Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Will Doomworld veterans make their own review?

So now that the game is fast approaching it got me thinking. Doomworld is quite diffeent from other splinters of the community such as Reddit and even Zdoom. Doomworld is the beating heart of the game, here is the place where people have been modding for 5, 10, even 20 years. There are a lot of people who know this game inside out. A lot people people on Steam mentioned they played Doom back in the day, well we are playING and modding Doom right now!

So my question to the veterans is: What do you think of the MP Beta so far and will you review the game once it comes out? If so how will you do it? Will there be multiple reviews or will there be an effort from multiple Doomers? I remember Doom 3 had such a review.

I might throw something together if Ling wants something for the front page, but historically this site (mostly it's members) haven't been too hugely interested in the "modern" Dooms. The people who post in here are a pretty small percentage of overall DW forums traffic.

Doom '16 might be different, depending on quality. Snapmap might hold more attention for longer. I dunno.

I'll do some kind of impressions thingy after I beat the game but it'll be just my point of view. I don't really have any interest in a 'collective' review. I'm considering recording myself talk about it because I know for a fact that people will not read a wall of text anyway.

Biggest complaint: They don't use a simple server browser + chatroom system like IDE, Doom Seeker, Doom Connector or any other competent multiplayer browser. I'm really looking forward to the final version of the game itself, both SP and multiplayer.

Doomkid said:

Biggest complaint: They don't use a simple server browser + chatroom system like IDE, Doom Seeker, Doom Connector or any other competent multiplayer browser. I'm really looking forward to the final version of the game itself, both SP and multiplayer.

I meant a review that talks about everything, from SP to MP to Snapmap.

It's a Beta, chances are they just added that lobby to look for games just because you only had 2 game modes.

Full release may likely have a server browser so that you can easily join servers with your preferred game mode.

That had crossed my mind, but in some games (I'm looking at Smash 4) they released the final product with this "hope for a game" multiplayer system and it really seems to have had a negative impact on the online player count. Hopefully it's just part of the beta, though.

@DooM_RO, I honestly am not good at writing reviews but I am certain that at least several oldschool/long term Doomers will write up fairly detailed reviews.

... Myself being one of them!

I already have a beta review, and I'll retool that for the whole kit and kaboodle once it's out. I personally like the my iPlayer, though I do agree with many of the gripes Pete had about it. Nothing g I can't tweak in Snapmap, though....

I think it should be a joint effort of at least 5 prominent Doomworlders but that's just my opinion.

If I made a review after playing it. It likely wouldn't sound like pointless gushing and fan service most people want it to be. I'd get downvoted just for being honest these days lol..

Carniverous Goat said:

If I made a review after playing it. It likely wouldn't sound like pointless gushing and fan service most people want it to be. I'd get downvoted just for being honest these days lol..

How do you know? You haven't played the game yet.

Carniverous Goat said:

Something like this so it's not complete fellation of id/Bethesda like IGN(orant) or Gamespot would do.

Carniverous Goat said:

If you made up your mind about game before you even had a chance to play it, then you really shouldn't do a review.

DooM_RO said:

How do you know? You haven't played the game yet.

Because this is the "New!" id Software and Bethesda partnership. Not Santa Claus.
RAGE to me wasn't a shitty game, but then again, it wasn't what everyone hyped it up to be before it came out. They also botched a bit of Doom 3 BFG (IE: Removing server lists, leaving it all up to match making, insane ammo count). My expectations are like a kid who's been getting the same gifts every year for Christmas who would rather just have a fruit cake at this point and hope all is well in the world that day.

I want to say something, but I'm a bit worried it'll be interpreuted incorrectley, so don't rip me apart until you put some thought into what I'm trying to say:

It's something along the lines of "the spirit that's keeping the old alive is the same spirit that's destroying the new", and learning to mentally and emotionally separate oneself from the old and new series.

I think the excessive scrutiny has much to do with that, even to the development point where doom has such a strong cult following and fan base (much larger than any pc fps of today simply due to its opensource creative longevity) that no matter how hard they try, they'll never be able to balance it perfectly between old and the new crowd of gamers. And in a way, holding onto the past too closely may be causing harm for the future of the series, and already predetermined the fate of any game going forward. That the people who made it the game we remember are not the people making it today, and that they really are trying their best, but too much say and scrutiny keeps altering it into a balance of generic-ness (as not to offend anyone)

It will always be fated to be that "experience" we had from 1993, and that raised the bar so very high for this title, nothing else will ever come close. Can never "move forward" with the series because it's so embedded in the past.

That's "kind of" a shortened version of what I'm trying to detail... and that's what I'm worried will happen with the final product.

I will, but I will split it into two reviews really, one compairing it to doom 2, and one pretending doom never existed.(edit)or quake for that matter.

... On a happier note, the Revenant in this game sounds downright horrifying! Of all the DooM Revenant, 2016's will send the most chills down your spine....