someday it will be possible, when DoomScript is out.

EDIT: Not to mention that any kind of tinkering with the actors will most likely break compatibility, which isn't really what I aim to accomplish. ;)

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Sounds great! I cannot wait for the option to adjust enemy health and attack speed.

F.A.Q. said:

A: Because changing weapon damage kinda does the same.

As for the attack speed - play on a difficulty with fastmonsters set. Currently impossible to implement.

My problem with that option is that it makes Demons move ridiculously fast, so I am looking for a mod that only increases the attack speed.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

My problem with that option is that it makes Demons move ridiculously fast, so I am looking for a mod that only increases the attack speed.

Attack speed is essentially determined by the actor's 'frame rate'. Movement is also controlled the same way. Unless I'm wrong, this mod essentially halves the frame-times making everything double speed.

Because Lud doesn't want to break compatibility, he doesn't want to replace the original actor. This means this kind of change isn't really possible.

You are right about the attack speed. Movement is controlled by the "Speed" actor property which I can change for the player (and I have added that), but haven't yet found a way to change it for the monsters.

Updated to v1.3.3. Didn't add much, just a jump multiplier.

Updated to v1.4. Added air control multiplier and permanent power-up option. The latter is kind of experimental, so please report any bugs that you may encounter.

More info in the changelog.

This almost sounds like the old D!Zone things where you could set various parameters to change the gameplay...except not nearly as shitty.

Looking forward to playing around with this.

Updated to v1.4.3. Added an option to individually toggle permanent power-ups.

My pleasure. Glad to see that people love it. :)
I also made a customisable autosaver for those who forget to autosave often. You can find it on the ZDoom forums.

Yet another update. Added option to change starting health. It only works once per level start. If you make changes during play, you'll need to either restart the level or finish it.

Mind PMing me a Mega download link that way I can, well, download it?

My internet provider isn't liking Mediafire or anything at the moment and blocks them.

Updatus Maximus! v1.5 is out. I suggest you check the changelog in the main thread cause it contains some important stuff. Because I did some CVAR optimisations and renamings, I suggest you clear the CVAR area of your .ini or generate a new one.

As for Tritnew's DL issue, you can google "Google Proxy". Not sure if it still works, but it should. I know it probably won't do much if your ISP is blocking Mediafire directly, but it's worth a shot in the dark.

Replaces DECORATE actors (Player actor) so that's a no, sorry. Anything that requires replacing actors will most likely get no'd due to severe issues with compatibility.

EDIT: Then again, you might have to be a bit more specific. It'd probably say no again, but a clarification might help judge better.

Lud said:

Added option to change starting health. It only works once per level start. If you make changes during play, you'll need to either restart the level or finish it.

Something like this, but for weapons and ammo?

Requires DECORATE replacement. Even ACS won't work cause I need to know the name of the weapon/ammo for the mod you're using. Implementing this will lead to compatibility issues so that's a no, sorry.

By the way, I'm working on v1.6 right now. You can check my last post on the ZDoom forums for more info on what's coming in the next release. Suggestions are also welcome. (Don't be upset if they get turned down. Just think of something that will work with all mods and you might see it in the next release. ;) )

I've released v1.6. Many, many new features and a complete menu redesign. For now I am going to take a break from modding, but feel free to suggest more. Feedback on the new menu is also welcome.

Fixed a crucial bug. A typo in MENUDEF screwed up the armor regeneration cap option. It works as intended now.

Updated to v1.6.2. This update is more visual than practical. It adds a bindable key to open the config menu, a "kill player" option and some menu colourisation. You need the latest dev build for this version!

Updated. Final version is out. Changelog in main post in ZDForums. Needs testing as there is an entirely new system implemented in this version.

Perhaps the last update. For the next few weeks/months, at least. I updated because I figured out how to add a feature that's been requested before and turned down as impossible/unlikely. Well, here it is. Starting health.

Lud said:

A: Because changing weapon damage kinda does the same.

wot about infighting? If I kill caco in one shot, I want the monsters to do that too.

Well...that'll need some serious RadiusGive hackery I'd rather not do right now. It might be too resource-intensive on large maps. Or so I've heard. Only other way to change monster health dynamically and outside of MAPINFO is through ACS, and even then I'm not sure exactly how. Wiki says that APROP_SpawnHealth works only on players. I don't think this'll be possible for a while, sorry.