Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wobbo

Risky stuff

Multiplayer will have to be set up beforehand with everybody joining in at the same time, you wont be able to have people join a game after it starts

a mod cant fix this

it will be part of quake 4 also

this could cause a lot more problems than it solves

TRue, but the new updates of the engine fixed that problem. LOL, the doom mods like zdoom and zdaemon will have an important gameplay feature that doom 3 wont have

and the original 3 quakes didnt have this issue either- Quake 4 will. The qquake community will be sooooooooo pissed off

Well if the Quake community wants Quake 3, they can just go and play some Quake 3. id feels like it's done enough for the multiplayer people already, and now it's time to tackle the singleplayer stuff again.

Screw the multiplayer issues. It's a singleplayer game I want - as long as there aren't issues starting up the sp game.

I like syncronized server joining better.. i mean.. you can talk together before the game starts.. you have games where when you enter a map.. you abselutly dont know whats happening.. and with the syncronized server joining you remove confusion.. becaus e you can talk before the game when everybody is there and everything is clear for all the players.. its much better in my opignion for the newer gamers or n00Bs

Lord FlatHead said:

now it's time to tackle the singleplayer stuff again.

Well maybe *now* it´s time for new singleplayer stuff, but when Quake4 comes out 2004 or 2005 it´s definitly time for a new Quake multiplayer game! Hell, the Unreal community will have UT2003 for multiplayer and Unreal2 for singleplayer, and the id community may stick to singleplayer and Q3 for the next 2-3 years?!

Don´t get me wrong, I´m an active Q3 player (CTF mainly) and would enjoy still playing it the next 2 years, since there are always great mods and new maps comming out. And I will also try UT2003 because it seems very promising (not so half-baked like it´s predecessor). But damn, when Q4 comes out it´s time for a "Quake 4: Arena", at the latest !

Lord FlatHead said:

Well if the Quake community wants Quake 3, they can just go and play some Quake 3. id feels like it's done enough for the multiplayer people already, and now it's time to tackle the singleplayer stuff again.

I agree, MP - been there, done that.
SP is their focus now and I can't wait to see how it will eventually turn out to be! So far, seems like it will be an AMAZING game! :)

Lord FlatHead said:

IM TALKING ABOUT QUAKE 4 READ THE DAMN POST

(and RAVEn is doing quake 4 not id)

I like the idea of single player, makes life easier at this time for all those involved. I'm sure that somehow, sonewhere there will be individuals creating a launcher, designing levels, changing just about everything in the game for their needs without re-selling it. Multiplayer or deathmtch, it'll be there somehow. I just say bring on the single player experience again, everyone has been so concerned over DM and team play that the "poor" single player has been left out. Sure games have the single player option included but in most cases it was terrible, bad AI and the such for the bots and many other reasons to numerous to name...:) Just bring on Doom III! I wanna edit it!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

HAMMER-STROKE said:

I like syncronized server joining better.. i mean.. you can talk together before the game starts.. you have games where when you enter a map.. you abselutly dont know whats happening.. and with the syncronized server joining you remove confusion.. becaus e you can talk before the game when everybody is there and everything is clear for all the players.. its much better in my opignion for the newer gamers or n00Bs

HAS THAT EVER WORKED OUT ONLINE EVER???? Ive never seen this happening online and i doubt

Was dwango any good? I honestly cant say because i didnt use it back in the day, but i WONDER WHY all the new doom ports use a client server model

Hey i like single player MORE than multi, but single player is NOT what lasts 5 years on my hard drive. Doom 1 and 2 are special cases because of the ease in building maps so there are lots of single player maps for download. If id wants to make single player THE focus, then the game better be VERY LONG (and its not) and have at LEAST as much replay value as any other id game. They better do a FANTASIC job on the single player

and these arguments about entire *genre's* of game getting ditched for whole GENERATIONs are truly idtioc. "Im tired of FPS, they should move on to RPGs" "Im sick of computer games, they should do cardboard stuff for a while" etc. especially when id isnt the only company using this engine. especially when there are people holding the opinions (like me) that quake 1 and 3 dm were and is NOT NEARLY as balanced, varied, or fun as doom

This SUCKS

Cadman said:

I like the idea of single player, makes life easier at this time for all those involved. I'm sure that somehow, sonewhere there will be individuals creating a launcher, designing levels, changing just about everything in the game for their needs without re-selling it. Multiplayer or deathmtch, it'll be there somehow.

No, the issue is hard-coded in the engine and difficult to change. most likeley it happened because of the dynamic environments and thus WAS NOT a concious decision of id to focus on SP, just a technical problem. And its getting harder and harder to mod well for games.

Xian said:

Hey i like single player MORE than multi, but single player is NOT what lasts 5 years on my hard drive. Doom 1 and 2 are special cases because of the ease in building maps so there are lots of single player maps for download. If id wants to make single player THE focus, then the game better be VERY LONG (and its not) and have at LEAST as much replay value as any other id game. They better do a FANTASIC job on the single player

Multiplayer only games don't sit long on my hard drive. Why? Because they don't have a fucking sp campaign worth spending time on. All you need is a kickass sp campaign which you play for about a month, then you take half a year's break and then you go back to the sp campaign again and it will be fun to play.

And in case you haven't noticed: Doom 3 will have multiplayer alongside the sp. Stop fucking whining about small things like more difficulties setting up a darn server and stuff - the mod community will be able to change that one day, they did with the old Doom (it took a long time but it eventually happened).

Personally, I'm more as a deathmatcher than a singlerplayer-er, and what makes original Doom was so worth it because of factors of both sp and mp are incredibly excellent. Both gameplay modes are so addicting, it was completely irresistable. Nowadays, I'd consider the price of Doom is still very much cheaper than the value of it actually should be, even though it has lasted almost a decade. Quake 1 and Quake 2 are very much worthy, too, but not as great as Doom 1 and Doom 2.

Single playing should be more interesting, if monsters spawn in randomly position in map at begining. Thats the point

Xian said:

IM TALKING ABOUT QUAKE 4 READ THE DAMN POST

(and RAVEn is doing quake 4 not id)

Don't you fucking shout at me.

The point I'm trying to make is, if id change how multiplayer works in Q4, you just know all the Q3 freaks are going to be pissed at id. However, the public doesn't own id. John Carmack, Adrian Carmack and Kevin Cloud own id. So if they want to go ahead and change how something works, they have full right to do so.

gimme good single player or gimme death! like mentioned in previous posts, co-op would be great, but if anything compromises the single player it should go. I enjoy Quake3 and UT, but i play more Doom SP then any of those games. Lord Flathead is right about Quake, hopefully Raven does SOMETHING with the multiplayer aspect in Quake4, as the community would expect no less now.