Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ModernAristocrat

Creating the Doom 4 we wanted

OK, so there's plenty of controversy about the new Doom. Without getting into arguments here about whether or not it's any good, too similar to COD etc., I wanted to create a thread where we could talk about what we can do from for those of us who are disappointed by the new release. It's safe to assume that Doom 4 as a whole is certainly going to have a great fit and finish. Those who are unhappy about the game, are more worried about some of the gameplay mechanics etc.

Now to the point: let's start a discussion about modding the code to what we (the hardcore/enthusiasts/loyalists) were hoping for. The bulk of the code should provide a lot to work with. Our work would be focused on altering the core mechanics, gameplay speed, a little work on the weapons, and maybe some level design.

Doom is a very important title, and if this game doesn't do well, there's a possibility that it's the last one we'll ever see! Look at what happened to Duke Nukem!

Is anyone interested in being a part of a project like this? I run a startup, so I don't have anywhere near the time or coding skills to do this alone.

Let's show Bethesda how Doom is supposed to be!

ModernAristocrat said:

OK, so there's plenty of controversy about the new Doom. Without getting into arguments here about whether or not it's any good, too similar to COD etc., I wanted to create a thread where we could talk about what we can do from for those of us who are disappointed by the new release. It's safe to assume that Doom 4 as a whole is certainly going to have a great fit and finish. Those who are unhappy about the game, are more worried about some of the gameplay mechanics etc.

Now to the point: let's start a discussion about modding the code to what we (the hardcore/enthusiasts/loyalists) were hoping for. The bulk of the code should provide a lot to work with. Our work would be focused on altering the core mechanics, gameplay speed, a little work on the weapons, and maybe some level design.

Doom is a very important title, and if this game doesn't do well, there's a possibility that it's the last one we'll ever see! Look at what happened to Duke Nukem!

Is anyone interested in being a part of a project like this? I run a startup, so I don't have anywhere near the time or coding skills to do this alone.

Let's show Bethesda how Doom is supposed to be!

Or you could play the classic Doom games if it doesn't do well. Simple as that, no?

HavoX said:

Or you could play the classic Doom games. Simple as that, no?

Not quite.

This isn't about instant gratification, this is about making sure that Doom, the most influential game ever created, has a continuing legacy.

Maybe the multiplayer is a huge fluke, maybe the singleplayer is still going to be the best thing since sliced bread, but if it's not, it's up to us to stand up and help the franchise.

And seriously, this isn't Mt. Everest here, its just modifying existing code. This is the same concept as Brutal Doom.

ModernAristocrat said:

This is the same concept as Brutal Doom.

End of thread.
Everyone can go home now.

The Civ said:

End of thread.
Everyone can go home now.

Shit, I left my jacket inside! Anyone has the key?

lol damn, my bad guys, I guess there aren't as many people interested in a modding project as I thought.

Welp, I hope you all at least got a few laughs out of me ;)

Thanks for the responses, I'm glad to know what you all think, keep it real guys!

Well, if they ever fuck up the game really badly ie duke nuken forever style

Maybe someone could buy the rights of the doom if they become rich enough and make a better modern doom. Probably won't happen for maybe 10- 20 years or never.

Or better yet create a spiritual successor ie yooka laylie style

At least Yooka-Laylee is shaping up to be a GOTY contender...

HavoX said:

At least Yooka-Laylee is shaping up to be a GOTY contender...

Sort of wonder if a spiritual successor to Conker's Bad Fur Day will happen next.

The one thing I can see that has a chance of pointing towards good or bad things for doom are the pinata drops themselves (mainly in how big a factor they had when molding the SP).

Indeed that's what I love about it. It gives us hope that even if Id software fucks doom up beyond all belief, that someone out there in great beyond will #makeDoomGreatAgain

Doom64guy6 said:

Indeed that's what I love about it. It gives us hope that even if Id software fucks doom up beyond all belief, that someone out there in great beyond will #makeDoomGreatAgain

I'm gonna build a wall and I'm gonna make Hell pay for it.

victorboris1 said:

I'm gonna build a wall and I'm gonna make Hell pay for it.

All you need is a small loan of a million dollars

Doom64guy6 said:

The id Software that created Doom in the '90s doesn't exist anymore.
So if that old team was restablished as the actual leader of the development, we might have already gotten satisfaction, before the release, because we know what success they did for Classic Doom.

PS-at least get Romero for level design. The guy hasn't touched Doom mapping for 20 years, and suddenly he makes one out of the blue, and now, nominating it for the Cacoward because its that good. I'm sure his creative mind can work with idStudio/SnapMap to limits, yet beyond it too.

ModernAristocrat said:

And seriously, this isn't Mt. Everest here, its just modifying existing code. This is the same concept as Brutal Doom.

These two sentences alone tell me everything you know about modding games and how much work it really takes.

As if digging through millions of codes is that easy. Thanks but no thanks. We're no game developers here, hell even gameplay mods for doom takes years to finish.

Have I missed something? Is Doom 2016 opensource? No? Thought so...

Since it isn't, modifying it surely is more complex than you think.

tuo said:

Have I missed something? Is Doom 2016 opensource? No? Thought so...

Since it isn't, modifying it surely is more complex than you think.

Which is why you are better off buying the rights to doom or creating a spiritual successor using a different engine

Unlike passed dooms this doom isn't bwing done under the supervision of John Carmack as he would always release the source code in 2-3 years time on average.

Doom64guy6 said:

Which is why you are better off buying the rights to doom or creating a spiritual successor using a different engine

Unlike passed dooms this doom isn't bwing done under the supervision of John Carmack as he would always release the source code in 2-3 years time on average.

Which hopefully is what Adrian Carmack and John Romero do :)

http://www.nightworkgames.com/

Well... none of us have truly played the final product yet. Only the alpha and the beta.... I'm sure they are fixing it as we are speaking now, and well...

The SP is going to kickass.

I have faith in Bethesda/id....

As long as this doesn't turn out to be another RAGE (man that campaign ending was so disappointing....)