Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sheridan

DOOM is getting ripped and torn by negative Steam reviews

Fucking hell, just had a quick look over at the steam forum for Doom and its even worse than before. I'm sure 90% of the retards on that forum were dropped on their heads at a young age or something. Like none of it constructive dialog. Definitely the last time I'm looking at the forum for any info.

The gist of it is doom is shit regardless of the package has to offer; everyone buy Overwatch.

How does a professional company like valve let a forum run like that I'll never know. Doesn't matter what game it is just shows the pc community up, its embarrassing.

archvile82 said:

Fucking hell, just had a quick look over at the steam forum for Doom and its even worse than before. I'm sure 90% of the retards on that forum were dropped on their heads at a young age or something. Like none of it constructive dialog. Definitely the last time I'm looking at the forum for any info.

The gist of it is doom is shit regardless of the package has to offer; everyone buy Overwatch.

How does a professional company like valve let a forum run like that I'll never know. Doesn't matter what game it is just shows the pc community up, its embarrassing.

To be honest, it wasn't really that bad at first. Not sure when it transitioned fully into how it is now. Sort of sad to see that people likely can't even use those forums to ask questions on or talk about things about Doom 4 without it just devolving into a pile of goo. Will probably be that way after the game is released and a decent time after that (anyone that goes to that forum looking for actual info to their questions would likely be better off going elsewhere).

MrGlide said:

we'll see a hardcore mode come out so calm your tits.

Source? Ive heard this rumor before but have never seen/heard it directly from id software or Bethesda. What does this "hardcore mode" entail? Or are you one of those people who implicitly suggests everything will be solvable with SnapMap despite the fact we know very little about it except it having a 4 player limit?

If you have an official source i'd love to hear it.

MrGlide said:

oh, you again, you realise this is all id 6 right? developers hired in for something aren't allowed to take chunks of other companies engine with them. Certain affinity was told what to do and they did it, simple as that. we'll see a hardcore mode come out so calm your tits.

I hope you're right.

BTW this doesn't involve chunks of engine code, but there's A LOT that they can carry over and tweak slightly.

redrage said:

Or are you one of those people who implicitly suggests everything will be solvable with SnapMap despite the fact we know very little about it except it having a 4 player limit?

When they introduced Snapmap, they showcased a "classic deathmatch experience" along with the invasion gamemode, so we know it can do that much.

MrGlide said:

oh, you again, you realise this is all id 6 right? developers hired in for something aren't allowed to take chunks of other companies engine with them. Certain affinity was told what to do and they did it, simple as that. we'll see a hardcore mode come out so calm your tits.

If id developed the multiplayer portion, I doubt the community would be in as much of an uproar over its similarities..

Glaice said:

If id developed the multiplayer portion, I doubt the community would be in as much of an uproar over its similarities..

Yeah, I'm sure there's plenty of bias just because it was C.A.

TBH I don't hate the MP, but I agree with the opinion that it doesn't feel quite right.

ModernAristocrat said:

Yeah, I'm sure there's plenty of bias just because it was C.A.

TBH I don't hate the MP, but I agree with the opinion that it doesn't feel quite right.

To be fair though, I sort of knew the mp was likely going to be something people wouldn't either hate/not really like/etc when I found out it was CA that had a hand in it. Mainly due to the hands they have had in halo/cod mp.

I actually think they could have at least gone halo level of other weapon placements in the levels (the older non-loadout halo games that is). Along with just maybe having the starting weapon being based more on which map it is (not really sure what would be good as a starting weapon aside from the pistol, maybe the HAR and combat shotgun as well). Instead of the weird sort of halfway/quarter/whatever route they went with the various games they took inspiration from.

I think it looks generic as fuck. It could be named Space Wars or whatever and I wouldn't even imagine it's a Doom game. The multiplayer is the same safe design, they got the Halo 5 MP guys to do it, that's that. Seeing the Doom marines doing the Carlson dance taunt makes me want to punch my monitor.

I have some small hopes for the SP campaign, at best it will be like Quake 4's campaign, good enough for a playthrough or two. At worst, a bro-shooter.

I believe it will not be really moddable and Snapmap will be a gimmick. I hope I'm wrong.

BluePineapple72 said:

Certain Affinity didn't work on Halo 5

Hm, yes, I was mistaken. They worked on the multiplayer of COD:Ghosts and a couple of Halo titles.

From what I hear Call of Duty: Ghosts' multiplayer wasn't even terrible, just bland and another iteration on the Modern Warfare setup; most of the game's serious flack was for its boring, unimaginative, and downright crappy campaign that the remnants of the revised and defiled Infinity Ward slapped together. But then Halo 4 was the only Halo game in the series to have loadouts (outside of specific modes in Reach and Warzone in 5) and a real bad progression system in its central multiplayer compared to the console arena shooter the rest of the series goes for, so some of Certain Affinity's problems seem to follow them where they go.

VGA said:

I think it looks generic as fuck. It could be named Space Wars or whatever and I wouldn't even imagine it's a Doom game.

To be fair, if id Software made a game called Space Wars with spacemen and a flying skeleton with rocket launchers appeared to beat up said spacemen whilst the spacemen were fighting in spooky skull blood castle land, I'd probably wonder why they remade Space Wars and why they took what was supposed to be a space combat game and filled it with undead horrors, but I know for sure I wouldn't think "What is this, Star Trek?"

ModernAristocrat said:

He claims that it is absurd to relate this to COD/Halo.

The multiplayer in this game was made by the same exact people who made -wait for it- COD and Halo. On top of that, engineers re-use code. A few small differences like going prone and the way it looks is not enough to make it functionally different.

SO WHAT?!

My main gripe with new doom is the weapon sounds, most of them are weak, not satisfying at all, except shot-gun.

ModernAristocrat said:

He claims that it is absurd to relate this to COD/Halo.

The multiplayer in this game was made by the same exact people who made -wait for it- COD and Halo.

Because it IS absurd to compare them.

Who worked on game is irrelevant, as it is the game itself and the way it plays that actually counts.

RikohZX said:

From what I hear Call of Duty: Ghosts' multiplayer wasn't even terrible, just bland and another iteration on the Modern Warfare setup; most of the game's serious flack was for its boring, unimaginative, and downright crappy campaign that the remnants of the revised and defiled Infinity Ward slapped together. But then Halo 4 was the only Halo game in the series to have loadouts (outside of specific modes in Reach and Warzone in 5) and a real bad progression system in its central multiplayer compared to the console arena shooter the rest of the series goes for, so some of Certain Affinity's problems seem to follow them where they go.

Halo 5 was shit... it made me rage, yell, scream, and I traded my Xbox in.... they have betrayed their loyal fans. No dual-wielding, shitty microtransactions bullshit, and a horrible excuse for a campaign...

So glad I got rid of my Xbox One and I'm switching over to the PS4.... At least the PS4 has Bloodborne and Dragon Quest XI.... actual interesting exclusives IMHO.

DoomzRules said:

it made me rage, yell, scream

Welcome to Bloodborne :D Here's Orphan of Kos, he'd like to meet you :)

tuo said:

Welcome to Bloodborne :D Here's Orphan of Kos, he'd like to meet you :)

:D Bloodborne is rage, yelling, and screaming in a good way! As opposed to Halo 5 which made me rage, yell, and scream because of how lacking the campaign was... (Yes I am such a Halo fan like that... I got genuinely pissed off at how lackluster the campaign was, and how you hardly got to play as Chief and instead play as some generic Spartan IV guy.)

Bloodborne sounds fun though.I want to give it a try.... I already know I'm going to try the best I can to make my character look like Alucard from Hellsing Ultimate.

Why? Well... who else is more suited to the job of cleaning out demons in a Gothic town, then Alucard from Hellsing Ultimate?

I like to go on enthusiastic strolls through the woods...

I'm going to fuck the fear turkey!

Last but not least...

HE STARTLED ME!

XDDD Alucard why did you kill Father Christmas? XDDD

Might check here if there already is a good Alucard slider setup you can start with:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodbornesliders/

PS: and yes, Bloodborne is one of the best games I ever played, and I haven't stopped playing it since it came out. Even Dark Souls 3 can't make me not play Bloodborne at least once or twice a week. Allthough not everyone will agree, but to me it's my favourite SoulsBorne game, allthough I never finished Demons Souls (must do that actually...).

PPS: those things are no demons. You will understand when you reach Old Yharnam!

tuo said:

Might check here if there already is a good Alucard slider setup you can start with:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodbornesliders/

PS: and yes, Bloodborne is one of the best games I ever played, and I haven't stopped playing it since it came out. Even Dark Souls 3 can't make me not play Bloodborne at least once or twice a week. Allthough not everyone will agree, but to me it's my favourite SoulsBorne game, allthough I never finished Demons Souls (must do that actually...).

PPS: those things are no demons. You will understand when you reach Old Yharnam!

KK seems legit. I really need to give Bloodborne and Dark Souls a try.... I'm getting a PS4 soully (see what I did there?) for Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin Edition, Bloodborne, and Dark Souls 3.

I'm also going to get Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8.... it just looks awesome. :3

archvile82 said:

Overwatch was mentioned quite a bit.. whats with that?

Also these people seem to think this is an MP only game.. like what the hell?

I know it isn't, I just don't like how Certain Affinity handled it. Get rid of the loadout system entirely, beef up weapon damage for most weapons, get rid of scopes on weapons that DO NOT NEED THEM (Pandering to quickscope CoD kids) and for crying out loud, fix the OP Revenant!

Glaice said:

I know it isn't, I just don't like how Certain Affinity handled it. Get rid of the loadout system entirely, beef up weapon damage for most weapons, get rid of scopes on weapons that DO NOT NEED THEM (Pandering to quickscope CoD kids) and for crying out loud, fix the OP Revenant!

So you are basically saying: "Change the whole multiplayer gameplay".
Loadouts and weapon damage are balanced around the maps/modes, so changing them/removing them completely would break the game.
Demon Rune is not OP, you just need to know how to deal with it, and Gauss Cannon/Powerup spawns 10 seconds after the rune, so you can go and grab it.

The problem with nerfing the Demons or Power Weapons is that you have to use them after picking them up (although I think you can drop the Power Weapon).

Therefore, the Demons and Power Weapons need to be much, much better than what you normally have. If you're going to force people to use something, it has to be damn good.

ChickenOrBeef said:

The problem with nerfing the Demons or Power Weapons is that you have to use them after picking them up (although I think you can drop the Power Weapon).

Therefore, the Demons and Power Weapons need to be much, much better than what you normally have. If you're going to force people to use something, it has to be damn good.

They can be better, but they shouldn't be so easy to use that it takes away from them as well. The gauss cannon can keep its damage if it gets a nerf to the wall hack weapon modifier it has along with requiring pin point accuracy to hit things. The demon needs some rebalancing so they aren't purely a thing for free kills (for the revenant at least, the other demons could be different).