Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koutana

So, what's the difference between the wiki and the wikia?

I just wondered, there seems to be an odd favoritism for doomwiki, and a disliking for doom.wikia. What separates them?

Even if they were equal in every other respect -- which they are certainly not -- DoomWiki would be superior to the wikia due to the latter's annoying-as-fuck combination of the "You're leaving" window and ass-dragging on every external link. Long ago, in the days of yore, when I was a green lad who had yet to learn of the Wikia's transgressions, I built up a lot of disdain for it solely due to that, and wished whoever was responsible would have their nostrils intimately familiarized with the buttcrack of a particularly unhygienic mancubus.

rdwpa said:

Even if they were equal in every other respect -- which they are certainly not -- DoomWiki would be superior to the wikia due to the latter's annoying-as-fuck combination of the "You're leaving" window and ass-dragging on every external link. Long ago, in the days of yore, when I was a green lad who had yet to learn of the Wikia's transgressions, I built up a lot of disdain for it solely due to that, and wished whoever was responsible would have their nostrils intimately familiarized with the buttcrack of a particularly unhygienic mancubus.

Also this.

I think the "you're leaving" window is supposed to be a good thing that protects you or something. Some very nice sites do it too, like pixiv.

kuchitsu said:

I think the "you're leaving" window is supposed to be a good thing that protects you or something. Some very nice sites do it too, like pixiv.

It can be to protect you, but in wikia's case I think it's just to scare the less experienced into staying there.

New user: "Oh man, is my computer gonna get virus by clicking here?'

Wikia: "No, but you'll be more of our bitch than John Romero will ever make you. You're ours now, fucker."

Koutana said:

It can be to protect you, but in wikia's case I think it's just to scare the less experienced into staying there.

New user: "Oh man, is my computer gonna get virus by clicking here?'

Wikia: "No, but you'll be more of our bitch than John Romero will ever make you. You're ours now, fucker."

That's the same reason why I don't trust mediafire. Seeing anything related to "your Adobe whatever needs to be updated" makes me think of that virus that did the same exact thing...

Also, on an unrelated side-note, about half of the zipped wads I download off mediafire cannot be unzipped on my phone... I don't think that's a mediafire problem, but I don't seem to have that problem with dropbox.

But yeah, wikia is the Devil.

Koutana said:

What separates them?

Ideology. One's a community resource, the other exists to make money as an advertising billboard with wiki content as the bait.

Heh heh heh...

easier said than done. Wikia is hesitant to let their wikis be removed, and when one attempts to leave Wikia, this happens.

Also wikia is an big ass site, and Doom wikia is just one of it's many sub-branches (Make an account on the walking dead wikia, and it will carry over to all the other wikias). Doomwiki.org is much broader in info and personally, I prefer that.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I still wonder why didn't you remove the Wikia, or is it impossible ?

Wikia is run by gangsters, they don't play by honest rules. What do you expect?

I think this or the earlier thread should be stickied (in this subforum).

For classic doom content, the Wikia is (now) woefully out-of-date.

I think there's a chance that it could cover Doom 4 more quickly than the One True Wiki. We could really use more editors interested in Doom 4.

The Doom Wikia is the Official TerryWAD Wiki, maintained by Terry fan Doomguy2000 aka Justice Infinity, and should only be updated with Terry content. All non-Terry content should be deleted as being out of scope and off-topic.

I hate how any time I try to look up something via the actual wiki in search and wikia is the first result, sometimes the first three results!

rdwpa said:

have their nostrils intimately familiarized with the buttcrack of a particularly unhygienic mancubus.

Somehow, you'd think that intimately familiarizing with the buttcrack of a mancubus would be more memorable.

Jon said:

I think this or the earlier thread should be stickied (in this subforum).

For classic doom content, the Wikia is (now) woefully out-of-date.

I think there's a chance that it could cover Doom 4 more quickly than the One True Wiki. We could really use more editors interested in Doom 4.

Yeah, hopefully people who care enough about the new Doom will update the right one. With the massive influx of potential editors and Wikias ridiculous page rankings though that might be an uphill battle. A lot of new Doomers are going to come across wikiaids and just start dumping new info on there obliviously.

Fonze said:

That's the same reason why I don't trust mediafire. Seeing anything related to "your Adobe whatever needs to be updated" makes me think of that virus that did the same exact thing...

I can't even download off mediafire. It's bullshit, gimme WADs.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I still wonder why didn't you remove the Wikia, or is it impossible ?

There's a way but it eludes me, currently. It involves reviews and blocking and ugh

Considering that Wikia does not allow deleting it, the only way to get rid of it is probably for some people to repurpose it for different content and then gradually removing the old stuff but making sure that the site itself appears to remain 'valuable', so that the goons don't step in and revert it.

Cyanosis said:

I hate how any time I try to look up something via the actual wiki in search and wikia is the first result, sometimes the first three results!

1. Go to doomwiki.org
  2. Right-click on the search box
  3. Select: (Firefox) "Add a Keyword for this Search" or (Chrome) "Add as search engine"
  4. Change the keyword to something short like "doom" or "dw"
  5. Press OK
  6. Now you can search doomwiki directly from the address bar just by typing the keyword at the start. No more wikia, no google results. If your keyword is "doom", typing "doom e1m1" will search the wiki for e1m1.

Or type "-wikia" (without the quotes) to Google, along with whatever word(s) you're searching for. That will ensure that all wikia results will be filtered out.

rdwpa said:

and wished whoever was responsible would have their nostrils intimately familiarized with the buttcrack of a particularly unhygienic mancubus.

i think some people wouldn't mind that at all, though.

I hate that Google invariably changes "doomwiki" to "doom wiki" when I try and search for a page, and then to add insult to injury, often fails to list the doomwiki.org version on the first page of search results at all.

If Wikia is as evil as everyone says, then I'm 100% sure that they paid Google to not list doomwiki.org on the first page of the results.

Anyway, this is probably a dumb question, but is there a theoretical possibility of Wikia taking legal action against doomwiki.org because of.. plagiarism? I mean, when doomwiki forked, it just copied the already existing content from Wikia, didn't it? So.. or Wikia just doesn't give a shit?
I mean, from Wikia's point of view, they would want to get rid of the doomwiki.org, because the existence of doomwiki.org makes Doom Wikia less popular, and they lose money from ads..

ChekaAgent said:

Anyway, this is probably a dumb question, but is there a theoretical possibility of Wikia taking legal action against doomwiki.org because of.. plagiarism? I mean, when doomwiki forked, it just copied the already existing content from Wikia, didn't it? So.. or Wikia just doesn't give a shit?

http://www.wikia.com/Licensing