Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pritch

Post-Millennials: Why do you play with Doom?

Soundblock said:

Someone should make a post-modern sprite-based FPS in a 2D engine.

The guys who worked on the ill-received Bombshell are working on a Build engine prequel FPS. Haven't seen a lot surfaced of that, but yeah.

Pavera said:

The guys who worked on the ill-received Bombshell are working on a Build engine prequel FPS. Haven't seen a lot surfaced of that, but yeah.

Thanks for sharing that, Might check it out some time.

janvknn said:

Keep an eye on Strafe?

http://www.strafe1996.com/

..... Strafe looks nothing like Doom or Quake aesthetically or graphic-speaking... it doesn't have the clean polished look of Doom. Or the industrial gritty look of Quake. Instead it has some voxelly looking indie-generic look to it and the graphics do not remind me of Doom or Quake..

I mean is it hard to make games on the Doom engine or Quake engine?

Is it hard to make your game look like Doom or Quake in some ways?

I mean Half-Life achieved it, (then again GoldSrc is based off the Quake engine.)

And Duke Nukem 3D kinda looked like Doom at a glance. Seriously... is it hard for sprite-based FPS to exist now-a-days?

Doom 64 still looks good IMHO.

We need a new modern-day sprite-based FPS.... that would send a revolution through the FPS industry. :)

DoomzRules said:

..... Strafe looks nothing like Doom or Quake aesthetically or graphic-speaking... it doesn't have the clean polished look of Doom. Or the industrial gritty look of Quake. Instead it has some voxelly looking indie-generic look to it and the graphics do not remind me of Doom or Quake..

The artwork doesn't really do it for me either (generic, as you said), but it's the closest thing that I know of.

I was born in '96, and I was raised in the early 2000's with a lot of older systems and games my family had lying around. Doom PSX was one of those games, along with other titles on that system (and the Genesis), so I've naturally become attracted to older or otherwise retro-esque games.

Years later I got the PC version of Doom and found myself far more invested in it than I thought I would.

DoomzRules said:

I mean is it hard to make games on the Doom engine or Quake engine?

Is it hard to make your game look like Doom or Quake in some ways?

I mean Half-Life achieved it, (then again GoldSrc is based off the Quake engine.)

And Duke Nukem 3D kinda looked like Doom at a glance. Seriously... is it hard for sprite-based FPS to exist now-a-days?

Doom 64 still looks good IMHO.

We need a new modern-day sprite-based FPS.... that would send a revolution through the FPS industry. :)

In order to achieve that Doom/Quake look, we'll need these:
-non interactable computers that show useless info.
-weird symmetry of the rooms, like hexagonal tiles, blue carpet, etc.
-pointless things, like lava, to hang around there.

Anyway, what about this Halodoom COS i heard about?

DoomzRules said:

We need a new modern-day sprite-based FPS....

Agreed. They have apparently completely went out of fashion, there seem to be practically none of them made after 2000, and I (as their fan) find it a shame.

I dream of making one myself one day as (probably just) a freetime project, including an original game engine that would be simple, fast, supporting primarily just features that matter to gameplay rather than aesthetics, flexible in ways that Doom ports will never be, and free of problems that Doom ports have due to having to be compatible with Doom. I've studied principles of software rendering, collision detection, generally efficient algorithms, and ways of actually displaying graphics on screen, and I already started some drafts, so I think all I need to do is to actually keep putting effort, time and imagination to the work.

scifista42 said:

Agreed. They have apparently completely went out of fashion, there seem to be practically none of them made after 2000, and I (as their fan) find it a shame.

I dream of making one myself one day as (probably just) a freetime project, including an original game engine that would be simple, fast, supporting primarily just features that matter to gameplay rather than aesthetics, flexible in ways that Doom ports will never be, and free of problems that Doom ports have due to having to be compatible with Doom. I've studied principles of software rendering, collision detection, generally efficient algorithms, and ways of actually displaying graphics on screen, and I already started some drafts, so I think all I need to do is to actually keep putting effort, time and imagination to the work.

Yeah. Mainly, one thing I love about sprite-based FPS games like Doom is the way that everything looks. The art-style of the first Diablo game released back in 1996 and the first Doom game really intrigue me a lot, because of the art-style that they have; it's very Gothic, very moody, dark, while at the same time has some sense of technology, and the demons are scary, but what I love the most about Doom and Diablo, is that they have satisfying death animations, with organs falling out of the demon, stuff like that you know?

That plus weapon feedback I feel is vital, as well as being able to maneuver efficiently, wall-jumping, platforming would be cool; as would be having gravity mechanics.... something like a FPS version of Mario Galaxy would be cool I'm not going to lie.

Better yet, what if someone mixed Mario Galaxy with Doom with Diablo with Minecraft.

That would make for a killer game IMHO.

scifista42 said:

It's a monumental task, and one I wish you all the best with! If you ever need feedback or a tester down the road hit me up on here. You have incredible attention to detail so it's well within your reach.

vadrig4r said:

It's a monumental task, and one I wish you all the best with! If you ever need feedback or a tester down the road hit me up on here. You have incredible attention to detail so it's well within your reach.

I'm not sure whether or not I should be a game designer...

But I always had a vision for a cross between Doom, Diablo, and Minecraft..... that would make for a killer app.

DoomzRules said:

I'm not sure whether or not I should be a game designer...

But I always had a vision for a cross between Doom, Diablo, and Minecraft..... that would make for a killer app.

That would make for a hell of a game.

vadrig4r said:

That would make for a hell of a game.

Imagine combining the gunplay of Doom, the hack and slash swords and medieval weaponry of Diablo, with the bestiary of Doom and Diablo, plus the over-the-top gore seen in both games, as well as being able to craft your own weapons, craft your own ammunition, build fortresses, cities, towns, whatever you want like in Minecraft, with the graphical style of a cross between the three...

That would be awesome.

That plus randomized dungeons and an algorithim that varies the bestiary to appear in all the colors that exist along with different stats such as HP and damage output; randomized weapons and armor?

Yup... that would sell like hotcakes... especially if it allows up to 16 people co-op and even more on PC and PS4 (hopefully, I'd aim for 64 player co-op or maybe even 128 co-op if possible.)

I first played a flash version of the first episode of Doom on Kongregate and I wanted to buy the full game but I didn't want to spend the money.

I finally bought a copy of Doom 2 when I saw the modding community and all the wads and pk3s out there.

Super Flip said:

I was born in '96, and I was raised in the early 2000's with a lot of older systems and games my family had lying around. Doom PSX was one of those games, along with other titles on that system (and the Genesis), so I've naturally become attracted to older or otherwise retro-esque games.

Years later I got the PC version of Doom and found myself far more invested in it than I thought I would.

This, I was born in '96 as well and first played Doom around the age of 9 or 10. I played the Doom 95 shareware version with a shitty gateway laptop that was on its last leg. Funny enough, the game actually made the laptop crash *permanently* and that was the end of Doom for me for awhile. I eventually got a hold of the Game-boy ports of 1 and 2 along with the Doom 3 collectors edition and enjoyed those for a few years until I transferred over to Zdoom.

I was born in '93 so I count as a millennial, but just chipping in that I've always had a lot of fondness for modding games of the late 90's/turn of the century. I used to be into RPGMaker2000, with all of those ripped tilesets and MIDI music, then moved on to bigger and better things like Half-Life.

So I didn't actually grow up with Doom (got started around 2009), but for me it captures the era of the kinds of games I grew up with and loved to study.

But I just love all the mental and creative exercise, pre-visualization and whatnot, that's enabled by working with an engine that's so easy to mod for. You fill in a sector or delete some linedefs, and all kinds of new ideas come to you. I appreciate that more than ever now, in fact, I'm probably spoiled by it.

Born in '99 here, turned 17 two weeks ago. I've been playing Doom since I was about 10 years old. I first played it on the Xbox Live Arcade, and it was great, playing through all the episodes in one night.
Then shortly after, I discovered source ports such as Skulltag/ZDaemon, WADs, and online multiplayer.

I really enjoy the art style, but also the endless modding capabilities Doom provides, and playing through all kinds of different WADs. I'm hoping the community will last for another decade or so.

I was born in 1995 but didn't get into doom until like, 2010.

I was real into Mega Man so I played 8BDM, which eventually led me to playing shareware doom and having a blast, so I bought the Doom 95 disks one year for my birthday.

One of my best birthday gifts tbh, when you're a poorfag like me can't buy games often. Really makes you appreciate the huge amounts of mods and levels for it.

I was born in 2002 and when I was around 4-6, my dad introduced to the amazing world of computer games, more specifically, math rescue. Then he showed me Doom 2 and here I am, still playing Doom. I used to always play on ultra violence with iddqd and idkfa, and since I didnt knew english at the time because im hispanic, I never understood what Doom was really about. I just knew that I had to shoot everything that moved, and thanks to my imagination, I made up a completely different history to the game.

Something I do recall that is rather odd, atleast for me, is that I remember playing E2M1 with stuff from doom 2, like, the shotgun that is in the triangle that hurts you is replaced with a super shotgun and the cacodemon that appears at the end of the level, behind the wall that lowers, was instead a hell knight, and it wasnt the psx version either, it was vanilla E2M1 with the stuff that I mentioned earlier.

Out of curiosity, what country were you living in when you got the disc with an altered e2m1? I ask because it sounds like you may have gotten one of those convincing bootlegs that modifies/mashes things together. Doom bootlegs and shovelware were almost as common as official Doom discs at one time even in the US, so I imagine it was pretty rampant everywhere else!

It's quite interesting to see that a lot of "Post-Millennials" play Doom. By 1999 Half-Life was dominating the FPS world. Let's be honest some of the best mods came from HL. I always tought that those Born after 1998 and loved fps would be fans of HL.

The difference is Doom can run on phones, is easy to mod, and has a wide range of game options.

Doomkid said:

Out of curiosity, what country were you living in when you got the disc with an altered e2m1? I ask because it sounds like you may have gotten one of those convincing bootlegs that modifies/mashes things together. Doom bootlegs and shovelware were almost as common as official Doom discs at one time even in the US, so I imagine it was pretty rampant everywhere else!

Im living in Chile, but I never got a Doom 2 disc or anything of the sort, since my dad was the one that got the game, and I doubt that it was a bootleg copy. I remember that I played using Doom 95, so it might just be that I just downloaded a wad that put Doom 1 maps in Doom 2 and changed a bunch of stuff in the levels. And if that was the case, do any wads of that type exist?