Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaxxoon R

SEGA Allows Sharing Romhacks Through Steam Workshop

So very recently, SEGA revealed a little game for Steam that's essentially a virtual HUB room to play their numerous emulated Genesis ports in, both ones that you own and the small amount included with the HUB... not really all that exciting. Thing is though, one of the listed features on their blog post was support for Steam Workshop, which they later clarified on their Twitter to, indeed, be romhacks.

Now, they've not yet specified all the details (distribution format, terms of use), but this is really interesting to have an older, console-focused Japanese company like SEGA officially sanction modding/romhacking like this. Especially when someone like Nintendo is entirely hostile to the concept. All in all, SEGA's been making some good strides to improve PR lately, it'd be nice to see this continue.

I think "SEGA" is on the top of my list of possible tattoos --- all kidding aside.

If I were to operate a microchip in my skull, I'd have it play "SEGAAA" upon waking up every morning.

That's a good thing, SEGA supporting modding/romhacks, it shows that they care about the fans and they listen to thier suggestions, makes me wish other companies would do the same.

I'm so making a marble madness hack for Genesis. (I can't find any out there so looks like a DIY job ahead!)

That's interesting considering they cease and desisted that streets of rage remake thing a few years ago. That shit was in development for years.

I Recieved that thing for free from their last "Make love not war" Giveaways event, guess it's time to finally download it .

40oz said:

That's interesting considering they cease and desisted that streets of rage remake thing a few years ago. That shit was in development for years.

For a start that wasn't a romhack. It doesn't matter how long you're developing something if you're not actually allowed to develop it in the first place.

What they'll likely be doing here is ROM patching (or something akin to that effect), requiring actual ownership of the original ROM to use the hack in the first place. Certainly a lot more sound than "here is entire unlicensed game and modified assets for free".

There's no money to be made of a 22 year old Sega genesis game.

Unless they somehow port it as PC game without the need for emulators to run it.