Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frisky

Doomsday CP [Community Project]

Doomsday CP (A.K.A Project Doomsday or Doomsday Community Project) is an 18-map community project WAD made specifically for ZDoom (I am aware that there is a source port called Doomsday, you don't have to tell me). Doomsday will feature 8 levels taking place on Phobos and 8 levels on Deimos and 2 levels being whatever-land.
The contributors must select a number from 1 to 16 and will be given a theme to base their map on.

Rules
Please make the start of your map the same as the exit of the previous map. So check with whoever made the map before you so you can get it right.
Do not spam enemies (obviously).
The maps cannot have Cyberdemons, Spider Masterminds, Archviles, or Pain Elementals.

Map & Contributor List

Spoiler

Phobos
01 - Frisky
02 - N/A
03 - N/A
04 - N/A
05 - N/A
06 - N/A
07 - N/A
08 - N/A
Deimos
09 - N/A
10 - N/A
11 - N/A
12 - N/A
13 - N/A
14 - N/A
15 - N/A
16 - N/A
Secrets
31 - Frisky
32 - Frisky

That's pretty much all for now. If you need more info on the project, feel free to PM me at any time.

Hmm.. If I were you, I'd wait till I become atleast Senior Member to start community projects. The things is: people now probably don't consider you experienced enough to do such projects, because it's.. great responsibility, I guess..

Well, that's just my opinion

I don't think is a good idea to start this as you don't have anything to show yet. Maybe do a couple of maps before so you can show what you can actually do.
Also you'd better to define more things imo.

ChekaAgent said:

Hmm.. If I were you, I'd wait till I become atleast Senior Member to start community projects. The things is: people now probably don't consider you experienced enough to do such projects, because it's.. great responsibility, I guess..

Well, that's just my opinion

Seriously we really don't need another unfinished community project floating around when we already have like 12,908 of those. Every community project leader I've ever talked to (even successful ones) have lamented about how frustrating and hard it is to lead 32 maps to completion, playtesting, and finalization.

Even really cool project ideas like Mutiny are creeping towards completion just because of the amount of energy that needs to be devoted by EVERY person involved to turn out a quality mapset. And Mutiny isn't even shooting for 32 maps!

I'm sorry Frisky, I don't mean to single you out. I'm not ranting at you, really, as I understand the temptation to turn a half-baked idea into a project that everyone laughs and works on together. The problem is that the initial enthusiasm for these things almost ALWAYS wanes into nothingness, and you're left banging your head trying to wrangle all these people back to finally finish the damn thing 2.5 years later.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...

Frisky, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

I think the problem is that people come with one idea, and with this one idea they want to make a 32-level megawad.

On the contrary, people should come out with 32 new ideas, and with all of them try to create one single level.

Angry Saint said:

I think the problem is that people come with one idea, and with this one idea they want to make a 32-level megawad.

On the contrary, people should come out with 32 new ideas, and with all of them try to create one single level.

Quite often a project like this is just one guy coming up with a vague idea saying: "plz make this for me".

It doesn't work that way. Ideally a community project should be about like minded people coming together, sharing ideas and inspiring each other. And even then it's hard as balls to stay motivated and to keep moving forward towards the end goal.

No Cyberdemons, Spider Masterminds, or Archviles? No Slaughtermaps? What a boring stuff.
Ok Archviles... I hate them but no bosses? It's stupid. Plus no much info what kind of texture to use, style of map or something else.
Creating 32-megawad it's like digging 2 miles hole by shovel... Lazyness doesn't allow you to do it.
Enthusiasm and ambitions it's cool, it's where everything begins but how long your ambitions lives?

I like if map level nightmare, where you will see many fireballs and you need survive! Need more monster lavine, more fire and more nightmare!!!

Here is video for Idea, its look cool with 3208 imps. I would give you +like, if you create those maps ;)

Frisky, before you start asking for volunteers for your new mega-cool-and-whatnot community megawad project, make sure you have something to show first (previous WADs, experience with project management, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of awesome community megawad project ideas that fell apart at the seams.â„¢

yaqxsw said:

I like if map level nightmare, where you will see many fireballs and you need survive! Need more monster lavine, more fire and more nightmare!!!

nah

Curious...

Frisky said:

Rules
Please make the start of your map the same as the exit of the previous map. So check with whoever made the map before you so you can get it right.

Fun fact: D2INO-RDC have the same goal. Still in progress probably.

Frisky said:

The maps cannot have Cyberdemons, Spider Masterminds, or Archviles.

wut? Nonono, that's wrong kido, they should be! At least on last maps as puppeteers of that invasion.

Without very specific rules or a singular goal, id recommend setting the sights lower, aiming for maybe 6 maps (3 phobos 3 deimos) than 32 unless you plan on jumping ship as project leader or being stuck with a project that will never get finished.

This is just doom's first two episodes merged with doom2's SSG and new monsters, that's a pretty lame idea to be honest.

Changed the level count to 18 instead of 32 because of feedback. Also added Pain Elementals to the "do not put it in your map" list.

joe-ilya said:

This is just doom's first two episodes merged with doom2's SSG and new monsters, that's a pretty lame idea to be honest.

That's honestly what I was aiming for.

CWolfRu said:

wut? Nonono, that's wrong kido, they should be! At least on last maps as puppeteers of that invasion.

No.

What limitations are next?

Maximum of ten revenants per map and two revenants per room.
SSG can be handed out halfway through the map at the earliest.
At least 500 HP worth of hitscanners must be placed in distant sniping positions in every map, preferably chaingunners.
No teleportation traps and monster pop-ups.
At least one encounter per map must be a closet trap sprung in pitch black.

Can we ditch revenants and chaingunners while we're at it? Those enemies "rustle" my so called "jimmies".

I would really like to have it on record that Jimmy hates a specific monster so I could go around gleefully announcing that said monster rustles Jimmy.

Title changed because I'm actually going to make a separate WAD called Doomsday with most map names making it from the community project version.

Du Mhan Yhu said:

No monsters or weapons allowed in this project.

Add environmental traps, hazardous environments, platforming and underwater sections and you have something unique and interesting.

Frisky said:

Title changed because I'm actually going to make a separate WAD called Doomsday with most map names making it from the community project version.

Not to be rude, but I don't think this needs to be a community project in the first place. Just work on your own project and show it to us when you're almost done.

Frisky said:

Changed the level count to 18 instead of 32 because of feedback.

What about addressing the core of the problem, that you basically demand others to work for you, but not showing/proving your own mapping capability, which would possibly (if they find it good/interesting) give people a reason to want to work with you? That's the message of the "newproject" tag too - thousands of projects had been started this way and nothing coming out of them. Anyone can say they're starting a new project, but few ones finish it to the end.

Why not limit this CP to be 10 maps while at it? 5 phobos maps and 5 deimos maps is a reasonable amount for a CP like this. I would also like to see what you can come up with in your map.
If it'll be interesting enough for me, I'll make a map.

Frisky m'boy, it has been proven that starting off small (making a single map and learning more about mapping as you go) is a better solution for newcomers rather than doing something that is more complicated (a megawad, community project, etc.).