Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
codeslicer

Gauntlet?

This is minor compared to the other stuff, but people are criticizing Doom for not having the gauntlet! You have your beaver tooth chainsaw! AND The brutal fist attacks! What could be more Doom than that Also Meleeing with guns is "So Halo" and "CoD"? How about it's so real life. Plus CoD is usually knife. Next time you see anyone pointing out false flaws, correct them.

I'll just sit back and wait for post hell :T

Haven't you got used already to the fact that now people are criticising Doom for absolutely everything?

codeslicer said:

This is minor compared to the other stuff, but people are criticizing Doom for not having the gauntlet! You have your beaver tooth chainsaw! AND The brutal fist attacks! What could be more Doom than that Also Meleeing with guns is "So Halo" and "CoD"? How about it's so real life. Plus CoD is usually knife. Next time you see anyone pointing out false flaws, correct them.

I'll just sit back and wait for post hell :T

Hold on, you have a point there, since CoD has a knife for it's Merle animation why can't Doom 4 use the punching animation instead of the lame rifle butt animation ?

NoirSuede said:

Hold on, you have a point there, since CoD has a knife for it's Merle animation why can't Doom 4 use the punching animation instead of the lame rifle butt animation ?

That's a good point, is it always butting them with the weapon animation? I could have sworn sometimes it looked like I punched them sometimes or rarely (can't quite remember as I didn't really try to melee all the time).

Well, I do have to admit, putting a 2 handed weapon down for a second, punching, and then pulling it back up would look kind of silly.

codeslicer said:

Well, I do have to admit, putting a 2 handed weapon down for a second, punching, and then pulling it back up would look kind of silly.

They wouldn't have to though, could just be an alteration of the animation where they tilt the gun to the side and punch them or something. It's not sillier than watching someone do the carlton dance in the middle of a match.

Piper Maru said:

I think you guys are running out of things to complain about.

Those darn id folk knew we would run out of things to complain about before the game releases to intentionally keep us quiet! RABBLE RABBLE

wheresthebeef said:

Those darn id folk knew we would run out of things to complain about before the game releases to intentionally keep us quiet! RABBLE RABBLE

Doomworld has to complain to Marty Stratton. Because he's the hero Doomworld deserves, but not the one it needs right now, so we'll badger him. Because he can take it, because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector, a dark knight.

Piper Maru said:

Doomworld has to complain to Marty Stratton. Because he's the hero Doomworld deserves, but not the one it needs right now, so we'll badger him. Because he can take it, because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector, a dark knight.

*Marty´s epic face of justice*

What is this gauntlet you speak of? Was it in other doom games? A gauntlet would be sweet actually haha. But the only time to melee will be punching off heads when I'm glory killing

The fists...

Lets see. "Doomslayer", a humanoid creature with terrible power and speed. Not human.
Thus, is like a god, who plays with the pawns. While humans use guns to finish the job as quickly as possible, this Doomslayer uses guns to stun the enemy, so that he can get up close and personal.

And the GKs are a much better looking "melee" than a knife that does some swipes, inflicting pointless damage.

Range to stun. Melee to finish. I love that.

LittleBurger said:

That's a good point, is it always butting them with the weapon animation? I could have sworn sometimes it looked like I punched them sometimes or rarely (can't quite remember as I didn't really try to melee all the time).

All gun butts, only weapon I didn't try and melee with was the gauss. Only time you see fists or boots is during glory kills

HellVain said:

Im pretty sure the campaign trailer showed tye doom marine punching a revenant to the face.

There's a lot of footage showing thy Doom Marine glory killing enemies by punching them in various ways.
Considering the variation in the punches and the satisfying effect they appear to have on the enemies, I'm a-ok with the fists being Glory Kills.

You guys are ruling out the gauntlets can i ask why? Is there any proof that there would be no gauntlets?

That is in interesting prospect come to think of it. They could conceivably include a Q3A-style Gauntlet as another melee power weapon (like the chainsaw is) that one-hit kills opponents.

Though I have to say that I consider the prospect of having a Gauntlet that works exactly like the one in Q3A (you know, not instant killing enemies) to be pointless as the current melee attack seems to work more or less like it.

Voros said:

The fists...

Lets see. "Doomslayer", a humanoid creature with terrible power and speed. Not human.
Thus, is like a god, who plays with the pawns. While humans use guns to finish the job as quickly as possible, this Doomslayer uses guns to stun the enemy, so that he can get up close and personal.

And the GKs are a much better looking "melee" than a knife that does some swipes, inflicting pointless damage.

Range to stun. Melee to finish. I love that.

Perfect summation of my sentiments!

Meleeing in Doom ( at least, in multiplayer ) has very little recovery time.

Butting someone with the stock allows for a near-instant swing animation and a very quick recovery animation, while still being instantly recognizable and coherent.

Not that there aren't other options, but if you have a quick melee that's actually quick, it's hard to beat rifle butting in terms of making it look and feel good.

Arctangent said:

Meleeing in Doom ( at least, in multiplayer ) has very little recovery time.

Butting someone with the stock allows for a near-instant swing animation and a very quick recovery animation, while still being instantly recognizable and coherent.

Not that there aren't other options, but if you have a quick melee that's actually quick, it's hard to beat rifle butting in terms of making it look and feel good.

True, but aesthetically it would make it look a little different than how melee normally is in modern shooters now (knife in the form of cod, or some melee with the gun in others). I guess it wouldn't really change much, but it would add some difference even if it is just an aesthetic change with the melee.

NoirSuede said:

Nah fuck all of that, I want the game to run in true 320x240 screen resolution with 256 colors. Fuck that 4k 3d rendering shit, I want to fucking go back to the 90s, so we'd better make it like that.

This is what complaints will level down to eventually.

Pretty sure people are running out of things to complain.

Oooh let me add thia to the list:

The doomguys helmet's visor is supposed to ve gray or blue! Why is it yellow like mastee chiefs?! Those damn id bastards probably think that because master chiefs helmet is cool, doomguy should be the same. Damn betheda...rabble rabble...

Or maybe:

There arent any withered trees?! Where are the withered trees?! This is supposed to be hell not frikkin sahara desert! Fuck this, hell without trees in a doom game is bullshit 1/10!

Aaand this maybe:

The lost souls dont looks firey ebough, add more realistic fire.

HellVain said:

Pretty sure people are running out of things to complain.

Oooh let me add thia to the list:

The doomguys helmet's visor is supposed to ve gray or blue! Why is it yellow like mastee chiefs?! Those damn id bastards probably think that because master chiefs helmet is cool, doomguy should be the same. Damn betheda...rabble rabble...

Or maybe:

There arent any withered trees?! Where are the withered trees?! This is supposed to be hell not frikkin sahara desert! Fuck this, hell without trees in a doom game is bullshit 1/10!

Aaand this maybe:

The lost souls dont looks firey ebough, add more realistic fire.

NO WE NEED TO GO DEEPER

We need to add DOS Support! Let's go back to extended memory and AUTOEXEC files!

Piper Maru said:

I swear if this game isn't as pixelated as the original from 20 years ago we riot.

AND if they dont put it in floppy disks. Floppy disks are clearly far more superior than dvds. I mean look at how thick they are!

codeslicer said:

This is minor compared to the other stuff, but people are criticizing Doom for not having the gauntlet!

Wait for Heretic if you want that.