Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
roadworx

do you use keyboard, mouse, or gamepad aiming?

i just wanted to know, because i see a lot of doom videos where they use keyboard controls.

i use mouse :)

I use mouse and keyboard but I turn off vertical aiming.

Back in the 90s/early 00's I got fairly competent using arrow keys and ALT to toggle strafing. Would not go back now however.

For Doom 64 EX, I used a PS4 controller and it was pretty fun. Wouldn't use it for the other games though.

I play with keyboard only. Not the most comfortable way to play though, but it's what I know best. Never got the hang of the mouse thing.

Mouse and keyboard, auto-aim completely off, and jumping and crouching enabled unless the WAD author prevents it. I stopped using keyboard only controls after I graduated from Duke Nukem 3D to Half-Life 1.

NoXion said:

I stopped using keyboard only controls after I graduated from Duke Nukem 3D to Half-Life 1.

Same here, Duke3D's the last FPS I remember playing with a keyboard in the 90's. As for Doom, I play mouse+keyboard with free look on and autoaim on.

Started on keyboard, graduated to mouse & keyboard, and now play with a gamepad. I play all fps games that I still like with a gamepad now. Quake, Doom, and Unreal. Even got Blood set up to play with a gamepad using joytokey and it works pretty well.

Mouse and keyboard, auto-aim off -- if I need to shoot it, I'll aim for it. However, when playing vanilla I'll happily turn off jump and crouch.

For pc I use mouse, Consoles I use controller though. I can play via keyboard just perfer mouse.

I'm a keyboarder, playing with default settings (arrow keys + Ctrl + Alt + Space) and autoaim on, but I also use W for looking up, S for looking down, C for center view, X for jump and V/B for crouch in ports that support those features, although I usually don't jump or crouch in wads where I'm not supposed to, but sometimes I look up or down to aim at flying monsters or those on high ledges or in deep pits.

I use keyboard for movement, mouse look for aiming, with auto-aim off. Sometimes it feels like cheating, especially with the original doom 1 or 2 wads, as they didn't account for mouse look. But I just can't stand not being able to look around, and I figure by turning auto-aim off it evens out. There's no easy shots, I have to do the work myself.

The first time I realized auto-aim sucks is with the zombies in Half-Life. It takes five pistol shots to the body to take down the zombie, then two more to kill the head-crab. If you have auto aim on, it will always hit the body, even if you're aiming at the head. So you've wasted seven rounds taking down one zombie. Once you turn auto-aim off, shoot the head/head-crab and in three rounds you're done.

My brother on the other hand has never played an FPS beyond Quake, once Quake 2 introduced mouse look he just gave up. I've never understood why, but to each their own.

I use keyboard (WASD movement) and mouse (without vertical aiming). I tried to play using only keyboard, but it's annoying and slows the gameplay.

Generally I play with keyboard and mouse. But sometimes I'll just use the keyboard just for old times sake. I feel comfortable with both setups.

Mouse & keyboard, freelook on, autoaim off, jump off and crouch on. Also, who uses gamepad? It's much slower in general.

Typically it's WASD + mouse, with acceleration turned completely off and vertical sensitivty zeroed.

I've recently acquired a Steam Controller, though, and I'll be using it at least for the times when I want full mouselook.

Deafault keyboard only, no jump, no crouch, autoaim on. Left hand for shift+alt, right hand for cursor keys+ctrl. Funnily enough, I can't remember which thumb I use for space off the top of my head. Never thought abot that one outside of playing, where I do it automatically... Weird.
It just doesn't feel right to me to play these old FPS games with mouse, especially Doom.

Only go Mouse for Brutal Doom and any mod that locks Vertical Auto-Aim.. For everything else I used Keyboard.

I've been playing lots of Complex-Doom recently though and noticed I occasionally swtich to Mouse for precision. then go back to keyboard.

I'm just comfortable with the whole keyboard thing.

FORGOT TO MENTION:

My keyboard set up is WASD for movement/strage with cursor keys for aiming left and right, ctrl for shoot, alt for secondary, e for use, space for jump, c for crouch.

Usually I can transition between classic keyboard-only and WASD+mouse on source ports. Currently warming up to the WASD+mouse on vanilla doom.

A hybrid, keyboard for moving, shooting, use, strafing and other functions and touch-pad only for aiming, my wrists never hurt while playing with touchpad.
I can play lots of hours with this setup and still not hurting my wrists.
And I feel very comfortable with the setup.

Keyboard + mouse, free-look, autoaim. I rarely look up or down, I don't even know why I use freelook.

Koutana said:

Keyboard + mouse, free-look, autoaim. I rarely look up or down, I don't even know why I use freelook.

You know why you use free-look. It's for precision chaingun sniping of far away, elevated hitscanners, as well as rocket sniping those gosh darn Archvile, Revenant and Mancubi turrets.

before this year i primarily used keyboard only. i now mostly use keyboard and mouse, but without free look (unless its requiered by a mod or something)

I stick to my trusty mouse. Even though I can be a little shaky at times, I still like it. I may try playing with a gamepad in the future, but right now I'll just stick to mouse aiming.