Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frozti

User Friendly Source Port?

Frozti said:

Exactly what I want... Something polished, has all the features that source ports have but doesn't force you to mess with them, etc. I wish the steam version was like this, it would sell a lot more for sure...

Fired up odamex... Not what I wanted at all. Looks like to do what I want I'll need to set up a dedicated server every time I want to play co-op with a friend which makes saving a bitch if possible at all...

What do you guys mean by "demo"???

A demo in some other games (especially RTS games) is known as a "replay". A recording of someone else's play that you can play back in your game. Just like the demos you see if you sit at the title screen.

BrainMuncher said:

A demo in some other games (especially RTS games) is known as a "replay". A recording of someone else's play that you can play back in your game. Just like the demos you see if you sit at the title screen.

Oh okay, I thought everyone was referring only to the title screen demo, which is a weird feature to make a fuss about.

I'll try gzdoom and doomsday again, one of the two I'm sure will be good enough. Was doom originally 30fps? I always remember the game being so damn smooth...

Edward850 said:

While I'm unsure on the order of operations Vanilla takes from startup commands, this almost sounds like you weren't actually loading the save but instead just map warping. There's no logic in saved games to warp-on-error either way.

I think I just wasn't very clear. We would just warp to the map with a fresh start, instead, when we couldn't get the save games to load

Edward850 said:

Yes and yes. Vanilla, Chocolate, Prboom+ and Eternity have a persisting anomaly in that who you are depends on your connection order, not the save file. ZDoom will attempt to restore the correct players based off of player names.

Chocolate does not belong in that sentence as it isn't a peer-to-peer netgame port. It uses client-server for its netgames, just like Odamex and Zandronum.

Frozti said:

I downloaded legacy again to see if it would work... Well the main problem of the colors being messed up is gone, it started out broken for a few seconds then corrects. But not only is the frame rate capped at 30, but the other issue still resides. The mouse is very glitchy, some times I'll click and it won't stop shooting on it's own or won't shoot at all.

Are you guys positive there's no way to lan with doom retro because that would be a god send

Doom Retro doesn't have multiplayer at all. Use Doom Retro for vanilla and Boom maps and Zandronum for multiplayer and Zdoom mods.

Gez said:

Chocolate does not belong in that sentence as it isn't a peer-to-peer netgame port. It uses client-server for its netgames, just like Odamex and Zandronum.

This is an incredibly misleading statement. People focus on "client-server" but for Doom it isn't really the aspect of the networking engine you should be primarily concerned with.

That subthread started with the following question:

Ralphis said:

Do even the peer to peer multiplayer ports that still exist allow reliable re-loading of coop saves? Did vanilla even?

It was specifically a technical question about peer-to-peer multiplayer ports and vanilla.

Ever considered that what Ralphis actually meant was ports that use Doom's old networking protocol, without knowing what else to call it?
If you wanted to be really technical about it, Doom wasn't completely P2P either, if you used Dwango.

Both vanilla and chocolate work the exact same way, regardless of how ticcmds are routed.

Zandronum is giving me a head ache. Super simple to host a lan game and have my friends join. But there's two problems. One, my friends can't change their settings in game. Tried running as admin. Two, and I've encountered this on multiple source ports, it seems the maps are set up for multiplayer or something. There's at least one of each gun just sitting out in the open. Ugh... the multiplayer set up for legacy was perfect...

Zandronum/doomseeker is perfect, all I need to figure out now is why people in my server can't change their settings! We want to enable cross hair and possibly turn off free looks but the settings don't change in game. There's a flag for each of them in the server settings that do absolutely nothing.

Frozti said:

There's at least one of each gun just sitting out in the open.

That's because that's how multiplayer Doom works. Even in co-op, you get "deathmatch" item spawns, because those are just plain multiplayer spawns, and co-op is multiplayer.

Frozti said:

Those menus are basically only for singleplayer. You need to perform setting changes on the server executable, or through rcon if you're using Best Ever or something.

It was easy to change the map to single player layout for co-op. But it makes no sense that the "enable freelook" and "crosshair" check marks in the server settings do absolutely nothing. Those are the two things we want to change in settings but can't so we thought it would be fine since it's in server settings but does nothing there either.

The vanilla model assumes everybody has a good ping to everybody. The Chocolate model assumes everybody has a good ping to the host. Unfortunately over the Internet, neither is ever true.

Hell Theatre said:

But even so, it's clear that PrBoom is far from 'popular'. The numbers suggest it's rather niche.

That's to bad, it is a good faithful representation of classic doom. It'd be my recommendation if net was easy.

My goto is Zandronum. If I play an old map, I don't jump. There is also options to set up rules like no jumping... I'm not sure about mouse look. The lan/net play is about as easy as it gets. I haven't tried Odamex or Zdameon. Maybe I will tonight.

Edit: After you use zDoom for a while you start to get the hang of the menu. Certainly doesn't seem like a reason not to use it. ...though it would be cool to have a little tic box for, "original controls" that would override - yet save - your custom binding.

Voros said:

We've said all the options available havent we?

Well, nobody has mentioned Risen 3D. Yes, I know it has practically zero multi-player appeal, but I find the launcher very, very easy to understand/use.