Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gemini09

"DOOM & DOOM II" (Alpha 1) released

Hah, I thought this was actual prototypes of Doom and Doom 2 when I read the title! :)

I thought this was a mod that linked Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 together, like what PSX Doom did.

Misleading wad name, it's best you change it to something else before you get more criticism about it.

Some of those screens look pretty awesome and atmospheric. Gonna have to check these maps out :)

I guess people don't want to download 150 megabytes? Not many comments here. Anyway, I played Map01 and it was quite cool. I really like the tan colored scheme, reminds me of Bespin levels from Jedi Knight 2. Some fun fights with plenty of room to move. New chaingun-like weapon is pleasant to use and the boss fights surprised me with the sudden increase of difficulty.

The very dark areas annoyed me a bit though, I think this is too much maybe? Not being able to see anything just isn't fun for me and it looks weird too. Also I'm not sure what happened at the end, but that spider mastermind was stuck and made the fight a lot easier.

Cool level overall, if a little too generous with medikits and stimpacks later on (I played on UV).

I wanted to show a demo of me playing but I guess GZDoom actualy doesn't support demos? I can't even play it back.

Hi, I appreciate the feedback.

I had to compromise a little bit on the brightness levels. I ended up with it being okay if you play in a dark room and preferably in the evening or night. I agree that it's almost impossible to see if the room is bright and it's daylight outside, but I really wanted some darker areas for the contrast, and as mentioned it works just fine in a dark room, but I do fully agree and will aim to rectify this the next time around as I plan to make both maps from scratch later on.

That said, you can adjust "brightness type" via Options; Display options; OpenGL options; Preferences; Sector light mode -- the GZDOOM default is "Dark" and you have a good handful of alternatives to make it brighter here. Personally I might suggest "Doom" as that looks just a little brighter without practically cancelling out every lighting variation.

I ought to perhaps point out that regretfully, light levels between 112-96 look virtually the same, and 96-0 also looks virtually the same, making the brightness spectrum pretty limited for dark areas.

Concerning medikits, I agree they're pretty generous on UV and might take away a few as I plan another release in a couple of weeks with a few minor tweaks depending on the feedback.

I don't know why the Mastermind at the end gets stuck and I'm not sure if it happens 100% of the time - I don't think so as I playtested that part years ago, but I've noticed it too and it was a bit of an irritating surprise.

As for your demo, you've probably recorded it in a slightly older version of GZDOOM - the moment you update and even if it's just the next day, the demo compatibility will unfortunately be broken. If you find which version you used to record, I would love to see it.

Well, here it is, recorded in the exe that comes with the wad I think (g2.2pre-1245-gd0b30f3). Maybe you'll be able to watch it...

Indeed, I played with the "Dark" mode and the sun was shining. I'll try the other light mode settings.

Hey! Thanks a lot.

It wasn't the .INI file - I tried playing the demo with a "gore mod" and that's what caused the desync - sorry for the trouble. I'm going to watch it now.

I hope you enjoy the next map! It's much more difficult but hopefully a fun challenge.

Thanks again for the demo.

@Kuchitsu, I've watched your demo multiple times now and with great enjoyment.

First I want to confess to how much it amused me almost to no end the way you were bumping up to and trying to open up "random" walls -- I haven't included any secrets like that but I might include just one or two throughout the 7-level set just as a nod to the old days.

Watching you, it gave me a lot of insight on how some might play the map, and it will be valuable like gold in the next alpha-release. I really appreciate that.

But, what kind of a savage are you? Towards the end, you just plasma-rifled your friendly marine --- do you have no heart or conscience?

I took note of the way you "shrugged the mouse in frustration" the second and third time you fell down the pits towards the end --- but, they will remain!

Write me a reply if you will! I enjoyed the demo and learned a lot from it.