Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frisky

Is DOOM 4 worth $60?

So, as everybody knows, every new game has to be released for over $50 these days. I'm wondering if that much money is worth the new DOOM Open Beta. I want to get it because I know any Doom game is good and the negative reviews are obviously the wrongest shit ever.
Is it worth it? If so, I'll be saving some money (or try to) to get it.

Yeah we can't say. Based on the Beta, would you pay $60 for a strict multiplayer game with only 2 modes and 2 maps? Of course not, but that's not what you're paying for.

If you're experienced with purchasing and playing games, the concept of Singleplayer, Multiplayer and Editor all in one package for $60 is good value, assuming the quality meets industry triple A standards or above.

I dunno, is a beer worth 4.50? Dinner at a restaurant for $12.99? A movie theater ticket for $15? A new album for $9.99 on iTunes?

Videogames have never been cheaper than they are today. If $60 for ~20+ hours of entertainment is a good deal for you, then, yes, it's worth $60.

You are already assuming that the game is good, so why are you asking then?

I am pretty sure way more concerned than you and i already ordered it. I hope that i will get a great SP part and later a few good maps from snapmap. I wont make my decission to buy or not to buy depending on any reviews (no matter if they are good or bad). Just give it a try.

Maybe the 27. April stream will be helpful for you. There you will see some more from the SP part.

Depends. I'd have to wait for reviews before I'd make my decision.

Sure, there'll always be a chance of a discount on Doom (2016) once it is released, but I only have a $20 Steam Wallet card that hasn't been used (I might save it for something else), and I'd have to get more.

This just dropped in my mailbox...just come to Germany, Doom's dead cheap here, and it's available since two years ;)

(PS: that obviously must be a missprint. It's the current ad from one of germanys biggest electronic marts)

tuo said:

This just dropped in my mailbox...just come to Germany, Doom's dead cheap here, and it's available since two years ;)

http://i.imgur.com/7bujLZb.jpg

(PS: that obviously must be a missprint. It's the current ad from one of germanys biggest electronic marts)

MediaMart? It's a worldwide known electronics chain. Even Uncharted 4 is available at €5,- since two years!

TheLastOttoman said:

MediaMart? It's a worldwide known electronics chain. Even Uncharted 4 is available at €5,- since two years!

Jup, it's Media Mart (or Media Markt in Germany).

I guess the poor guy who is responsible for this dtp job has to explain a few things to his boss :( (or the guy who greenlit it)

Scuba Steve said:

Videogames have never been cheaper than they are today.

nice joke there

oh you mean the keys? yeah they're kinda cheap, but I usually don't buy them

Deatheye said:

the 5€ are just the prepayment, you need to pay the rest when you get the game

That's borderline false advertising, if you ask me. But it would fit the bill of Media Markt, along with the wrong release date ;)

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation (german)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation (english)

The growth of the target audience (due to the branche getting bigger) is basically countered by the growth of production cost. Indeed, growth of production cost is larger than growth in target audience. Regarding what I paid in the past for a N64 games (which where ridicously priced) in reference to what I get now for basically the same value of money in you factor in inflation...I tend to agree that games nowadays are not more expensive than they used to be, quite the contrary.

I agree regarding the DLC though, there are many black sheeps (especially with AAA-Titles) in the market.

tuo, do you mind changing the link of that Wikipedia article to the English version? Not everyone here can read German.

EDIT: actually, disregard that. I looked up the English version and it turned up a different article. My apologies.

HavoX said:

tuo, do you mind changing the link of that Wikipedia article to the English version? Not everyone here can read German.

EDIT: actually, disregard that. I looked up the English version and it turned up a different article. My apologies.

meh, just did it :)

We get the campaign that will last 13+ hours on normal, we get snapmap and multiplayer with a level up system so yes it will be worth 60 but i preordered the collector's edition.

Of course it is, if you can't manage $60 for a game you want then go get a job or learn to balance your budget better, seriously.

Edit: this obviously doesn't apply to those too young to work, but what the hell.

Scuba Steve said:

If $60 for ~20+ hours of entertainment

I'm sure that singleplayer longer than 6-10 hours will not take.

Azuruish said:

I'm sure that singleplayer longer than 6-10 hours will not take.

Allthough I am not quite sure I understand that sentence fully, id stated 13 hours for the single player campaign, for a blind, default difficulty run. Of course: YMMV

If the new Doom will include higher monster count and possibly additional inter-connected closet traps based on playing, or even just swapping weaker monsters for stronger when playing on higher difficulty you could argue campaign will provide you for more entertainment than 10 hours. And of course, Snapmap can range from 0 hours to unlimited.

tuo said:

http://i.imgur.com/7bujLZb.jpg

I thought video games released for the German market were heavily edited for content, especially violence?